Considering Dodge 1500 Eco-diesel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And most of the small gassers as well. Now if they would just stop feeding the crud from the crankcase into the intake ahead of the valves life would be sweeter or at least filter it so it doesn't muck up the works in direct injection units.

Put 10 K lbs behind the ecoboost and kiss any milage good by. I have a 16 escape 2.4 eco solid 29.5 mpg ( I drive 80 miles a day staight hwy) but toss a small trailer behind it and that drops to 15-18 mpg @70mph. on the other hand my 06 F250 5.4 will hang at about 12 with a 10k load and my 04 6.o f250 oil burner will do 15+ with same load ( both have 378 rears) I reiterate "no replacement for displacement". another note on the2.4 If I have trailer (6x10) and 1/3 cord load on it and maintain 75 mph i can get apx 20 mpg with little to no gear hopping by the tranny- drop to the 70 mph posted limit and it is shifting all the time trying to maintain the power band- mpg drops to 15.
You're absolutely correct on the mpg. Both of mine did really well empty, below 65mph, if you don't have a heavy foot. My foot is pretty heavy ;). After that any dreams of sipping fuel are gone.
On the power side 3.5 eco will run circles around the 5.4 any day. To be fair a 6sp tranny is a big advantage over a 5sp too. But there is a reason they dropped the 6.2 from the raptor in favor of the eco.

Really depends on what your use is. advertising hype is one thing real world ....... not about top hp, its about grunt all day long - year after year.
Raptor - changes there I think are more along the line of making numbers fleetwise for the epa. and secondarily for the that particular market segment. I do not see ford sticking that 3.5 in the 2,3,4,5/50 lines.

Really depends on what your use is. advertising hype is one thing real world ....... not about top hp, its about grunt all day long - year after year.
Raptor - changes there I think are more along the line of making numbers fleetwise for the epa. and secondarily for the that particular market segment. I do not see ford sticking that 3.5 in the 2,3,4,5/50 lines.

Yeah, you're right on the super duty's. It'd maybe be alright in a 250, but that be it. It's an impressive little motor though. I haven't heard much, haven't looked either, as to longevity. My needs changed from an everyday driver/hunting rig that had to sometimes tow a bobcat to a wood hauler/farm truck with larger towing capacities. It gets beat to much to be a new truck, so I left the new F150's behind and moved on to bigger, stronger, uglier things. Currently a '98 dodge with a 12v Cummins. I do miss the drivability of the ecoboost though. It was a nice rig for what I needed at the time.

just recieved a note 2020 superduties 250up may have a new gasser 7.3L, 500 ftlbs torq weather that is an 8 or 10 unknown also weather turbo or not.

Back