considering a move

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abidingdreams

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been considering a move but I am wondering about the business aspect side of it. I have been doing tree work for about a year and my business is just a "baby" if you will. What I was wondering is that if you move an established tree business would it be just like starting over, or would it be best to build a high quality business before a move. Thank you in advance for the advice.

If you know the trade it's not like starting over, unless you started out knowing the trade.

If you don't know the trade and can not get your clients to move with you, it's like starting over.

I know I cant forget what I have learned thus far and the gear I have will move with me but setting up a client base again for pruning and then getting a good name in removals would have to start over. So would it be better to build a business where you would like to live forever or does it make much difference.

If your business is only a year then do not worry. If it were five or more then we have material. Just do not come to Seattle. We have some where in the neighborhood of 500 or more "Tree Service" "companies" I say this sarcastically and pissed of. Everybody and their brother and cousin is a "tree contractor". Do not go cut throat on you estimates, that is a race to the bottom. Do a good job, respect your competition, charge a fair price. You will get work.

I've thought about it in past, the weather is too hot for me here. Our business is well established, so it would be a big loss. We have quite a list of regular customers on the books, as well as an established name and word of mouth. I don't advertise any more, so the business comes mainly from word of mouth, and partly from people seeing us working.

I think if you're moving not too far it isn't a big deal. You can start advertising in the new area, and quote on saturdays, feel it out, get some work booked in, then if it's driveable start doing a 2/3 day split between the two areas.

I would only considering moving out of state so that's not achievable. It also means starting over in terms of; company registration, vehicle registration, insurance (many types) etc etc etc and all the other crap that goes along with moving to a new state. A lot of $$$. Selling up and starting over is probably the way to go, but prices are so low now, it isn't worth selling. Better off staying where you are, which is why I'm still here!

Shaun

I wdould say that if you started a business where you are at and know what you are doing it would be very possible to do it where you move .Keep in mind the state you move to will require different licenses and study test scores for arborists.So do your research before you jump and move just any where.
Remember the time of year that you start a business effects the business as a whole and time in the same month consistantly meaning the longer you have been in a business in a specific month of the year .For example you start a business in november of 2011 and you move in septmember of 2012 you have no experience in that business in the month of october.A good example every year in dallas fort worth we have state fair and a freakin cattle run in fort worth called the stock yard ...Abusiness that is negatively effected by this events moves in here to dallas in november has no idea what to expect in september and october the following year.Example we all go storm chasing across the eastern and southern coast around her in september and october simply because of these two events.I do not make any major changes in the month of sept. and in oct. why I have been in busines for 15 years in dallas and fort worth and the first 3 yrs I could not figure out why my call volume would drop off during these months.So i did some research joined a few local business forums in dallas and got really prepared for this.Now every year I do storm chasing till end of september and go on vacation in october and this do all my temporary labor ,lay offs and take my crew back to it 3 men for the winter.I eliminate enough pay role to up grade my tools and do any repairs on equiptment and usually have enough to give out bonuses for xmas by december 15 each year.
Before I came up with this practice I suffered the first three years simply because I did not understand economical trends that took place.
Or any major events that caused people to spend the money on something besides tree service.
So where ever move to understanding your work trends are gonna help you captilize on your time and knowing work will come due to past trends you have to have past trends to consider so people you know in the business where you go to is gonna be your best resource to start.www.arborjons.com

Last edited:
Back