Considering a new Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My assistant runs a 362cm, I run a couple year older 362 manual carb. He has already started having problems with his not running properly and being hard to start, especially after running it and getting it warm. I've not had a moment's trouble out of the manual carb, just saying...

Your 290 might run just fine, but it's not perfectly tuned every time you cut unless you make an adjustment. Everything from temperature to humidity, wood size, and (added) elevation.

I agree. A well tuned saw is like have a freshly sharpened chain. Learn how to do it and you will be a much happier firewood cutter. It is frustrating to have your equipment underperforming when out in the field/wilderness.

I will buck the general trend here. Leave the limiters in place. Full CW or CCW with the limiters in place (stock saw of course) and you will not hurt anything (that's what they are there for), effecting only the performance. So you have room to play and learn without risking your saw. And it's it not hard to learn.

I agree. A well tuned saw is like have a freshly sharpened chain. Learn how to do it and you will be a much happier firewood cutter. It is frustrating to have your equipment underperforming when out in the field/wilderness.

I will buck the general trend here. Leave the limiters in place. Full CW or CCW with the limiters in place (stock saw of course) and you will not hurt anything (that's what they are there for), effecting only the performance. So you have room to play and learn without risking your saw. And it's it not hard to learn.

Those limiters will not keep you from burning up your saw. You can in fact lean it out too much with the limiters intact.

I witnessed it first hand and actually had to process the paperwork to pay for it.

No reason not to learn how to tune your saw. The limiters are there to keep people from overly leaning out or over richening the saw. If there are other factors, like improperly positioned limiters, bad gas mix, extreme conditions, etc, then take caution. YMMV.

No reason not to learn how to tune your saw. The limiters are there to keep people from overly leaning out or over richening the saw. If there are other factors, like improperly positioned limiters, bad gas mix, extreme conditions, etc, then take caution. YMMV.
I agree everyone should learn how to tune their saws. But saying that the limiters will keep you from frying the saw is not completely true. The reason manufacturers use limiters are more for meeting EPA restrictions instead of "fool proofing" their saws. I agree with you in that one should learn how to tune and maintain their saws, I just thought you might mislead someone by saying they won't hurt their saw because it has limiters. It has happened before and it will again I'm sure

I will admit that I was once leery of tuning a saw for fear of destroying it. Then a neighbor offered to tune it. He has a lot of experience (or so I once thought) and he messed it up. The saw became hard to start, and its idle was so low it would often stall out. It took me a year or so to get fully over my fears and begin learning and experimenting. Now I don't hesitate to pull out the screw driver and tweak the saw for the day.

I agree everyone should learn how to tune their saws. But saying that the limiters will keep you from frying the saw is not completely true. The reason manufacturers use limiters are more for meeting EPA restrictions instead of "fool proofing" their saws. I agree with you in that one should learn how to tune and maintain their saws, I just thought you might mislead someone by saying they won't hurt their saw because it has limiters. It has happened before and it will again I'm sure

Alright so it seems like I should get a 70cc saw

Does anyone have a strong opinion on either the ms441cm verse ms461? I like the idea of a wrap around handle which would dictate the 461R.

I'm not afraid to learn how to tune the saw. Just have not been forced to with my 290. It's always started easy unless I leave it sitting in direct sun when hot. For what ever reason it hates that. So I just need to remember to put it down in the shade after running it.

Alright so it seems like I should get a 70cc saw

Does anyone have a strong opinion on either the ms441cm verse ms461? I like the idea of a wrap around handle which would dictate the 461R.

I'm not afraid to learn how to tune the saw. Just have not been forced to with my 290. It's always started easy unless I leave it sitting in direct sun when hot. For what ever reason it hates that. So I just need to remember to put it down in the shade after running it.
Why the change in to 70cc? Last I read you said they were to big to use all day?
But if your in the 70cc market, I would skip the 441, to many bugs. Plus the 461 is the same weight with more power. Or if you have a Husqvarna dealer near you, check out the 372xp. Best 70cc saw for the last 15+ years

Why the change in to 70cc? Last I read you said they were to big to use all day?
But if your in the 70cc market, I would skip the 441, to many bugs. Plus the 461 is the same weight with more power. Or if you have a Husqvarna dealer near you, check out the 372xp. Best 70cc saw for the last 15+ years

I've basically come to the conclusion that I'd be happy with the power of the 362 if I kept a 20" bar on it. But if I up it to a 25", it will just bog that down like my 290, if I bury the whole bar of course.

After talking with forest service guys around here they run 461's. Local arborist client loves his 362/20" but would not put a bigger bar on it.

I don't know, maybe my fiscally responsible side will win out and I stick with the 362. My back would probably be happier if I stick with a 20" bar and just cut smaller rounds of firewood.

I have Husky dealers here too. And a arborist friend who prefers them. I've just never had an issue with my 290 or other Stihl products so figured I'd just stick with Stihl.

I've basically come to the conclusion that I'd be happy with the power of the 362 if I kept a 20" bar on it. But if I up it to a 25", it will just bog that down like my 290, if I bury the whole bar of course.

After talking with forest service guys around here they run 462's. Local arborist client loves his 362/20" but would not put a bigger bar on it.

I don't know, maybe my fiscally responsible side will win out and I stick with the 362. My back would probably be happier if I stick with a 20" bar and just cut smaller rounds of firewood.

I have Husky dealers here too. And a arborist friend who prefers them. I've just never had an issue with my 290 or other Stihl products so figured I'd just stick with Stihl.
Well, sounds like the Husqvarna 372 might be the sweet spot for you. 70cc power and only a few more bucks than the ms362. Way cheaper than a Stihl 70cc saw and has been a reliable saw for almost 20 years.

A 372 is a great saw. And you can buy an OEM wrap handlebar kit front Bailey's for $30. There's actually been a slew of nice ones listed in the trading post here lately. It'd be worth looking there.

Either the 461 or the 441 are available with a wrap handlebar. Personally I like the smoother feel of a spring saw and I enjoy not having to touch the carb settings of my 261, but it's true that the 441 has been known to have done issues in the past. The 461 is a great saw, but it's undeniably old technology. With a 461 you will probably find yourself needing to tap out there air filter after every tank or two of fuel.

If you don't need the saw right away, I'd be inclined to wait for the 462. Of course if you go that way, you're at the mercy of a brand new model.

Good luck, and let us know what you choose.

I had a husky 460, and it was a nice saw. I found with multiple brands I would get confused on the starting methods. Simpler to stick to one brand. You cut plenty of wood yearly, so push the budget and get the bigger saw. You'll understand the wisdom after you forget about the money, estimate is about one tank of gas.

After talking with forest service guys around here they run 461's. Local arborist client loves his 362/20" but would not put a bigger bar on it.

What are all the bugs with the 441? I’ve never had a problem with mine. It’s the saw I grab first.

What are all the bugs with the 441? I’ve never had a problem with mine. It’s the saw I grab first.
I'm glad you got good one! Several of my friends had problems with theirs. One of our local shops doesn't even carry them because so many people had issues.

Latest posts

Back