Compact or sub compact tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractor brand recomendation

• Kubota

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • John Deere

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • New Holland

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Ls

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
Couple of observations about Kubotas bx line.

The drive over deck looks like a pain to deal with. I did not get one so I cannot comment on actually using one however it looked poorly designed and implemented. The John Deere deck system looked better.

If you are considering the Bx1880 versus the 2380 look it over in detail. The seats are different, the 1880 seat is rough.
Overall sizes of things are different.

If you finance the tractor they will ask about insurance, you will need to provide insurance information to them if you do not purchase the insurance through the dealer. Talk to your insurance company before going to the dealer.

They are selling a ton of equipment this year.

So if I have home owners insurance and the tractor never leaves the property is that enough?

I think the bx1880 is under powered I could be wrong but I'd like at least 23hp. But I know that's the tractor they are pushing this year.

You would need to check with you insurance company and you or they will most likely have to supply some sort of proof of coverage in order to secure Kubota financing. Many home owners policies will not cover the tractor and an additional policy rider is written. The cost of that rider can vary quite a bit. The spread sheet for kubotas insurance costs per thousand dollars financed is in the fine print on thier website and sale advertisements.

So if I have home owners insurance and the tractor never leaves the property is that enough?

I think the bx1880 is under powered I could be wrong but I'd like at least 23hp. But I know that's the tractor they are pushing this year.
Kubota finance is going to want to see the tractor and implements listed specifically on your HO policy. Yes you are generally limited as to the scope of use, but that's specific to your policy.

Get the insurance though Kubota. It covers the tractor anywhere no matter who's using it. The only thing it doesn't cover is wear items. Oil, filters, blades. Its not that expensive either I have my tractor on our HO policy, but I opted for the kubota insurance on the recently purchased Z726. $10 a month.

sent from a field

If its 10 dollars a month or something like that it's fine. I have Allstate insurance so they might cover something like that being a big company.

This is something I was not aware of but is good to know.

My plan is to look at the cheaper Korean tractors and kubota and go from there. I always thought John deere was everyones favorite but from what I see kubota seems to be more desirable. I dont think I'll buy a deere because you are paying for a name and I'm not sure the quality is what it was back in the 90s and I dont want a plastic hood.

The insurance is based on the total purchase price. So you'll be a bit higher on a tractor.

Look into what both options cover. I hear the kubota insurance is a much better option than a rider on your homeowners. There aren't near the stipulations to get something covered.

sent from a field

The guys on tractorbynet seem to be generally very pleased by Kubota's insurance (KTAC). Especially the guys with cabs that need to replace broken doors and windows.

I googled it a bit yesterday and it seems that the KTAC probably covers a lot more that the homeowners. I'm sure the home owners would cover a total loss but if I do some good damage to it they wouldn't help me.

Is this just kubota or do other brands require insurance when you finance?

I'm pretty sure that anything that is financed needs to be insured.

Yea idk I've only financed a suv and stuff from best buy or home depot. The suv needed full coverage, stuff from stores does not need anything so I had no idea. I paid cash for my house so insurance didn't matter.

I figured the tractor was covered by the homeowners insurance like all my other stuff is.

The problem with home owners insurance is it rarely involves enough coverage value on specific items to be useful in securing a loan, along with the company issuing the loan wanting in writing that the insurance actually covers the item in question, let alone the value of it for the duration of the loan.

Lots of folks have expensive tools having never looked to see what the total value of coverage included in the home owners policy for tools, let alone deductibles and the way it is payed out. A $15000.00 tractor might only have $5,000.00 worth of coverage on a typical home owners policy, before the deductible, simply because it is defined as a lawn care tool. If the structure the $15000.00 tractor is stored in burns down that $5,000.00 covers all lawn care tools damaged in the fire, not just the tractor.

My plan is to look at the cheaper Korean tractors and kubota and go from there. I always thought John deere was everyones favorite but from what I see kubota seems to be more desirable. I dont think I'll buy a deere because you are paying for a name and I'm not sure the quality is what it was back in the 90s and I dont want a plastic hood.
I've been messing with smallish tractors since the early 80s' & Kubota is top quality! I've had old John Deere guys tell me with the newer rigs Kubota is a better tractor. We have a 35 year old L3750DT that has been beat to death, but still goin strong. & a newer L3800DT that I love!

My local new Holland dealer has a MF 1705 for sale its 2 years old with 400 hours. Loader and mower deck and r4 tires for 11500. It's making me re think my decision now. At that price I could get an almost new tractor with everything I need. It's a sub compact but half the price of the compact. It would be a lot more affordable.

If it's between a subcompact and a compact, given what you've said I'd actually lean towards a sub.

A Bx type of tractor makes a great mower. Skidding firewood size logs, lifting rounds, easily within it's abilities. Glorified wheelbarrow...check.

Won't dig ponds and skid big timber but anything that would won't mow.

In your situation I would go sub but I understand your point about spending a bit more if you're locking into a loan.

Yea idk even a brand new koiti sub is 7 grand cheaper than a compact and idk if I can justify the extra 7 grand. I was thinking about it as I was mowing the lawn today and I mow under a lot of trees and around a lot of things.

If I could get a slightly used sub, which is all I need, for 12 grand less than a new compact I think I would be happy. I can still have a loader and a box blade or snow plow or blower. But if the thing is to big to mow them I'm paying on a sitting machine and back to the old rider.

And the wife said I couldn't mow around stuff with a big tractor.

Another thing I've noticed, people complain about them being tinker toys, glorified lawn mowers, and owned by yuppies like its a bad thing.

They go quick but I come across some Bx's that are spotless. You can tell they've never been worked. As a buyer in the used market that's a beautiful thing. Find a used skidsteer that looks like it could sit on the showroom floor. They aren't out there, every guy in the crew has had his go with em. This coming from a skidsteer fan.

Another thing I've noticed, people complain about them being tinker toys, glorified lawn mowers, and owned by yuppies like its a bad thing.

They go quick but I come across some Bx's that are spotless. You can tell they've never been worked. As a buyer in the used market that's a beautiful thing. Find a used skidsteer that looks like it could sit on the showroom floor. They aren't out there, every guy in the crew has had his go with em. This coming from a skidsteer fan.

The first part of this quote is exactly what I fear about buying a sub compact. I had the large old tractor that could lift anything and lift the front of the tractor off the ground. It was to big and heavy for my property. I was looking at the bx2380 specs last night and they seem to have the most ground clearance which helps me feel more like it's a tractor and not a riding lawn mower.

Back