• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Contractor Excuses

svk

Saw Hoarder
I get it, people are busy and **** happens. But it sure gets annoying to be strung along by contractors with clearly bogus excuses. But they lie to hang onto the job even when it is something they do not want to do.

The shower at work is broken and has been broken for a month. Not the end of the world but an inconvenience for sure. Building owner calls a plumber, "I'll be over next week". Later the following week I happen to run into the contractor and he more or less condescendingly tells me "that's a job for a rainy day, we need to get more important jobs done when the weather is nice". Fine, then do not promise to get it fixed next week!!! Tell the truth off the bat. Problem is, I think this guy owes the building owner so that is why he is the default call. And there has probably been 5 or 6 rainy days yet nobody showed up. Apparently there must be a lot of rainy day projects.

Some others:
My truck/equipment is broken
I have to finish this other job first
I cant get parts/supplies
I have to do (lame excuse)

I am sure you guys have heard some good ones.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounds like he isn't interested in doing it but if he owes the owner he will tell him he'll be over sometime but most likely has no intentions to ever do it unless the owner comes down hard on him reminding him that he owes him for something. Probably thinks the owner will get tired of waiting and hire someone else. And he's probably of course picking out the big jobs that pay better first, not too many interested in smaller jobs if better paying ones are out there BUT it still is a job and is something that needs to be fixed!

svk

Saw Hoarder
Sounds like he isn't interested in doing it but if he owes the owner he will tell him he'll be over sometime but most likely has no intentions to ever do it unless the owner comes down hard on him reminding him that he owes him for something. Probably thinks the owner will get tired of waiting and hire someone else. And he's probably of course picking out the big jobs that pay better first, not too many interested in smaller jobs if better paying ones are out there BUT it still is a job and is something that needs to be fixed!
The frustrating thing is I offered to do it myself for free just so it would be done....And was told no, he can do it.

NIP Group
holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
The building owner is being a ****. So is the plumber. **** that! Fix it yourself and let those guys sort it out. Withhold whatever it costs in parts from your rent payment.
You shouldn't have to put up with idiots that are inconveniencing you.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
The frustrating thing is I offered to do it myself for free just so it would be done....And was told no, he can do it.
And if you went ahead and just did it so it would be fixed you'd catch heck for it probably. Either that or the other guy will say that he did it and take the credit lol!

Reactions: svk
PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
The building owner is being a ****. So is the plumber. **** that! Fix it yourself and let those guys sort it out. Withhold whatever it costs in parts from your rent payment.
You shouldn't have to put up with idiots that are inconveniencing you.
It's the shower at his work so he isn't paying any rent.

svk

Saw Hoarder
As a guy who tries to be punctual for things in my personal and professional life it drives me nuts when people overpromise and underdeliver. Especially when, from the get-go they have no intentions of providing what they promised.

I took a half day off this spring for gravel to be delivered to our road. I did not want to risk leaving instructions for the guys because something is always missed. The guy did not tell me he was going to be late until he was already late then put me off two more times and finally said he wasn't coming that day. So I had to take a half day off the next day for him to deliver. He knew he had a big project going before me that was a full hour away yet he did not let me know that morning that there was no way possible that he'd make it on time.

These guys just have no respect or value for the other individual's time.....

svk

Saw Hoarder
It's the shower at his work so he isn't paying any rent.
Correct and I am pretty sure building owner is trying to collect on the IOU from contractor.

The tougher part is I know both of them pretty well...both great guys to shoot the **** with but I knew right away when he told me who was fixing it, that it would never get done.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
As a guy who tries to be punctual for things in my personal and professional life it drives me nuts when people overpromise and underdeliver. Especially when, from the get-go they have no intentions of providing what they promised.

I took a half day off this spring for gravel to be delivered to our road. I did not want to risk leaving instructions for the guys because something is always missed. The guy did not tell me he was going to be late until he was already late then put me off two more times and finally said he wasn't coming that day. So I had to take a half day off the next day for him to deliver. He knew he had a big project going before me that was a full hour away yet he did not let me know that morning that there was no way possible that he'd make it on time.

These guys just have no respect or value for the other individual's time.....
Sounds like some of the guys that we had scheduled to clean our oil burner years ago, the wife more than me would take the day off, TELL THEM in advance that it HAS to be done that day because we are taking the day off for it, only to sit and wait and wait and wait only to have them call and say "we can't make it today, how is tomorrow?"

Bwildered

Bwildered

Tree Freak
I get it, people are busy and **** happens. But it sure gets annoying to be strung along by contractors with clearly bogus excuses. But they lie to hang onto the job even when it is something they do not want to do.

The shower at work is broken and has been broken for a month. Not the end of the world but an inconvenience for sure. Building owner calls a plumber, "I'll be over next week". Later the following week I happen to run into the contractor and he more or less condescendingly tells me "that's a job for a rainy day, we need to get more important jobs done when the weather is nice". Fine, then do not promise to get it fixed next week!!! Tell the truth off the bat. Problem is, I think this guy owes the building owner so that is why he is the default call. And there has probably been 5 or 6 rainy days yet nobody showed up. Apparently there must be a lot of rainy day projects.

Some others:
My truck/equipment is broken
I have to finish this other job first
I cant get parts/supplies
I have to do (lame excuse)

I am sure you guys have heard some good ones.
You should work out who is lying first, why would a plumber owe a building owner anything? I'd say the building owner owes the plumber for work done & hasn't paid the bill yet.

aokpops

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm a builder done it for decades . I feel no excuse . Like most we were underpaid at very demanding job .There are people out there that are well under paid . . At the other end there are people that do nothing and think they deserve more . I guess rich and poor think like this . They have no respect a turd will layed at Walmart and that's how roll .

Joel D'Angelo

Joel D'Angelo

ArboristSite Operative
I have been a home improvement contractor for 15 years and I can tell you maybe why contractors aren't punctual. 1) Sometimes the job runs you. You can't just turn off your computer and leave. You've got employees that need supervision, trips to the dump or supply houses that run long, it's alway's something taking longer than you thought. 2) You have to do the bigger jobs ahead of small jobs because small jobs usually hardly pay enough to cover your labor. 3) It's not something to complain about but sometimes you can have 3-4 people all wanting you at the same time. That said it is no excuse not to call and at least let the person know if you are not going to show.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
I have been a home improvement contractor for 15 years and I can tell you maybe why contractors aren't punctual. 1) Sometimes the job runs you. You can't just turn off your computer and leave. You've got employees that need supervision, trips to the dump or supply houses that run long, it's alway's something taking longer than you thought. 2) You have to do the bigger jobs ahead of small jobs because small jobs usually hardly pay enough to cover your labor. 3) It's not something to complain about but sometimes you can have 3-4 people all wanting you at the same time. That said it is no excuse not to call and at least let the person know if you are not going to show.

I'm also a remodeling contractor, and yes, it's a challenge to keep to any kind of schedule. When you have months of jobs lined up, you just can't pick a day when one job will start. I tell my customers they can try and find someone else (good luck, they're busy too) or they can wait until I get to them. I'll give them a call when their turn on the list is approaching, and I give them a ballpark idea of when that might be.

However, I don't prioritize jobs - I more-or-less take them as they come in, regardless of the size. But it does help to string together a bunch of little jobs in between the big jobs. Sometimes I can squeeze in a little job at the end of a day or do it on a Saturday.

But to tell someone you'll be there and not show up is not good. A contractor should really communicate with his customer. And I struggle with that too!

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Always wondered who uses work showers?

At a job I worked, there were 4 showers in the locker room. One even special for wheelchairs. Don't think I ever saw them used.

A few guys would change into "work" clothes everyday, which I never understood as the work was rarely dirty.