Compression Release Valve?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not seen the plugs, and have no intention of ever removing my decomp valves (unless they leak) but I'd imagine the plug has a sealing type washer like you'd find on a sparkplug. If I use the "hold it between my thighs" method to start, then I use the decomp even on my 026, if I drop start I don't use it on any of my saws. I just can't understand why people dislike this wonderful marvel of engineering so much.
btw if I decided to make my own plug, I'd be apt to use a copper or brass washer, just my .02

Decomp on my ms 441 was leaking so I replaced it with a plug from my Stihl dealer. Pulls easy enough w/o the decomp.

been meaning to ask how that saw turned out....

Well Nik, after getting egg on my face at the Stihl dealer I got it running fine. Really need to get a bar and chain so I can rev it up a and tune it better. Problem started when I rebuilt carb and couldn't get gas to cylinder. So I pulled it apart and reinsta,lled everything. Went to do a pressure check and carb wouldn't hold pressure. Used my new MightyVac as well as another older pressure gauge and it still wouldn't hold. After several tearing apart and rebuilding carb again I got p##off and took it to my local Stihl shop. He used his pressure gauge and it held pressure fine. I walked out of store silently, went home and lo and behold I found that there was leak in the fuel line I had hooked up to both Pressure gauges. New line and voila, no more leakage. Stupid, stupid , stupid. Like a friend once said"its one of lifes learning lessons".

Bob

I love the decomps

I agree with Fatguy-the decomp is a good thing on any saw. Why would a person want to pull harder than they have to? Not to mention the wear it saves on the starting components.
To the original poster-go to partstree.com and look up the ipl for the Husky 55 and that will have the OEM Plug listing. I assume your putting a 55 cylinder on a 50 special saw? I used an OEM 55 (46mm) topend on my 51 and I wish it had a decomp. But the decomp cylinder was $40 more.

Back