Compact or sub compact tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractor brand recomendation

• Kubota

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • John Deere

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • New Holland

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Ls

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
My 46 inch mower takes a while. 60inch would be faster. The wheel barrow takes for ever fixing the driveway a loader would be faster. Where are the mixed signals I want a tractor lol.
60'' takes more horse power then 48''. 48'' will get into places a 60'' wont. A simple box blade will work wonders on a gravel driveway.

My 46 inch mower takes a while. 60inch would be faster. The wheel barrow takes for ever fixing the driveway a loader would be faster. Where are the mixed signals I want a tractor lol.
I'm not trying to sell you on the deere ....My sons driveway is about the same as yours little longer maybe ... It got to the point that it needed some work last year.. So he got a load of gravel 8 or 10 yards "not real sure now " and another load of loam to repair some spots around the lawn ... anyway I took the tractor with the rock rake down and we went at it ... We probably worked 6 hours give or take fixing the driveway bad spots and raking them in plus putting the loam around and raking that out .. very little hand work ... I can't even imagine how long that would've taken with a shovel , rake and wheel barrel I do know he would've been on his own I'm to old for that stuff .. lol

I boils down to how much money you want to spend and if the machine is going to do the things you need it to do . For my all around needs the 1023 is more than enough ...Any bigger I'm going to need two tractors one for the lawn one for the driveway ... Like others have said go look them over sit on them see what you like ... I heard an ad today "as low 99.00 a month zero interest" on this things... anyhow that's enough out of me good luck Mike

Well your wife said you couldn’t xxxx, so I wasn’t sure if you wanted to do things quickly, or spend all your time
on your current chores to keep from taking on additional chores.

A L39/4701 Kubota package would make quick work of your current task, plus give you the power to do more facilitating for future cleanup.

I'm not trying to sell you on the deere ....My sons driveway is about the same as yours little longer maybe ... It got to the point that it needed some work last year.. So he got a load of gravel 8 or 10 yards "not real sure now " and another load of loam to repair some spots around the lawn ... anyway I took the tractor with the rock rake down and we went at it ... We probably worked 6 hours give or take fixing the driveway bad spots and raking them in plus putting the loam around and raking that out .. very little hand work ... I can't even imagine how long that would've taken with a shovel , rake and wheel barrel I do know he would've been on his own I'm to old for that stuff .. lol

I boils down to how much money you want to spend and if the machine is going to do the things you need it to do . For my all around needs the 1023 is more than enough ...Any bigger I'm going to need two tractors one for the lawn one for the driveway ... Like others have said go look them over sit on them see what you like ... I heard an ad today "as low 99.00 a month zero interest" on this things... anyhow that's enough out of me good luck Mike

The brand is not important I'm open to any brand at this point. The issue is the price. Why is a sub compact not much cheaper than a compact. That's my deciding factor. When spending 17k why not spend 20k and get the bigger one. Idk what the John Deere cost. I remember last summer at the county fare a 2023 was 199 a month and I'm assuming something down. What's the 1023 with the loader? 159 a month Idk. If it were 99 a month for the size tractor I want with a deck and a loader I would do it. There's always the fine print. I'm fine with a deere or Kubota but I want to make sure I'm not paying for a name. John Deere seems to be the most expensive.

Well your wife said you couldn’t xxxx, so I wasn’t sure if you wanted to do things quickly, or spend all your time
on your current chores to keep from taking on additional chores.

A L39/4701 Kubota package would make quick work of your current task, plus give you the power to do more facilitating for future cleanup.

I don't have the money for that size of a tractor though. I get it a bigger tractor will work a lot better but I work heating and cooling and the construction trades don't pay that well. Why do u think no one wants to do them anymore lol.

I don't have the money for that size of a tractor though. I get it a bigger tractor will work a lot better but I work heating and cooling and the construction trades don't pay that well. Why do u think no one wants to do them anymore lol.

Because they’ve been shunned by the High schools & society as a whole.

An Honest Living is unattractive to many young whippersnappers because many times there is Manuel Labor involved.

The links in my above quoted Post are in or near your posted Budget.

I’ve never heard a Fellow say he wished he’d gotten less Tractor, but I’ve often heard of wishing he’d gotten more.

The brand is not important I'm open to any brand at this point. The issue is the price. Why is a sub compact not much cheaper than a compact. That's my deciding factor. When spending 17k why not spend 20k and get the bigger one. Idk what the John Deere cost. I remember last summer at the county fare a 2023 was 199 a month and I'm assuming something down. What's the 1023 with the loader? 159 a month Idk. If it were 99 a month for the size tractor I want with a deck and a loader I would do it. There's always the fine print. I'm fine with a deere or Kubota but I want to make sure I'm not paying for a name. John Deere seems to be the most expensive.
I think that's like before implements but I'm not sure Mike .. Mine was 17600 , with loader and mower no money down I pay 209.00 that includes JD insurance life of the loan ...

I will say again, please, test drive the John Deere and the Kubota BEFORE you buy. There is no comparison you will see

No, there really isn’t.

a9e29a8b83259a1b45ba16a481c9c355.jpg

I priced a BX last year with a loader, 54" deck and a grass catcher and I think it was 16,300. I wouldn't really want a bigger tractor for mostly mowing and mulching. Maybe it's a niche thing. If I get it I'll sell my 52" Snapper pro walk behind. I'll loose a little in the tight work area, but not much. I'd need it more for mowing. The loader worked great for loading my dump trailer when my BIL cleared his building lot. It will hold all the gravel or topsoil you can put in it, but it won't dig. With the loader and mower on it will drive right up the ramp on my trailer. My 5X8 dump has side boards that measure a load of fire wood at exactly 1 cord. If I go bigger tractor I need a bigger trailer. If I go bigger trailer I need a bigger truck. The BX makes a package that works perfect with my Ram 1500.

I priced a BX last year with a loader, 54" deck and a grass catcher and I think it was 16,300. I wouldn't really want a bigger tractor for mostly mowing and mulching. Maybe it's a niche thing. If I get it I'll sell my 52" Snapper pro walk behind. I'll loose a little in the tight work area, but not much. I'd need it more for mowing. The loader worked great for loading my dump trailer when my BIL cleared his building lot. It will hold all the gravel or topsoil you can put in it, but it won't dig. With the loader and mower on it will drive right up the ramp on my trailer. My 5X8 dump has side boards that measure a load of fire wood at exactly 1 cord. If I go bigger tractor I need a bigger trailer. If I go bigger trailer I need a bigger truck. The BX makes a package that works perfect with my Ram 1500.

All Solid Points.

So why won't it dig? Like at all? I have some parts of the woods i want to clear and I'd like to scrape the top few inches.

I have no intention of trailering it anywhere unless i buy more land some day. In which case I would probably buy a dump trailer.

Mowing will be my main use and other house hold chores and driveway stone.

So why won't it dig? Like at all? I have some parts of the woods i want to clear and I'd like to scrape the top few inches.

I have no intention of trailering it anywhere unless i buy more land some day. In which case I would probably buy a dump trailer.

That takes weight, power and down pressure.

No, there really isn’t.

a9e29a8b83259a1b45ba16a481c9c355.jpg
Very Nice setup! Neighbor has an L5740, loader, forks, backhoe and snow bucket. I am the little guy on block TC33D, loader, bucket forks and back blade. Best thing I did was let him use mine, before he purchased his. Now, I get to borrow his!

You said $20,000 for a budget, right?

kubota L3901 tractor for sale
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/hvo/d/kubota-l3901-tractor-for-sale/6473025182.html
This is close.

Back