Complete tree removal including stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Howell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 2 1/2’ wide pine about 80’ tall sitting within 5’ of a small house that I plan on remodeling. The house sits right on the property line to the right. The tree sits on the left.. right where I need to extend the house.

I’d like the entire tree gone including the roots. Is it possible for me to pull this thing down and then cut it up?

I know, I know the best way is to call a professional. I’m not going to take the call a professional route.

I’d rather invest the $ in myself and have an awesome block/tackle/cable or rope system I can use again. I’m going to rent a tractor and dig. Then dig some more around the roots to loosen it up & pull it over with some assortment of block and tackle. LARGE block and tackle. I’m aware it will be expensive. I have a HUGE anchor tree about 70’ away from the tree i’d like gone. I also have three smaller trees i’ll Do this with as well.

I’ve seen some folks using an electric winch and a remote on a long cord so you can be out of the way. If I use the tractor to pull I will use a change of direction pulley so I’m not in the line of fire.

I’m looking for advice on equipment recommended for something like this. I’d also like to hear others experience at something similar.

Trees with big tap roots usually break off, using this method. It may break off 10' up in the air. If you really are determined to do this yourself, get your tackling, get your saw, hook it up high, pull and cut it. Then, rent or borrow a stump grinder.
I'm only thinking out loud here.
I've seen what you describe done. It's labor intensive. And a bit dangerous. Tree work is for crazy people. If you are crazy... You'll be fine! If you just think you are, then you could use some help. A dozen crazies would work splendidly!
;) be careful, ya hear?
N

Thanks for the response. The only issue I worry with grinding the stump is that a foundation will need to be poured right where the stump is. I worry about that decaying in 5-10-15 years and my foundation cracking.

I’ve watched so many fail videos on YouTube my wife has started noticing when I watch the same videos twice ..haha

Don’t have a saw either. Plan on buying that too. Want to go with a STIHL. Budget for that is $1500.00 and under.

For the record I’ve never cut a tree down with a chain saw, but so far there’s been nothing I can’t figure out. I recognize and acknowledge my inexperience which is why I’m researching the topics & going to take extra precautions. Not going to pay someone.

Projects like this are how I’ve been able to acquire so many tools. Justification to my wife is the cost of the tools is the cost of paying someone else, except I gain the experience.

If you want to uproot it, you need a decent sized backhoe. Dig a trench abut 2-3' away form the trunk on all sides, then pull from about 25' up to pull and push the other side with the backhoe.

I worked with some farmers who did this recently with a White oak and Pin oak - each over 4' in diameter. they left about a 3'-4' deep hole. I suspect the pine will come out easier than these did!

Lots of opportunity for things to go poorly - and in a hurry!

Thanks for the response. The only issue I worry with grinding the stump is that a foundation will need to be poured right where the stump is. I worry about that decaying in 5-10-15 years and my foundation cracking.

The grindings are easy to shovel out of the hole if you do it right away. Backfill with gravel.

Once you pull it over, it sounds like you still plan to cut it up.

I think you might enjoy investing in climbing gear, and removing the tree from the top down.

If if if you really want here is what you do. First you must under stand there is often more ways then not to accomplish any thing. Many years ago I figured I needed a winch so I built one and have used it off and on since. That being said if I was there I would just pull the darn thing out and cut it up. The more the tree is intact the better it will work for you. If the dirt near the tree is dry start soaking around the tree as damp soil will help. My winch has about 600' of 7/16 cable on it which have found to be ideal for most small jobs with safety in mind. You will need at least 300 or 400' of some kind of cable. You will need between 8 and 10 snatch blocks. Each snatch block or pulley will double the pulling force on the item being pulled. You go up to about 40 to 50' on the tree and wrap several chains around the tree. Each chain must be capable of at least 10,000 lbs of force. It will take a few days to get your rigging correct. You could buy about 25 heavy duty come a longs, the kind with the little pulley on the cable. Your tree that will be used at the anchor must be watched carefully so as it does not start to move. Once you are all set up just start pulling and the whole tree will come out roots and all. I pulled a Oak tree out about a year ago using 8 come a longs while some one at the ranch was videoing the thing, but he is not living at the ranch any more other wise you could watch. He said he would save the video, but do not know where he is. You will not need a tractor unless to help dig or? If you dig around the tree it will help the roots to break easier than not. If I was there it still would take some time to get all set up as with you it will not go real fast. Any winch with at least 2,500 lbs of force and more will do. You might need even 5 to 6 more snatch blocks with a smaller winch. Thanks

Attachments

• wch.jpg
    wch.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 36
  • multiblock.png
    multiblock.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 34
  • multiblock.png
    multiblock.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 35
  • wch.jpg
    wch.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 36
Once you pull it over, it sounds like you still plan to cut it up.

I think you might enjoy investing in climbing gear, and removing the tree from the top down.

2412 - I’d like some climbing gear, but if I can pull it to the ground I’ll just cut it there!

Know anyone with an excavator with a thumb? Fast, easy, safe taking it down, buy a saw and cut it up. Fun to watch a good operator work and make things look simple.

Back