Complete "repair" kits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is the overall consensus about these complete repair kits? Fun to tinker with?
Curious about trying the 372 just for fun. I have a pretty good mix of OEM parts I could swap out or is it better just to keep it all from the same kit?
I could also try the 440 kit, I have a lot of leftover 044 parts as well. I've heard that one had a lot of problems though.

S'long as your purpose is to tinker and fool around fixing things that should have been noted, and possibly rejected, by a quality process that isn't up to the task, they're a lot of cheap fun. The end product is serviceable if you take the attitude that you need to check and fit and evaluate every part. That, and accepting that part of the task is dealing with the missing or incorrect parts that show up in a disconcerting proportion of shipments. Keep expectations there and you're golden.

S'long as your purpose is to tinker and fool around fixing things that should have been noted, and possibly rejected, by a quality process that isn't up to the task, they're a lot of cheap fun. The end product is serviceable if you take the attitude that you need to check and fit and evaluate every part. That, and accepting that part of the task is dealing with the missing or incorrect parts that show up in a disconcerting proportion of shipments. Keep expectations there and you're golden.

Sounds about right for the price they are charging. You do in fact get what you pay for. I have no other expectations.

I can't speak for everyone, but from what I've observed you will get a better outcome, for the same or less money, buying a project or two and replacing all of the wear parts. In the past year I've built an 034/036, a 372XT, and now I'm working on a 562, for next to nothing other than my labor and the sale of leftovers.

I’ve built both the 660 and 200T from huztl and they have been surprisingly good quality and run great. I also just bought their little Joncutter g2500 trim saw. It seems to be pretty good for what it is and under $100

Although you can get lucky with the kit saws, I feel like the over-all cheapness shines through.

I’ve built a couple of the Stihl kits and put a lot of Huztl parts on both Husky and Stihl saws. Many times I have regretted the decision. If a saw acts up I suspect the quality of parts instantly and feel like I need to baby Huztl saws for fear of breaking them.

I have several and they run fine, but they aren’t the saws I reach for every day.

I have found the process of building the kits very educational. The problems I have run into in the process have illustrated the quality importance of certain parts and the kits force you to pay attention because you never know when a part will be missing or imperfect.

Expect the process to be slower and more frustrating than an OEM build, and budget roughly 20% extra for additional parts.

I find it worth doing, but not for a saw I plan on using hard.

If you are mechanically inclined, the kits are a very good deal.

I was able to assemble the hutzl 660 in about 8hrs, maybe less

I think these kits offer great value, for what you get, the parts them-selves might as well be free. The wait time, as opposed to grabbing one off the shelf is the real opportunity cost.

Back