Complete tree removal including stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awhile back I had a bunch of trees to take down that were very dry. They had to be climbed and I am well into my 60's. Not have a great small saw I started using a sawzall to remove the limbs as I climbed up the trees. All in all the process worked just fine. The most difficult part about it was the big cracks in the tree that gobbled up my spurs. Thanks

I’ve used a few of these type forums in the past. Mostly for cars & trucks. There always seems to be a “under_the_hill” creeping around waiting to jump out the bushes and yell - “call a professional!” Or “that’s not what we like to talk about on this forum!” Or “if you want advice around here you’ll have to listen to how dumb I think you are first!”

If not a soul commented anything productive then I’d get the point.
But there is always someone that does & I greatly appreciate their input. So keep on keeping on “under_the_hills” of the world. You ain’t gonna stop me from trying or posting !

I know it’ll never happen, but maybe if you don't want to talk anything productive about a future thread, cables and snatch blocks in this case, just mind your own dang business.

The fact that you see this behavior everywhere you go might be a clue.

More goods acquired at the auction.

I’m moving from WA to NC in OCT so I bought this heavy duty cart for moving heavy furniture, $20.

Then the three 100’ rolls of 5/16 wire rope with a break strengths of 7,660lbs, $50.

Then another shackle, double pulley, and two 36” pipe clamps that all came together, $10.

Then 15% paid to the man. Grand total of $92

Having spent a decent share of my time cutting danger trees with jacks and a couple with lines in them, here the best simple advice IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THE INTERNET DON’T DO IT.

You have no life experience falling timber most of these guys in here don’t either they might be arborists, but most are wood tick firewood cutters.
d9f3fe6f98e52962b874412be38f00d3.jpg
d76520f532ba2c2ec162bc043555d34c.jpg
aa86cd4871b61c6ef5f19bbeafe1949e.jpg

Being able to hit a mark dead on every time is an art now being able to foresee what that tree will do well facing it up that’s plain old experience. Having a guy on the internet tell you exactly how to rig a tree from god knows where is nuts he’s not there to read what needs to be done, I don’t trust rope and sure as hell don’t trust a pickup or similar to pull a tree I’ve watched a D5 sized cat get drug backwards on a leaner no thanks I like my life personally but to each their own.
02c833cb2087040332b089ffe25cf47d.jpg
338d267742024e34de1be774f43edb3a.jpg
8d8411591bd851712664b0aa8ff38d44.jpg
c8ae6552f8ef021ab4eddca6bfc732d0.jpg

These last couple are in that size range roughly all were either pulled by the cut around or slipped into a lay to save out more length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having spent a decent share of my time cutting danger trees with jacks and a couple with lines in them, here the best simple advice IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THE INTERNET DON’T DO IT.

You have no life experience falling timber most of these guys in here don’t either they might be arborists, but most are wood tick firewood cutters.
d9f3fe6f98e52962b874412be38f00d3.jpg
d76520f532ba2c2ec162bc043555d34c.jpg
aa86cd4871b61c6ef5f19bbeafe1949e.jpg

Being able to hit a mark dead on every time is an art now being able to foresee what that tree will do well facing it up that’s plain old experience. Having a guy on the internet tell you exactly how to rig a tree from god knows where is nuts he’s not there to read what needs to be done, I don’t trust rope and sure as hell don’t trust a pickup or similar to pull a tree I’ve watched a D5 sized cat get drug backwards on a leaner no thanks I like my life personally but to each their own.
02c833cb2087040332b089ffe25cf47d.jpg
338d267742024e34de1be774f43edb3a.jpg
8d8411591bd851712664b0aa8ff38d44.jpg
c8ae6552f8ef021ab4eddca6bfc732d0.jpg

These last couple are in that size range roughly all were either pulled by the cut around or slipped into a lay to save out more length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All that not only sounds dangerous, it looks dangerous too. I don’t think I’ll be cutting any trees down at all.

Just going to hook up a bunch of cable and pulleys and pull. Maybe a tractor, maybe a tractor and a truck.. who knows. Thought about making friends with a wrecker truck and having them come pull the line.

Worse case the cable breaks. I’ll make sure to weigh the cables down in the event it breaks & protect myself!

All that not only sounds dangerous, it looks dangerous too. I don’t think I’ll be cutting any trees down at all.

Just going to hook up a bunch of cable and pulleys and pull. Maybe a tractor, maybe a tractor and a truck.. who knows. Thought about making friends with a wrecker truck and having them come pull the line.

Worse case the cable breaks. I’ll make sure to weigh the cables down in the event it breaks & protect myself!

Being in Tacoma are you sure they aren’t Doug Fir? Even putting lines in a tree isn’t a sure fire way of getting a tree down correctly, I’ve seen what happens when you don’t know what the operator is exactly doing you can have a tree pulled off the stump very quickly or worse pop off the stump backwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is your house even on footers?

Some of those block piers are oriented the wrong way and some are leaning which indicates abnormal settlement.

I agree with some that maybe just felling it from the ground would be the safest and easiest way to go about getting the tree down. You could use the cables and pulleys you bought to add just a slight bit of tension to help ensure the tree goes in the direction you want it to go and cut it down with a chainsaw.

Have some updates - don’t have the videos figured out right now so they will come later.

I pulled two 24” wide and at least 80’ tall pine trees to the ground. I used a mini excavator to dig. Putting the dirt at the base of the tree in the direction it was going to fall worked great as a lever for the stump.

The pulley system worked great. Trees fell exactly where I wanted them to. No one was anywhere around since I had over 500’ of 5/16 wire on hand that I scored from that auction. Never broke that wire. I did break other things.

A picture is worth a thousand words.. & they are coming. Long story short - for now - it all worked just like I figured it would. No one had to do any nonsense like climb any trees. There was never a worry about the tree going the wrong way and falling on my building.

I think anyone who needs a complete tree - including the stump removed - and doesn’t want to pay someone an arm and a leg could easily and safely do what I did.

Have some updates - don’t have the videos figured out right now so they will come later.

I pulled two 24” wide and at least 80’ tall pine trees to the ground. I used a mini excavator to dig. Putting the dirt at the base of the tree in the direction it was going to fall worked great as a lever for the stump.

The pulley system worked great. Trees fell exactly where I wanted them to. No one was anywhere around since I had over 500’ of 5/16 wire on hand that I scored from that auction. Never broke that wire. I did break other things.

A picture is worth a thousand words.. & they are coming. Long story short - for now - it all worked just like I figured it would. No one had to do any nonsense like climb any trees. There was never a worry about the tree going the wrong way and falling on my building.

I think anyone who needs a complete tree - including the stump removed - and doesn’t want to pay someone an arm and a leg could easily and safely do what I did.
"I did break other things."
.... like arms and legs? :D
Just kidding. Glad it went well for you. Looking forward to seeing the video and/or photos

Glad to hear you didn’t hurt yourself or damage your property.

Back