Compact or sub compact tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractor brand recomendation

• Kubota

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • John Deere

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • New Holland

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Ls

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
Though zero turn mowers are fast, i hate having to keep both hands on the handles to make'er go.
If you mow next to or under limbs, you can't lift or push a limb out of your way and still drive at the same time.

If you have normal sized hands you can hold both controls with 1 hand. At least that's how I've done it on my mower, and the couple others I've run.

A ZTR will mow the best being that's what they are specifically built for.

I have a JD 1023E ...60" Mower Deck , FEL and rock rake .. Its good for what I do around here ,there is not a lot of ground clearance so you would need good trails to your wood ... I buy my wood cut and split these days and it comes in real handy moving it around .. The rake and FEL keep the driveway in good shape .. Its probably more than I need for my 3 acres .. But given my kids homes are close by it stays busy doinf the odd jobs needed around a home ...Its not something you can beat on , its a light duty tractor .. It works great for my needs no regrets ...

Just to add I wouldn't want any bigger tractor given my mowing conditions.. trees and things that I need to mow around..

The last part is the reason I'm not looking for any bigger than 25hp. I have a lot of open space but I have a lot of trees too. Most of them are no big deal to get around but some spots I may have to make some adjustments to get a 5 foot mower in. It takes me 3 hours to cut the grass now which is usually 2 nights after work. I'm hoping to do it in 2 hours.

I have a Kabota B5200 sub compact tractor that I bought in 1985. I mow 4 acres with it plus disk my garden, push dirt with the box blabe. I don't have the FEL option because it's so small it would be useless. Though zero turn mowers are fast, i hate having to keep both hands on the handles to make'er go.
If you mow next to or under limbs, you can't lift or push a limb out of your way and still drive at the same time.
Did I mention it's a 3 cylinder diesel! It holds 3 gallons of fuel and I can mow my 4 acre lot twice on that 3 gallons of fuel.
Mine has the 48'' belly mower so it floats and cuts perfectly level with the ground, Unlike a brush hog that doesn't float.
33 years and still going strong.

I see a lot of those old tractors around. I can't do a zero turn I like to cut the grass and drink a beverage and sometimes have a cigar. It's my only time to myself in the summer. I don't want to be flying around and let go to have a sip and flip the thing or have to stop every time I need a drink.

3 cylinder diesel, with 3 point hitch, front and rear PTO, 48'' belly mower.
This little tractor is a work horse. It has everything a full sized tractor has, only smaller.
She's surprisingly heavy for a small tractor at 1056lbs.

jrxz6t.jpg

344un0z.jpg

The wife will never allow that. I'm looking at like 20 grand for everything I need. I looked at zero turns a while ago and unless you spend 5k or more it's a pile of crap no better than the box store rider I have now.

Buy the Biggest Kubota Package you think you can afford.

I predict You will start sending me Christmas Cards.

7da7b7bfa6e50e0a81d2b4140fb0d67c.jpg

The last part is the reason I'm not looking for any bigger than 25hp. I have a lot of open space but I have a lot of trees too. Most of them are no big deal to get around but some spots I may have to make some adjustments to get a 5 foot mower in. It takes me 3 hours to cut the grass now which is usually 2 nights after work. I'm hoping to do it in 2 hours.

It sounds like a ZT is your best choice & then Buy a Used Tractor.

You can run a ZT with 1 hand: the controls almost touch on ours.

It sounds like a ZT is your best choice & then Buy a Used Tractor.

You can run a ZT with 1 hand: the controls almost touch on ours.

On second thought, how big is the Area you mention that is tight?

Would you be better served with a large weedeater in those few places, & mow the other 99% of it with a larger Tractor & mower?, or is it a lot of ground to cover?

I would also consider a commercial self propelled walk behind & a new larger FEL with bushog.

The larger machines are just so handy.

On second thought, how big is the Area you mention that is tight?

Would you be better served with a large weedeater in those few places, & mow the other 99% of it with a larger Tractor & mower?, or is it a lot of ground to cover?

I would also consider a commercial self propelled walk behind & a new larger FEL with bushog.

The larger machines are just so handy.

I have about 2 in a half acres of open grass. One area out by the road then the woods then another large area around my house. There's some small areas in between. Around the pond is tough but I want to clear out all the way around it but I don't have a tractor. I push mow around the house and swing set. I am willing to adjust my land scape to accommdate a tractor. I have a 46 inch deck now.

It sounds like you are mowing about as much as I do roughly I do about 2 1/2 acres ... I also have a small jd lawn tractor with a 48" deck I've used for years before buying the 1023... there is a big time difference with the 1023 probably takes 1/2 as much time .. I did have to limb up some of the trees to get the 1023 in under them and that's with the roll bar down .. Some of the mowing where its tight I just jump on the small mower for ... good luck man

you might be able to get into the 1025 R model a step up from the 1023 still has the small tires but is suitable for the small back hoe which you could add at a later date... as I remember when I got the 1023 there was about a 3 thousand dollar difference ...

I have about 2 in a half acres of open grass. One area out by the road then the woods then another large area around my house. There's some small areas in between. Around the pond is tough but I want to clear out all the way around it but I don't have a tractor. I push mow around the house and swing set. I am willing to adjust my land scape to accommdate a tractor. I have a 46 inch deck now.

You could easily do you adjusting with a medium size Tractor & a FEL.

Just a quick search of the Used in my area:

KUBOTA
https://athensga.craigslist.org/grd/d/kubota/6519280842.html

kubota L3901 tractor for sale
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/hvo/d/kubota-l3901-tractor-for-sale/6473025182.html

This would probably be my choice in your situation.
2017 Kubota Tractor
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/grd/d/2017-kubota-tractor/6494383034.html

I mow around 3 acres. And I have 5 and a 600 foot gravel drive way that needs yearly maintenance.

I guess my new question is, do you want that work to go quick, or do you want it to take forever?

I’m getting mixed signals here.

Not everything, it doesn't have "draft" position on the 3 point for one thing...

SR
Well not everyone is a beginner and needs it. It's useless in most cases. A good operator can make those adjustments with the up/down control. Besides, not all large tractors have that feature ether.

I guess my new question is, do you want that work to go quick, or do you want it to take forever?

I’m getting mixed signals here.

My 46 inch mower takes a while. 60inch would be faster. The wheel barrow takes for ever fixing the driveway a loader would be faster. Where are the mixed signals I want a tractor lol.

Latest posts

Back