confused in the flat lands of Ohio, question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
"I'm confused.
We have a wood stove in the basement that has a built-in blower in the stove. The stove pipe goes directly out the back of the stove and into the wall (and into the outside chimney). It has two vents on top that are piped into the floor vents of the floor above it.
I can never seem to get a fire hot enough to make the blower kick on. It seems like it takes a ton of wood, and it still doesn't seem to give off much heat. My thoughts are that the heat all goes out the back on the stove into the outside chimney.

I would think that the majority of the heat from a stove comes from the stove pipe and a decent run of pipe before you get to the outside would be desirable so you can reclaim that heat. I remember a couple decades ago standing beside the wood stove to warm up. This one in the basement never feels warm!!!!"

Am I thinking correctly?? It needs to have a stove pipe INSIDE the house for a longer run?

I am going to put a wood stove on the main floor, right above it, and tap into the chimney. It supposedly has two flues in it. Should I run the stove pipe up the wall to nearly the ceiling before I tap in so as to get the most hot area available (and maybe have a blower mounted in the stove pipe)?

I guess I just don't understand how they work! Especially the ones with blowers built in.

Now you would think the fellow would want to get the stove in the basement working before installing a second stove up stairs.
Notice no mention of the wood type and how long seasoned, nor what type of stove other than it wasn't a add on furnace we found out later.

:D Al

Latest posts

Back