Concerns With Extending Driveway & Nearby Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattLS6

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm looking to have my driveway completely redone including a 10'x25' extension and I've got some concerns with the nearby pine trees. The trees are shared with my neighbor and they have shallow roots. Once complete, the extension pad would be about 9-10' away from the trunk of the trees. I have some concerns and wanted to reach out to some folks who are more knowlegeable about this kind of thing than me or my paver. Here's what I'm concerned about:

1. When digging down upwards of 9" deep for the pad, naturally roots will be dug up/ripped out - could this in turn kill the trees in due time? Could it negatively affect the integrity of the trees and make them more susceptable to leaning over or falling down?
2. Although roots will be cut and removed, will these same roots begin growing again or will they essentially die? My concern being if they grow and in time buckle up the asphalt of the pad.

As bad as I need and want this extension I don't want to kill the trees or more importantly put my neighbors or their house at risk by doing so. My family owned and operated a lumber business for many years before I was born but all that knowledge didn't seem to make it down to me so I appreciate any insights you can provide.

Pictures below (did my best to highlight where the stakes are for the pad):

C1AEA092-2BD9-4EC9-B701-BDDA7511C5F1.jpeg

A2870ADC-A682-4017-B6B9-3C97DBF00D3F.jpeg
32D83619-9543-46E2-AE47-25389DADCD49.jpeg
AB742A1A-279A-4EEE-9432-2BAFBA885B31.jpeg

I"d be more worried about the existing roots pushing up and through the asphalt than damaging the trees. Those stakes seem far enough away so that you won't hurt the trees significantly.

Norway spruce, not a good idea to cut any roots. They will blow over the canopies are big sails. Spruce trees are the most common blow downs we see in the industry.

Thank you all for the input so far. Things aren't looking too good so far based upon your comments.

I would prefer the extension to be asphalt from an aesthetics and consistency standpoint but I'm potentially open to other options. At the end of the day, my truck is always in the way of getting my cars out of both garages, which share that existing pad, so I suppose something whether it's just crushed stone or whatever it may be is better than nothing.

Back