Compact or sub compact tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractor brand recomendation

• Kubota

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • John Deere

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • New Holland

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Ls

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
I'm just thinking those times when the grass grows a lot in the spring and you could mow every 3 days the extra power might be good. Either way I dont want to buy less than a 22 hp tractor. I have used the 80s ford from work with 17hp and you would not know it only had 17hp when doing loader work or pulling stuff.

For the 18hp BX, you will run out of traction before power. That’s assuming you’re in low range. As mentioned above, the power difference will be noticed when using the PTO implements like the mower or snow blower.

That's y I figure i need at least 22hp for a 60 inch mower. I dont want to have issues in tall or wet grass and mowing will be about 80 percent of the tractors life unless I buy a snow blower. I was also looking at a bx worh the pto bagger so that with the mower deck probably needs more power to operate smoothly.

I bought a JD 3038 E 18 months ago. 0% interest. Got the FEL, tandem trailer, 8" post hole digger, and tiller for 27k. Payment is under 450/month. This tractor is awesome. I use it for everything besides mowing. I financed a Husq commercial 61" zt 0% interest and would never mow with a regular mower again. The mower came with a husq 562xp and husq weedeater. Payment is 159/month. It was cheaper to get the mower, saw, and weedeater than the mower itself.

The zero percent interest is great. I already owe less than what I could sell my tractor for while keeping all of the implements.

For car purchases the 0% interest isn't always the best deal. Many times you lose all of the rebates. Our last new car purchase was 2016 Ford Taurus. It was better for us to take the rebates and high Ford interest rate for 1 month. We than refinanced for low interest rate after the first month. The rebates were several thousand dollars which more than offset the interest paid vs the 0% interest route.

My plan is to sell the 3038 and get a size bigger this fall or next year. My biggest issue with the tractor is its narrow wheel base. I have hilly land and it's stability with load leaves a lot to be desired. You can not get a belly mower for the 3038.

I agree with others who recommend a ZT mower and a used tractor. I know that isn't what the OP wants to do. Good luck with your purchase. You can't really go wrong with any of the brands. I plan on getting another JD but will look into the other brands again. Last time the JD was the best deal for my needs and I have not been disappointed. It is an awesome machine that I work hard.

I bought a 2012 3038E awhile back. It only had 200 hours on it and had a brand new motor, as the original owner lost the coolant and burned up the original one. A JD mechanic bought it and did it as an after-work project. It is really a stout tractor. It loses traction, long before it loses power. I have used it to load firewood into my 12-foot dump trailer and to pull my four-foot bush hog, plus hauling gravel etc. It has really taken a lot of work out of the firewood thing. I bought the tractor/loader, for $15,000. I am just about to 300 hours on it!

So true gentleman!!!

I don't always need a Kioti NX series, but when a big job arises it sure comes in handy. For instance, several months ago my neighbor had 2 large oak trees dropped. Both approx. 28-30" in diameter. I was able to get the wood for free, and get it to my house quickly. A series size or two under mine would have required two-three times the trips and a bunch of short logs/rounds versus much fewer regular sized logs. Another example, I had to pick up and move a 2 cubic yard dumpster full of trash at my house approx. a 1200' distance away for the driveway to get paved. The Kioti with forks picked it right up, a Kubota BX sized machine...….yeah no.

For driving on grass a lot though a smaller machine would be gentler on the turf. Hence the addition of the Ford 1700.

I think the real solution here is to have multiple machines. Seriously, its pretty hard to get one machine that's perfectly suited for all tasks.

I agree. That's y I think get the sub compact for my needs now then if I need a heavy tractor and loader down the road I can get an older gear transmission tractor for pretty cheap. I see a lot of people with that combo around here.

Originally I was thinking a compact tractor to cover both sides but after mowing all summer I think it would be to big for my lawn lay out.

I also dont like the idea of the extra weight on my septic field.

Just got my 6' EA Landscape rake... Showing scale comparison on a B2650....

4dc7a678af7336ea55478fead2dd0eb7.jpg

I'm not sure about traveling to get a tractor. The old f150 has 180k on it and towing a tractor a long way might be risky. There's a john deere near here that's about the same for 9500. I have been so against the newer john deere that I would hate to buy one but I still look at them. They seem to be cheaper than kubota but I also think the kubota is a better quality but the price is the deciding factor. Best tractor for the price wins. Obviously I would pay a bit more for a kubota and a lot less for a mahindra/tym.

I don't think that's a bad deal at all. That's probably half off new and it has minimal hours.

So I have inquired about a 2016 Massey Ferguson gc1705 with 400 hours for 10900. They said they could do 10k for it and I guess my financing was approved so now I need to figure out if that's something I want to do. I have looked at the tractor several times in person and online.

I wanted the kubota but the price was more than I wanted to pay and the more I looked at massey Ferguson the more I liked them. They are a Japanese made tractor and that's what I was looking for. Not as nice as the kubota but that's ok if it saves me some cash I'll lose a few bells and whistles.

Latest posts

Back