considering Stihl 036 used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoortype

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Saw a Stihl 036 used at a local saw shop for $350. The owner said it had a "metal tag" meaning it was better . I am strongly considering this saw but concerned about the age. I know they have not produced this saw in a long time so even if it runs am I looking at a lot of repair in the near future? I really liked the way it felt in my hand. what are your thoughts?

Totally a roll of the dice. For that price it'd better be in real nice shape. And you should take the muffler cover off and examine the piston for scoring. They're great saws, but that's about as much as I'd pay for one that isn't mint condition.

http://op e forum.com/threads/stihl-036-price-reduction.19048/#post-994729p

You have to take the spaces out from either side of the "e" in that url, because the other site's name is censored here. But anyway, here is an 036 which has been gone through by a reputable member and costs about $100 less than the one at the pawn shop.

Where in VA are you , I am near South Boston VA and have a nice ms360 If you are close you could come and run the saw
and I will sell it for less than $350
I'm up near Winchester. Thanks for the offer. I'll have to think about it. The same dealer offered to sell me a new Jonsered 2260 for $650. I really don't need another saw and my other 2 60cc saws-359's are 2004 and 2005. If I'm gonna upgrade I should probably look for a newer model considering parts availability

I'm up near Winchester. Thanks for the offer. I'll have to think about it. The same dealer offered to sell me a new Jonsered 2260 for $650. I really don't need another saw and my other 2 60cc saws-359's are 2004 and 2005. If I'm gonna upgrade I should probably look for a newer model considering parts availability
An 036 is no upgrade from your 359’s..

It’s a downgrade.

Pro and cons to both, I suppose, but an 036 will feel like a jackhammer compared to a 359. I know, I ran both today.

It really depends on conditions and your local market: around here $350 for a 036 in any working condition would be a good deal indeed.

Since you can easily spot a saw that's been heavily used, the one thing you should be concerned about is the fuel delivery system, especially if the previous owner(s) had a habit of storing the saw with fuel in it for long periods of time.
In spite of what some folks say these x36x saws are very well made and I really like them, albeit truly loud without proper ear protection.

If it’s in very good shape and comes with bar and chain, I’d buy it.

They are durable and tough to kill. Many parts still available and it’s a simple saw to fix.

Treat it right and will last you a lifetime.

There are faster saws out there, but the Husky’s don’t have the same reliability as the Stihl’s IMHO. Maybe the 2 series, but that’s about it.

Probably my favorite saw. I just bought and 036 that looks almost new in the box with the original bar and chain...It did not come cheap, but cheaper than a new MS362 that it will probably out wear 2 of. I already had 3 036 s.

036 great durable saw and handles well but I would look for a 361 in the 60cc class or have one of your 359 ported. I have a ported 2159 and it will run with a stock 044 with 20 inch bar 8 pin rim. Had a stock 359 and prefer stock 361 over it if just staying stock. I think the 359/2159 is probably one of the best gains saw for port work

036 great durable saw and handles well but I would look for a 361 in the 60cc class or have one of your 359 ported. I have a ported 2159 and it will run with a stock 044 with 20 inch bar 8 pin rim. Had a stock 359 and prefer stock 361 over it if just staying stock. I think the 359/2159 is probably one of the best gains saw for port work
Yes that's what I have heard. Honestly, I got rid of the cat mufflers and haven't felt like I needed to do anything else. I love my 359's but the 036 felt good and you know how it is-something new(to me) and different...

Lots of good advice here, and they're all right. An 036 is very comparable to your 359s. They're both good 20" bar firewood saws. They both take well to porting and they're both (once a metal clamp is added to the 359) reliable. $350 is at the higher end of the price range, but most places will haggle. The whole metal tag being better is mostly not true, or at least debatable. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. If you decide to spend the funds on hopping up one of your 359s give @huskihl a shout.

Back