Complete tree removal including stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’m going to be installing a septic tank and don’t own anything to dig other than a shovel. So I’m going to rent a Mini Excavator. I could use that to pull. I am also thinking of buying a 25K pound winch. https://sherpa4x4.com/collections/frontpage/products/stallion-25000lb-truck-winch

I hit up Facebook marketplace this morning & found two blocks today. They fit the 100’ of 7/8” cable I have.

So you want to ask a professional for advice, but ignore all the professional advice you get except for what you want to hear. This is a common rudeness. At least have the attitude about you to take your lumps as most of the people here tell you to call a professional instead of defining for the professional what they can and cannot give an answer to.

If this were not a joke post and you truly wanted to invest in yourself, you would be getting training in some manner, not buying equipment or telling professionals what advice they can offer you.

Hey hoss thanks for the advice. What an idiot I am for just wanting to talk with some folks about blocks and tackle and not taking a hike when the first professional tells me it’s not a good idea. I never imagined I would have got that feedback. Couldn’t have guessed.

Pulley systems to pull down trees = bad idea. Only Professionals use pulleys and cables. Got it.

I really don’t know why you guys are entertaining this gentleman’s idea. It’s an easy drop from what I can see.
Set a good line up high (50’-60’). Cut a face with your new saw and send it. Use the hoe you were going to dig the roots up with to attach to the line for a pull and then dig up the root ball. Easy peasy.
All this talk of block and tackle is way over thinking things.

Seemed like the easiest way to get the tree to fall away from the house with no skill and get the stump up with as little effort as possible is pulling it over all at once.

I guess I’ll find out soon enough!

I’m going to be installing a septic tank and don’t own anything to dig other than a shovel. So I’m going to rent a Mini Excavator. I could use that to pull. I am also thinking of buying a 25K pound winch. https://sherpa4x4.com/collections/frontpage/products/stallion-25000lb-truck-winch

I hit up Facebook marketplace this morning & found two blocks today. They fit the 100’ of 7/8” cable I have.
:D
"You're" installing a septic tank? You're probably thinking you don't need a professional for that either? Has there never been indoor plumbing in that house?

Perk test? Permit? Drain field?

Are you getting your sewage information through internet forums also?
I'm thinking you're about to be in deep doo-doo with your DIY/This Old House project . :D

:D
"You're" installing a septic tank? You're probably thinking you don't need a professional for that either? Has there never been indoor plumbing in that house?

Perk test? Permit? Drain field?

Are you getting your sewage information through internet forums also?
I'm thinking you're about to be in deep doo-doo with your DIY/This Old House project . :D

Come on now a septic tank is to damn easy! I’ll install this septic tank the same way I did the last one. The last one being the 1st one i’d Ever done with zero experience. First time ever driving a mini excavator before. Believe it or not the **** is still running strong since 2013!

For the record I did get a quote for a “pro” and it was 7k! I’d rather fail twice than pay that !

As anyone should I got the Perk test before I purchased the place. I now have a permit to install the septic & sketch of how the county wants the field lines.

I’ll probably use the dirt from digging out the septic and fill in where I’m going to pull that tree down!

You are going to have an excavator on site? I go pack 2 pages...put a rope on the tree with a little tension, dig around the base within about 2' of the trunk and start pulling...it will uproot.

I’ll have a mini excavator on site. That’s the plan. I’ll make sure and take a video.

Um, when you are done, can I have the excavator?
I like excavator!
;)
To the op, it's something I'd do. Even the point of asking about an item I felt unsure about. (Like the tackling to pull it down).
N

I'd have no problem with his post if he had left out the "I know, I know the best way is to call a professional. I’m not going to take the call a professional route." It's presumptive. Just ask and let the people who have experience answer.

With 100’ 1 1/8” cable, 100’ 7/8” cable, 40’ 1/2” cable, 2 shackles, 2 pulleys I’m at a grand total of $240.[/QUOTE]

A few issues come to mind as you are collecting your equipment to bring down your tree. 1 1/8'' will be more difficult to clamp to than 1/2''. Not all bad though. You likely will not be able to utilize in in one stretch. 1/2'' cable has been my favorite since it is common fits many snatch blocks. You still need at least a 100' more cable and some more snatch blocks. A 25 K winch is not common or easy to aquire. If you have some kind of a tractor on site to pull or aid your opperation for sure it will be a aid also. If your equipment can dig around your tree that will make your operation much easier also. You can hand dig around your tree and completely remove the tree that way. Yes it will involve plenty of labor to accomplish that. Thanks

Now don't sell yourself short, you're also rude!

I’ve used a few of these type forums in the past. Mostly for cars & trucks. There always seems to be a “under_the_hill” creeping around waiting to jump out the bushes and yell - “call a professional!” Or “that’s not what we like to talk about on this forum!” Or “if you want advice around here you’ll have to listen to how dumb I think you are first!”

If not a soul commented anything productive then I’d get the point.
But there is always someone that does & I greatly appreciate their input. So keep on keeping on “under_the_hills” of the world. You ain’t gonna stop me from trying or posting !

I know it’ll never happen, but maybe if you don't want to talk anything productive about a future thread, cables and snatch blocks in this case, just mind your own dang business.

With 100’ 1 1/8” cable, 100’ 7/8” cable, 40’ 1/2” cable, 2 shackles, 2 pulleys I’m at a grand total of $240.

A few issues come to mind as you are collecting your equipment to bring down your tree. 1 1/8'' will be more difficult to clamp to than 1/2''. Not all bad though. You likely will not be able to utilize in in one stretch. 1/2'' cable has been my favorite since it is common fits many snatch blocks. You still need at least a 100' more cable and some more snatch blocks. A 25 K winch is not common or easy to aquire. If you have some kind of a tractor on site to pull or aid your opperation for sure it will be a aid also. If your equipment can dig around your tree that will make your operation much easier also. You can hand dig around your tree and completely remove the tree that way. Yes it will involve plenty of labor to accomplish that. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. I’m attempting to not pay full price for anything new & so far haven’t found any 1/2” cable near me. I’m still on the lookout!
That winch I found is at this link:
https://sherpa4x4.com/collections/frontpage/products/stallion-25000lb-truck-winch
I figure I’ll weld a frame for it and make it portable. It’ll be heavy, but i’d rather it not be on a vehicle in the event the cable breaks to save a windshield. I also like this idea because I can stand out of the way. They offer a wireless remote kit for $49.99.

There’s an auction I could bid with 5 roles of 5/16 cable that look to be 100’ each going for about $15. I just feel like it’s too small so I’m still looking. What are your thoughts?

I’ll post the picture below with what I was thinking up on design for the pull. Just need to find the best thing for that unknown cable/rope. Any experience with this sort of setup with rope instead of cable?

I found a double and triple block I can buy for $200. They look heavy duty & to hold up to 7/8” cable or rope.

Depending on some factors you are both right and wrong. 5/16'' cable will not break easily so do not turn away from good cable. Remember what ever you use it can work if the right way of operation is adhered to. 1/4'' could be used just fine because one strand is not going to do the work no all the stands working together are. Your scheme looks like it could do the job if done right. You sound like some one at least close to my heart. I try to buy things used also. However when I built my first winch I bought every thing brand new. I was able to order all the parts from a reasonable supplier. Today it is different. The cost for a decent ring and pinion gear would be about a $1000 to $1500 alone. If you keep at it it will come out just fine. However it turns out you will gain experience. Thanks

I’m aiming to use this experience as my first major mechanical advantage experiment. I wasn’t impressed with his ..haha but hey, maybe for the roots!
It's clear you enjoy the challenge most of all.

Don't knock the sawzall!
I was asking for chainsaw advice here several years ago, and someone recommended the sawzall with a pruning blade. I don't take down large trees (but I could ;) ), but use it for keeping my 2 1/2 acres and fence rows looking good. The Porter Cable sawzall is perfect. I bought two new extra batteries this year, four is really the minimum needed to get some serious work done for longer than 30 minutes. I haven't tried The Ax blade seen in the video, but I'm getting one next time I'm in Lowes. I use the 9" pruning blades and I've taken down trees 8" diameter. I have a maple close to the house that's about 12" that I'm going to use it on.
It's also good on roots. I use it to cut down privet just below ground level so I can mow over the area and keep it at bay.
Great for trimming lower limbs and dead wood, too.

A handy-dandy tool, highly recommended.

Back