Conk found in pine.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've twice came across these conks in both pondorosa and sugar pines up here in Central Ca. At about 5000ft. During my pre climb inspection. Both times the area was very wet from water seepage from springs. Any info would be appreciated. Don't know if its related but there was yellow mycelleem (sp?).around the base of the tree under ground.

Attachments

• 20170504_153331.jpg
    20170504_153331.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • 20170504_153618.jpg
    20170504_153618.jpg
    706.2 KB · Views: 51
Really hard to tell as those look pretty old but Laetiporus species are quite yellow and can be found on pine amongst others. Causes a brown cubical rot.

Phellinus pini
After some research I found out its identity. I do a tree assessment of every tree before its climbed. (I fill out a report) We had a climber 15 ft up a tree when a conk was seen. The climber came down.
A probe was poked in the tree. It buryed its self 18 in. in the base of a green pondorosa pine right above a conk.
Never encountered this fungus before. Were working a higher elevation now and I've twice come across this conk. Both times in wet areas.
Just a shout out to everyone who deals with these trees to be careful .

Yeah we use to treat the stumps even 10 years ago with borax. What happened? No one seems to do it up here.
It has been more than 10 years since working around Bakersfield, when I did the USDA spent much time and effort inspecting live trees that were thinned out to see if the stumps had Borax on them. We mixed fire suppressant with Borax so we knew they had been treated. For probably 20 years a problem existed concerning bark beetles and drought conditions that were killing trees by the acrea upon acreas. Thanks

Im from riverside originally and was involved with bark beetle up in San Bernardino mountains 20 plus years ago.
Now the epidemic has moved north, but no less servere. There are millions of pines and firs dieing from the bark beetle up here in Central Ca.

Latest posts

Back