Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compare

• 372XP

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • 385XP

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

fun_chopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a friend that is tossed up about 2 saws. The Husky 372XP (I have this one) and the 385XP. Has anyone ran both? which one is better in you opinion? Is the 385XP worth the extra bucks?

I am in the same spot. Either going to go with a 372 PP or get the 385 and put a mod. muffler on it. The 385 is supposed to really rip, there is a member here who has a 385pp and as far as I can tell loves it as well as a few guys that have 372's that have been PP and love them just the same. I guess it comes down to intended use, and how much weight you want to lug around!
I sure would like a 385 though!!!

-Drew

I own both and if we are talking stock saws, there isn`t enough power difference between the two to justify the extra weight and cost for most uses unless everything you cut is over 30" or so. The 372 is a very capable saw when properly maintained.

Russ

Hello,
Unless your cutting big timber where you consistently run a 24 inch bar and bigger then I would stick with the 372. In my opinion one of the best saws husky has put out since the 288 and for the price of around 550$ you can hardly go wrong. However, if you have the need for a bigger saw the 385 should keep you satisfied as well. Also if you are interested their are three guys on this site that can really make those saws get up and talk......with some gentle modifications.....Let us know what you decide, Wade

Well I have run both saws and they are both great like Russ said stock saws there is'nt enough of a difference to warrant the extra weight,but if your talking about modfying them I would go with the 385,as everyone knows I do have a PP385 that Dan did and it is one he!! of a beast to use,the saw is just about unstopable..I soon will be the proud owner of a PP372 as well from the man himself :D..There is a 2 lb weight difference but personally I dont mind the extra since it makes up for it when I throw a 36" bar on it and bury it in a 30" DBH Red Oak and she just keeps going an going..not to down the 372 by all means because it is also a mean saw...I guess it really all depends on your situation either way I dont think you could possibly go wrong..

Good luck on your decision

Rob.

Go for the 385, you can put a 16" bar on it for firewooding. It is very light. Right now I am using one by KD with a 24" Cannon. The 372 is good, but bigger is better.
John

I'm with John on this one 385XP all the way :blob2: Thats a darn good idea I think I'l try a 16" bar on that saw when I start to cut cordwood again..it should be interesting too say the least.good idea JL

Rob.

Originally posted by HORSELOGGER
But Stihl is the better saw.

We are not talking about boat anchors. We are talkin saws. 372 is enuff for everyone here except the most power hungry freaks

Huskyman,

Personally I love my boat anchor...and my boat anchor loves to eat hardwood :rolleyes: You've just spent too much time with the pink 55 thats all ..

Rob

Look at that mess!!! Rob didn't your mother teach you to clean up after yourself???:D :p What were we talking about again??:p

Ryan,

Clean what,where,who me no could'nt be...That was in the middle of the job man there was no clean up involved just run all the slash over with the skidder when finished..I like those jobs I hate having to chip brush...thats why I did'nt start a tree service :rolleyes: Well uh I dont know nevermind..

Rob.

Chip it?? Running it over is defenately better (for my back anyway):D How many bdf did you get off that job??? looks like those trees should have had 300-350bdf per tree.:Monkey:

I would go for the 372 or the jonsey 2171. Just my thoughts:angel:

Hey Ryan,

Yup I agree running over slash with a machine is the way to go as far as I'm concerned..that job was a 1 acre backyard extension I did for my sister it scaled out to be just over 7 mbf of Pine and 2 mbf of Red Oak..I would go with a Henry poer ported 372 0r 385..I'm particular to the PP385 myself :D but thats just me

Rob.

Latest posts

Back