Considering reducing crew size to one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I feel like the stress of having employees isn't worth it. The work load, equipment upkeep, reliability, money managing, insurance ect... I think I could live a very simple, stress ftee life just working alone. Anyone else do this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yep, Miko. I ran 3 crews of 3 each. 1 Certified Climber, & 1-2 groundsmen/ laborer. I just couldn't take the stress any longer. Now, I have 1-2 guys that I can call to help as groundsmen/laborer. My take home pay is not far off, after W/C, State/Federal, FICA, etc, etc, etc. I also have a lot more free time to go hangout in the woods and help friends with other projects. It stings a little in the beginning, but once you get your spending under control, it's a huge relief. I'd rather climb all day, then balance payroll and repair equipment that everyone abused. Everyone has to make that decision for themselves, I don't have a mortgage any longer, so I don't need to worry about having to work everyday. Good Luck on your decision.
Dave R

Nope,,the stress makes me feel alive and also important and worth the pay.
But I always have a beautiful day! There is stress in a lot of jobs, deal with it and manage it.
No one said life was easy. Everything you stress about is what everyone also stresses about,
some deal with and it makes for a better situation, some run from it and then find a new and different stress,,
oh yeah,,if you ain't stressed, you ain't living,,,:cheers:
Jeff

I don't think I'd make less money. And I'd rather fish or backpack and feel what living is meant to be than spend that time obsessing over crap. I feel numb to life because of stress.

Nope,,the stress makes me feel alive and also important and worth the pay.
But I always have a beautiful day! There is stress in a lot of jobs, deal with it and manage it.
No one said life was easy. Everything you stress about is what everyone also stresses about,
some deal with and it makes for a better situation, some run from it and then find a new and different stress,,
oh yeah,,if you ain't stressed, you ain't living,,,:cheers:
Jeff
Sounds terrible Jeff

I'm like Dave... all my crap is paid for. The house, the shop, the vehicles, the tools/equipment. I just have to pay the the property taxes and utilities (pretty low in this small town). Life is lots less stressful when you can just piss off whoever you want to.

But I always have a beautiful day!

You, my friend, are like my English Pointer. That crackhead dog wags in her sleep. Loves everybody. You can hear the air whistling in one ear and right on out the other one. Batshit crazy, and happy about it.
One day, she ate something out of the trash can she shouldn't have. Yacked on the kitchen floor and **** down her own leg. Stood there wagging her tail.

I feel like the stress of having employees isn't worth it. The work load, equipment upkeep, reliability, money managing, insurance ect... I think I could live a very simple, stress ftee life just working alone. Anyone else do this?

Stress free with no help.

But who would you have to holler at and blame then?

Got one good employee, and love being a small outfit.

In a former life when I was farmer/rancher I had a hay buyer who expanded his business to several semis, and it made him crazy. Drivers who mistreated trucks, headaches without end. He finally went back to running his own truck alone and did better on money and stress level. It was a lesson that I absorbed.

Maintaining equipment is so much simpler when it's just me running it. Don't have to wonder "WTF did he do to that thing?" No one takes care of stuff like the guy who owns it.

I run by myself again after just one year of having employees. If it's a massive job I just sub it out. You make just as much after cutting costs as a few have said above. Nothing is worse than writing checks for employer/payroll taxes and workers comp for employees who don't have a care in the world about their job. The chip truck, 12" chipper, dingo with bmg, 16' dump trailer and everything else are all paid for. Not having to go to work just to make payments is a great feeling.

@ TreeFeller11
You bring up a good point--paid off equipment is a huge plus. The less you pay in interest, and the less you have to generate work to make payments, the further ahead you are.

Tree work is the second business I've operated (farming/cattle earlier), and I kept profitable in tough times by getting by with older equipment, and then upgrading over time as I could. I've rarely paid notes on trucks or equipment. I remember neighbors with late model, high-$ combines and all the best equipment who went broke in the 1980s (remember the "farm crisis"?). I was working more perhaps with wrenches and a welder to keep old stuff operating, but I slept well at night and made money throughout.

Sometimes it's smart business to borrow for equipment, but only if you have adequate income to cover the cost without stretching you thin.

Latest posts

Back