Considering a new Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well went to the tractor dealer and looked at saws again today. Nicer there in that they are not all locked down like in town. Anyway picked up the Stihl 461/28". That combo prevented me from having to bend over. As did the Husky 372/28". That was nice and should help with the extra weight of both. Neither felt unmanageable by any means. Just noticeably heavier than my 290 of course.

Sales person pretty much pointed me towards the 461 if I wanted to stick with Stihl. Or a couple different Husqvarna models if I was willing to change brands.

Asked about 462 availability. He indicated he has a dealer meeting with Stihl next week and should know more. Later in the day I got a response from Stihl from my online inquiry. 3rd quarter release for 462 in USA.

I'm not sold on the Mtronic system yet but less weight is always a big plus. While I have not ruled out the Husky it was not screaming my name. No rush, wood season is still months away.

I'm going to ask around and see if I can find someone with a 461 I can run locally.

Wow lots of miss info in this thread. First the 441's never had many problems, dispit what someone's brother's, friend's, uncle's coworker said. If you have a hard time starting any brand of saw because of how the controls are setup, well that mad me lol.

Mtronic issues relate mostly to a bad control valve, a $15 part that takes 10 minutes to replace.

Now what saw? I would suggest picking up a few saw at a dealer and see how they feel to you. I prefer the simplicity of the older school saws, both Husqvarna and Stihl make awesome 70+cc saws I like. Can't go wrong with a 372 or even a 390xp. Believe it or not the 390xp all loaded up, isn't as heavy as you'd think. The 461 is a sweet saw. The 441 is nice and smooth saw, not that it matters but they take real well to porting too.

Wow lots of miss info in this thread. First the 441's never had many problems, dispit what someone's brother's, friend's, uncle's coworker said. If you have a hard time starting any brand of saw because of how the controls are setup, well that mad me lol.

Mtronic issues relate mostly to a bad control valve, a $15 part that takes 10 minutes to replace.

Now what saw? I would suggest picking up a few saw at a dealer and see how they feel to you. I prefer the simplicity of the older school saws, both Husqvarna and Stihl make awesome 70+cc saws I like. Can't go wrong with a 372 or even a 390xp. Believe it or not the 390xp all loaded up, isn't as heavy as you'd think. The 461 is a sweet saw. The 441 is nice and smooth saw, not that it matters but they take real well to porting too.

That’s why I asked about the problems with the 441. No response. Seems like the people who have never used them hate them and the people who actually use them love them....mostly. lol. They are kinda heavier than they should be.

Alright so it seems like I should get a 70cc saw

Does anyone have a strong opinion on either the ms441cm verse ms461? I like the idea of a wrap around handle which would dictate the 461R.

I'm not afraid to learn how to tune the saw. Just have not been forced to with my 290. It's always started easy unless I leave it sitting in direct sun when hot. For what ever reason it hates that. So I just need to remember to put it down in the shade after running it.

Again,
MS461R.

18bac2961ac63b9d53584316cea722a0.jpg

That’s why I asked about the problems with the 441. No response. Seems like the people who have never used them hate them and the people who actually use them love them....mostly. lol. They are kinda heavier than they should be.
I actually enjoyed running my friends 441. I enjoyed it so much that i have asked to use it several times since.. but every time I ask, it's in the shop LOL. I can't comment as to the exact issues. But his 441 has spent way more time in the shop than any of his other saws (he cuts for a living, so he knows how to maintain his saws). A simple forum search will show tons of 441 problem threads. Another thing I noticed here in CA. Our CalFire crew has always used 70cc Stihl saws, always. But a year or so ago I noticed they were running All ms461. I asked why, one of the fire fighters told me they had lots of problems with the 441 (can't have that when you life is on the line in a wildfire). So they made the switch to the 461

I actually enjoyed running my friends 441. I enjoyed it so much that i have asked to use it several times since.. but every time I ask, it's in the shop LOL. I can't comment as to the exact issues. But his 441 has spent way more time in the shop than any of his other saws (he cuts for a living, so he knows how to maintain his saws). A simple forum search will show tons of 441 problem threads. Another thing I noticed here in CA. Our CalFire crew has always used 70cc Stihl saws, always. But a year or so ago I noticed they were running All ms461. I asked why, one of the fire fighters told me they had lots of problems with the 441 (can't have that when you life is on the line in a wildfire). So they made the switch to the 461
The smoke and crazy temp changes would confuse the Mtronic system, which makes sense do to the system being so simple. Suposidly the new version of Mtronic fixes this. Overall the 441 has been a solid saw, but with anything new people are often skeptical, all saw models and brands have failures.

Asked about 462 availability. He indicated he has a dealer meeting with Stihl next week and should know more. Later in the day I got a response from Stihl from my online inquiry. 3rd quarter release for 462 in USA.
The Husqvarna 572xp will be available in the U.S. in August. So I would guess that the stihl ms462 will be released right around then.

While I have not ruled out the Husky it was not screaming my name.
Give the 372xp a chance. Good piwer/weight and is one of the best balanced saws ever made.

No rush, wood season is still months away.
That's not how this site works... Your suppose to ask advice.. our input gets you a case of CAD, you run out and impulse buy a shinny new toy, then post pictures for all of us to drool over:laugh::laugh:

Here's my 2 cents.First,I'm in the Appalachains so I usually cut oak.I have a 362c and like it very much.With a sharp chain,it will take the full bar and cut well.I use a 20" bar with 3/8th pitch. Most of my cutting is either dead trees or tops.
I have toyed with the idea of trading up to a 461 or maybe a 441 but the extra weight concerns me for no more than I would really need it.I'm 6'1" and 60 and have had back issues in the past.If you rarely cut more than 20" diameter,the 362 will be fine.
My son has a 290 like yours.He has a 20" bar and runs a .325 pitch.Changed to a 3/8ths but changed back since he felt he lost power.When we saw wood together,he can cut along real well.Bigger stuff,he can cut but likes for my saw to cut it.
As far as bar length and big trees,the guys who log my timber run 461s with a 20" bar.Cut one poplar last year nearly 40" stump diameter.

Nice to see your son with you.A great way to spend time together.Teaches him about the woods and how you get things done.You can also relay the satisfaction of a warm fire on a cold evening as the fruit of your labor.If more men did what you are doing,we'd have a better society.At least he won't be like that ad on TV where two clueless boys don't know how to change the tire.

Well my saw purchase will have to wait until next season. I ended up with a new Mountain Bike.

So for now my 290 will have to do. Was up cutting at 11,200’ yesterday. She was pretty weak at that altitude.

7CB70D1C-7791-4AA1-871D-482909F933DC.jpeg

Back