compatible ignition coil for echo sv-4/b 2 stroke engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukgardener

Reaction score
Hello :)

We have acquired a mantis 2 stroke tiller that has a dead ignition coil. We contacted mantis uk and they have quoted us £85 plus for a new ignition coil. For me that is way to much to pay for a ignition coil.

I would like to know please would any other ignition coil like from a homelite, Husqvarna, stihl, mcculloch be compatible on a Echo sv-4/b Type 1 Engine?

This is rather frustrating as I can get everything I need to get this engine working but I cannot get a coil without having to rob a bank first!

I have telephoned Echo UK and they have said that the ignition coil is not under any lifetime warranty in UK.

Thanks in advance all for your time and assistance.
Ukgardener
UK

Apologies for dragging up this thread but I'm looking for the same thing. Let me know if you have any luck please.

Is this an old breaker points engine or is it a newer cdi ignition engine? On some newer tiller units the engine is the same as the hedge clipper, but the ignition is configured to run counter clockwise instead of clockwise. These ignitions are/were identified by the kill switch wire color here in the us. The black wired module goes with the hedger whereas the tiller gets the red is how I remember it. I would go by part number to make sure.

Here is a link to the US part finder, make sure you enter the model no exact including the dash -.
https://echoinc.partsmartweb.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF

The SV4 engine coil is exactly the same as the one used on Echo's HC-1500 hedge trimmer.
It's the usual part that doesn't exist aftermarket, it cannot be easily adapted from anything else and which is so expensive brand new relative to the trimmer's price you wonder what the good people at Echo had been drinking.

Occasionally, very occasionally, you can find one used but as it's not a particularly enlightened design they tend to be in the hen teeth category.

My brother runs a business rebuilding coils for old magnetos. Maybe I'll get him to see if he can have a go at one of these.
I've got two of them sitting here in the workshop. One is OK but the other seems to cut out after about 20 minutes of use. It might not even be the coil that's the problem, I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

My brother runs a business rebuilding coils for old magnetos. Maybe I'll get him to see if he can have a go at one of these.
I've got two of them sitting here in the workshop. One is OK but the other seems to cut out after about 20 minutes of use. It might not even be the coil that's the problem, I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Before tackling the coil itself, try adding fuel when the twenty minutes mark is approaching: I've had a tiller with exactly the same problem and it was caused by a fuel line with a little crack in it. Once fuel level got below the crack the engine was starved for fuel and eventually died. The cure is as cimple as replacing the fuel lines, which on these engines is not exactly open heart surgery.
There have been two Echo-Kioritz engines used in these mini-tillers: the SV4 and the SV5.
The former is a hedge trimmer engine, used the HC150x series, while the latter is a good old trimmer engine, used in the SRM22x series. I am almost positive there's a large degree of commonality between the two. It's possible the SRM coil can be adapted to run in the hedge trimmer engine, but I am so sure about it. I have an SRM222 in the house right now but no HCR1500 hedge trimmer to test this theory...

I seem to remember rebuilding the carb and replacing the fuel lines on this machine a while back. I'll have it up on the bench again soon and give it a thorough going over. It was given to me by an old gardening customer of mine who no longer needed it, it's got the full kit with it as well. Lawn de-thatcher, edger, aerator etc. I want to sell it on but I won't sell anything unreliable.

I seem to remember rebuilding the carb and replacing the fuel lines on this machine a while back. I'll have it up on the bench again soon and give it a thorough going over. It was given to me by an old gardening customer of mine who no longer needed it, it's got the full kit with it as well. Lawn de-thatcher, edger, aerator etc. I want to sell it on but I won't sell anything unreliable.

Good news. While doing the eBay rounds today I came across this ad: https://www.ebay.it/itm/BOBINE-DALL...495195?hash=item21346d3d9b:g:LeUAAOSwnVhaJH0U
I may also ask my Echo dealership how much is one of those coils (they usually give me good discounts on spare parts but Echo/Shindaiwa prices are rabid) or if they have an HC-1500 they need to get rid of.

Back