• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Contractor Excuses

dive_hive

dive_hive

ArboristSite Lurker
At least you get an excuse I guess. I called four contractors last year to get estimates on sagging structural beams and drywall work done in my home. I had some extra jingle in my pocket, so I thought I'd just hire it out. I'm a jack of all trades, but a drywaller and (whatever a beam replacer is called.lol.) I am not. If it was in my garage or barns, sure, but I wanted it to atleast look nice when it was finished. I can usually get the job done, but it ain't always pretty. I got a day and time from all four contractors of when they would be out to bid it. It's now been a year. Not one of them showed up. None of them returned my call when they didn't show up. None of them called to reschedule. Nadda. No excuses. They didn't even tell me to go pound sand in a rat hole. If you want a job done, even if it's not exactly right, do it your darn self I guess. They're lower than snake bellies.

Reactions: svk

svk

Saw Hoarder
At least you get an excuse I guess. I called four contractors last year to get estimates on sagging structural beams and drywall work done in my home. I had some extra jingle in my pocket, so I thought I'd just hire it out. I'm a jack of all trades, but a drywaller and (whatever a beam replacer is called.lol.) I am not. If it was in my garage or barns, sure, but I wanted it to atleast look nice when it was finished. I can usually get the job done, but it ain't always pretty. I got a day and time from all four contractors of when they would be out to bid it. It's now been a year. Not one of them showed up. None of them returned my call when they didn't show up. None of them called to reschedule. Nadda. No excuses. They didn't even tell me to go pound sand in a rat hole. If you want a job done, even if it's not exactly right, do it your darn self I guess. They're lower than snake bellies.
Yep I can’t stand no response. Worse than bad excuses in my book!

I’m helping some elderly friends work through re-doing their estate planning. All of their living children live hours to several states away. I called my classmate who is an attorney in another state and said I need a good estate planning attorney. Was referred to one who they used to work for. I’ve called there three times and of course can’t get past the paralegal who promises to get back to me with times to meet with my friends. Heard nothing. Finally I found someone else who is very responsive and charges $100 dollars an hour less.

Just pisses me off that the paralegal knew we were referrals, agreed to paying her attorney’s $325 an hour rate, and couldn’t even be professional enough to either tell us they were too busy (unlikely) or get a meeting set up.

svk

Saw Hoarder
Always wondered who uses work showers?

At a job I worked, there were 4 showers in the locker room. One even special for wheelchairs. Don't think I ever saw them used.

A few guys would change into "work" clothes everyday, which I never understood as the work was rarely dirty.
When you have to be clean for something else and you have a 40 minute drive to your own place, a shower on the spot is very helpful.

svk

Saw Hoarder
I have been a home improvement contractor for 15 years and I can tell you maybe why contractors aren't punctual. 1) Sometimes the job runs you. You can't just turn off your computer and leave. You've got employees that need supervision, trips to the dump or supply houses that run long, it's alway's something taking longer than you thought. 2) You have to do the bigger jobs ahead of small jobs because small jobs usually hardly pay enough to cover your labor. 3) It's not something to complain about but sometimes you can have 3-4 people all wanting you at the same time. That said it is no excuse not to call and at least let the person know if you are not going to show.
I'm also a remodeling contractor, and yes, it's a challenge to keep to any kind of schedule. When you have months of jobs lined up, you just can't pick a day when one job will start. I tell my customers they can try and find someone else (good luck, they're busy too) or they can wait until I get to them. I'll give them a call when their turn on the list is approaching, and I give them a ballpark idea of when that might be.

However, I don't prioritize jobs - I more-or-less take them as they come in, regardless of the size. But it does help to string together a bunch of little jobs in between the big jobs. Sometimes I can squeeze in a little job at the end of a day or do it on a Saturday.

But to tell someone you'll be there and not show up is not good. A contractor should really communicate with his customer. And I struggle with that too!
Thank you guys for being truthful and communicating with your customers.

I find it’s very helpful to manage expectations before a sale/deal. I’m working on something that may require us to rely on outside providers, I’ll definitely let people know...this may be done by Thursday and it may not be done for 10 weeks...it all depends on what is needed.

Sort of like when I agree to fix saws for my friends and family members I’ll tell them that I will get it done but there’s no promises when. It might be next week and might be next year.

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
I get it, people are busy and **** happens. But it sure gets annoying to be strung along by contractors with clearly bogus excuses. But they lie to hang onto the job even when it is something they do not want to do.

The shower at work is broken and has been broken for a month. Not the end of the world but an inconvenience for sure. Building owner calls a plumber, "I'll be over next week". Later the following week I happen to run into the contractor and he more or less condescendingly tells me "that's a job for a rainy day, we need to get more important jobs done when the weather is nice". Fine, then do not promise to get it fixed next week!!! Tell the truth off the bat. Problem is, I think this guy owes the building owner so that is why he is the default call. And there has probably been 5 or 6 rainy days yet nobody showed up. Apparently there must be a lot of rainy day projects.

Some others:
My truck/equipment is broken
I have to finish this other job first
I cant get parts/supplies
I have to do (lame excuse)

I am sure you guys have heard some good ones.
since when does a plumber work in the rain, thus making it a rainy day job that he'll be working inside?? Isn't all plumbing inside??

Tip number 2

don't hire friends. My electrician hasn't shown up for third third week. Good friend but come on!Doesn't answer phone calls or texts and when I see him on the street, "oh ya, tomorrow for sure"

no show.

If I wasn't into him for so much, he'd be gone.

svk

Saw Hoarder
since when does a plumber work in the rain, thus making it a rainy day job that he'll be working inside?? Isn't all plumbing inside??

Tip number 2

don't hire friends. My electrician hasn't shown up for third third week. Good friend but come on!Doesn't answer phone calls or texts and when I see him on the street, "oh ya, tomorrow for sure"

no show.

If I wasn't into him for so much, he'd be gone.
Yeah that’s a weak excuse for sure!! Unless he’s doing the original piping for in slab heat there’s no reason he’d be outside. Certainly not weeks worth!

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
So I am finishing up a job this next week, and the next person on the job is a kitchen remodel. I just now messaged them to let them know I could start on a certain day. They messaged back telling me that they got it done already.

So it's not just the contractors - it's the customers as well.

But no worries. Plenty of work lined up. The next customer in line will be very happy!
But at least he told me he tried to do some of it himself and may have messed things up.....

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I remodeled the old bathroom and installed a new full bathroom in the addition so I know. Since my disability won’t let me work anymore I hired a contractor from Angie’s list. The only guy who showed up. First he asked me where I worked and what I did for a living. Big mistake I should of said nothing. He probed me on income. He over charged me plus didn’t do what I wanted and took nine months and I fired him. I taught my son how to do tile to finish the job.

I need to research these contractors more.

Don’t trust Angie’s list.....

dive_hive

dive_hive

ArboristSite Lurker
Yep I can’t stand no response. Worse than bad excuses in my book!

I’m helping some elderly friends work through re-doing their estate planning. All of their living children live hours to several states away. I called my classmate who is an attorney in another state and said I need a good estate planning attorney. Was referred to one who they used to work for. I’ve called there three times and of course can’t get past the paralegal who promises to get back to me with times to meet with my friends. Heard nothing. Finally I found someone else who is very responsive and charges $100 dollars an hour less.

Just pisses me off that the paralegal knew we were referrals, agreed to paying her attorney’s $325 an hour rate, and couldn’t even be professional enough to either tell us they were too busy (unlikely) or get a meeting set up.
Both situations are bad business either way.
I'm glad you have gotten your friends estate planning lined out. I'm relatively young, but I did my estate planning last year, it was probably a little easier because my family is small and my estate is pretty straight forward,but it's still stressful and hard decisions HAVE to be made. The ifs, whens, and why can become very worrisome, even for the laid back types. Any amount of burden that's lifted is extremely helpful. Hope everything works out.d