Competitive Tree Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloggerpro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is the general view on competitive tree climbing? Is it a good way to network and learn, or a sport for elitists who don't have enough to do on the weekends?
The video is of Chrissy Spence at the Red Bull Branched Out competition in Australia last year by the way

I've been to a few. An excellent way to learn how pros get into, work a tree, and see what gear people are using. Great professionals!
Yeah I agree. The folks competing are usually at the top of their game and are often experienced users of the latest techniques and tools and are always happy to teach. Some people seem to hold the opinion that climbing comps are elitist and full of snobs! I would beg to differ, having had a awesome time at every one I have been to.

Here's a pic of the crowd from Red Bull. Everyone in a yellow shirt is a competitor and this was at the bottom of one of three trees that were being competed in at the time. Awesome event with an amazing vibe.

Attachments

• 20191018_171002.jpg
    20191018_171002.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
Yeah I agree. The folks competing are usually at the top of their game and are often experienced users of the latest techniques and tools and are always happy to teach. Some people seem to hold the opinion that climbing comps are elitist and full of snobs! I would beg to differ, having had a awesome time at every one I have been to.

It is a very humbling experience watching the pros. I'm retired these days but even in my prime competing with the the pros would end very similarly to me getting in the ring with Mike Tyson. So I never did. I sure looked their gear and watched how they used it though.

It is like any other sport . You have to be in top physical shape to compete because the pace is much faster and demanding than every day climbing . The top guys just have a natural athletic talent for reading and moving around in a tree mostly because they do everyday and practice after work and tweak their gear to compete.

I was always just a little above average when it came to climbing . I finally got brave and entered in our local chapter tree climbing event just to see how I would do. I was in my early 50's believe or not . I was the "old man" in our group but I held my own . I didn't come in last but I didn't even come close to qualify for the "Masters Climb". I was tired at the end of the day and thankful the throwline was my last event for the day because I couldn't get up in an other tree if I tried.

If anyone gets a chance to compete . Go for it because it will be a good day to be with guys or girls who share a passion for climbing and a chance to refine your climbing gear and learn from others. You not only get a chance to meet top contenders but also be with and meet the more average climbers . It is all in good fun and everyone has a good time .

I've watched enough to know I couldn't hang.

But it doesn't have that much in common with day to day work.

How many guys/gals get phenomenal tie ins, ideal canopies, and get to run routes over and over to pull off swings and running down limbs?

As something very far removed it's badass for sure. And there's working climbers who can hang in both.

Back