conifer tree harvest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochvalley

Reaction score
Hello! I am inquiring about a local logging company interested in removing conifer trees from my property. I own 8 acres of land in eastern Penna. I have 12 to 14 spruce trees, about 14 years in growth, each tree, I would like cut and removed from the property. My belief is the trees have value to the logger and there would be no cost to me.
Please respond if interested. Thank you.

If I read your facts right:

14 trees spread over 8 acres
14 years old
have value?

They would have value to you where they sit on the property, but to a logging company, with all respect, the cost of moving in men and equipment to log and transport 14 trees (over 8 acres) is too great to allow the trees to carry any residual value to the landowner.

If the numbers were 1400 trees over 8 acres, and more mature than 14 years, then you would have some value to attract the mobilization efforts of a professional logger.

As I read your numbers, it sounds like you require the services of a professional tree service instead. If the facts are wrong, please repost and I will take another evaluation.

John - the resident professional forester of Arboristsite.com:D

If they are straight and dont have libs to the ground, you may find a small sawmill that would take them off your hands if all they had to do was pick them off your drive. Oh 9ft min length and 18in dia on the small end inside the bark.

I give balck walnut away because the market is so small. Urban/homestead trees are concidered trash to even midsized mills. Too much risk of metal in the wood.

Do an internet phone search by area code of the surounding region for sawmill and call a few people.

Here is what happens in my neck of the woods.A rope is placed as high in the tree a possible,about 15ft.:D The logger finds the best possible place to land the monster. A few fellows give the rope a tug in the chosen direction.Chainsaw cranks,lots of smoke,and then a funny looking pie shaped thing is cut out appearing to be in the same direction they want the tree to fall.Guy with the saw looks up toward the top of the tree. When he looks up he is NOT looking at the tree,he is looking for GOD. Why,because he is worried the tree could fall onto your powerline,or HOUSE............14 year old tree wouldn't be to large,and they may be far away from anything including the most beautiful Dogwood tree on the property.Remember that if something can go wrong it WILL go wrong.Call a Arborist first,a lot of us still give free estimates,and at least a professional will have looked it over.I see this a lot,keeps my insurance bill high I know for a fact.Good Luck

Back