Coniferous tree borer -Adirondacks NY

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ATH, THANK YOU.
Agree with your sapsucker diagnosis, and Norway Spruce identification
Googled 'spruce sapsucker damage images' and they are identical.
Only saw larvae in that one tree -therefore suspect that whatever they are it's not the problem.

Focus now changes. The trees are generally dying bottom-up. Finding info regarding mites, rust, red squirrels, etc.
Lots of info online for problems dying Norway Spruce to research.

Thanks again!
ADK

I'm no expert in these matters, so the following is based purely on my observations and my conclusions are possibly 100% wrong.

The low parts of your tree that are dying - how are they for sunlight exposure?

What I have observed about evergreens is that if the branch gets low sun exposure relative to the rest of the tree, it dies. I think (again, I may be 100% wrong) that the tree directs its growth energy into branches that produce food and jettisons the low-producing branches.

I have a blue spruce that I trimmed up last year. Every branch below about 5 feet was dead. It's a slightly crowded spot and that part of the tree gets very little sunlight. The rest of the tree is perfectly fine.

I'm no expert in these matters, so the following is based purely on my observations and my conclusions are possibly 100% wrong.

The low parts of your tree that are dying - how are they for sunlight exposure?

What I have observed about evergreens is that if the branch gets low sun exposure relative to the rest of the tree, it dies. I think (again, I may be 100% wrong) that the tree directs its growth energy into branches that produce food and jettisons the low-producing branches.

I have a blue spruce that I trimmed up last year. Every branch below about 5 feet was dead. It's a slightly crowded spot and that part of the tree gets very little sunlight. The rest of the tree is perfectly fine.
Bobby, thanks for your reply.
Have already lost several trees past few yrs, and consider sunlight exposure as good.

Back