Compact Tractor Grapple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wowzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to see what people around here use on their compact tractors for buckets, i want a grapple but i'm looking at like 1300 USD to 2000 USD for just the grapple. and if you go to Bobcat, or John Deere they want my first born child. i have thought about building my own. but by the time a buy everything new your around the same ish cost. with hydraulics and such. or i could start collecting but then i would be a year or 5. So what do you use on the compact tractor for scrounging?

i have found these:

http://www.anbomanufacturing.com/rock-root-tree-grapples-gr-m
http://blog.everythingattachments.com/new-best-in-class-root-grapple-for-sub-compact-tractors/
http://www.everythingattachments.com/Root-Rake-Grapple-For-Kubota-BX-p/ea-bx-wrrg.htm

Or stone forks.
https://www.messicks.com/attachment/category/113/rock-skeleton-buckets#&gid=3&pid=1
http://www.everythingattachments.co...Rock-Bucket-p/brdco-55-rock-bucket-108603.htm

I'm not sure where they are made but I like the Frost Bite grapple. One thing to keep in mind is that small tractors can't lift that much to start with so don't add any more weight than necessary. Just my .02

I'm not sure where they are made but I like the Frost Bite grapple. One thing to keep in mind is that small tractors can't lift that much to start with so don't add any more weight than necessary. Just my .02

Yes I'm trying to find something like 200 max 275 lbs max range and that's been a bit of a struggle everyone makes the grapple with 1/4" and min 50" wide. I was hope for 44" to 48" and something made with like 3/16" AR or abrasive resistance.

That's why I was kinda thinking root grapple. And add a stone fork. 2 good combinations to work with as a have the quick connect on the tractor

Wowzer, I've had pretty much every type of grapple out there and still have a bunch of different ones. For your smaller tractor a manure bucket with round tines is real handy. I can't remember if you have skid steer attachment on your tractor or not but if you do you need to come over and try out some of mine sometime. My stone fork one is on a site up in Bala clearing a lot, it was pretty much useless for splits, it would just push into the pile. I was bidding on a root grapple last week but missed them both in the last 2 seconds. Haven't tried a true root grapple yet. Around $1250 for a 66" Wildcat one, they aren't pretty but they work. You should stop in sometime on your way to Halls Hill. Pretty easy to spot my place, I'm the one on Zion Road south side with the fenceline of junk.
Regardless, make sure you try before you buy.

$2k is dirt cheap. They are 4-7k for good ones for skid steers. I have a Quick Attach 72" and Caterpillar 80"
Big issue with baby tractor is keeping the attachment light. The grapples I have are in the 1000lb area.

I got the artillian forks this fall and have had good luck with them so far. He makes a sweet modular grapple system too.

for logs and regular job use i use this one on my bobcat

66_brush_front_left.jpg

for firewood or rocks the rock bucket style works better. it also does finish landscaping better than the root style grapple above. this is a picture of the one i have callded a skeleton grapple

13.jpg

I got the artillian forks this fall and have had good luck with them so far. He makes a sweet modular grapple system too.

looks like some pretty good stuff in there. really wish our dollar was a bit better hard trying to buy stuff from the states when the dollar is like 1.3 to 1.4. and then getting hit with duty and taxes.

Wowzer, I've had pretty much every type of grapple out there and still have a bunch of different ones. For your smaller tractor a manure bucket with round tines is real handy. I can't remember if you have skid steer attachment on your tractor or not but if you do you need to come over and try out some of mine sometime. My stone fork one is on a site up in Bala clearing a lot, it was pretty much useless for splits, it would just push into the pile. I was bidding on a root grapple last week but missed them both in the last 2 seconds. Haven't tried a true root grapple yet. Around $1250 for a 66" Wildcat one, they aren't pretty but they work. You should stop in sometime on your way to Halls Hill. Pretty easy to spot my place, I'm the one on Zion Road south side with the fenceline of junk.
Regardless, make sure you try before you buy.

hoping to get going next week maybe by chance this weekend around Halls Hills there i might see if i can swing in. i was thinking about maybe even making a trip over and seeing Smyth and seeing if he has ever made on up, and seeing what he can do about getting AR plate.

There is a guy from this forum that makes them...Ryan Groat he is from Michigan.
Ryan
R&H Tractor Services

as much as a grapple would be really nice especially for brush , I was thrilled when the farm bough a set of forks this year it made wood removal so much easier
brush is also much better if I make piles he can spear/slide under them with the forks and lift and tilt back and make it over to the brush pile loosing very little.

I have worked with a few skid-steers with forks , and if you can't afford a grapple it sure makes much easier work than the bucket or chain skidding

I have been thinking about making up a pallet with a small work bench so that it can for a ride right out in the woods and have all my gas and oil and a vice for sharpening and buckets to hold the chains , straps ,wedges and other tools

Trapper_Pete, I buy cheap wood benches at auctions or maybe you can find one at a yard sale. This one was $10. I move it around the bush wherever I'm working. The plastic tote is full of my saws, fuel, oil etc.
I use my forks all the time for firewood, I also bought an extra fork for the middle so I can pick up more brush and my 32" owb wood.
IMG_20160916_164455.jpg

Back