Conversions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to figure board feet and linnear (sp) feet when refering to lumber and logs.

Thanks,
Doug

<A href="http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/t01_pages/tt_pdf/1211_ScaleStick.pdf"> here</a> is a PDF document with some instructions on using the 3 most common scales.

If you take the diameter of the small end of the log divided by the square root of 2, you'll know approximately how big a square will fit in the log with no allowance for wane.

say your log is 17"
17/1.414=12; you can get a 12" cant from a log with little wane.

If you're cutting that cant with a chain saw mill and 3/8" chain, your kerf will use up 5/16"; 8 cuts and you can have 9 boards each a hair over 1"

If using a bandsaw mill, you'll get at least 2 more 1" boards out of that log, and if using an insert tooth circle saw mill, figure your kerf at 1/4", cut your cant at 12" x 12-1/2" for 10 boards. (Actually, your cant would only need to be 12-1/4" but most of the old portable mills weren't that accurate so old-time sawyers would add...)

A board foot is a 1" board, 12" long and 12" wide. After drying and dressing, that board is 3/4" thick, 11" to 11-1/4" wide (depending on species, mill, and coast) and 12" long. There's 2 bf in a 2x12, 1 foot long.

Linear feet is running feet. If you took your 9: 1 x12's out of an 8' log, you'd have 72 linear feet of 1x12 lumber. Linear feet is usually used in measuring millwork or narrow stock.

Hi Doug,
Like eyolf has shown, you are not as much determining exactly how many feet are in a log but expected yield. Your best bet is to find out what scale your log buyer is using and become proficient with that one. It still takes a good eye to accont for defects so scales are just a guide.

Russ

Thanks for the info. Got a fair amount of cedar at my parents house that I'm tring get taken care of. Useing some to make a fence and was wanting to sell some once I get enough lumber cut. It's a lot cheaper for the lumber but to make any money at selling it I think I need a lot bigger trees. The smallest the saw mill guy will take is 8' x 8" (which he said = 15 feet) and that means about $3.75. That isn't really worth it. He buys it for $0.25 linear foot. I'd probably make more buy having him cut me lumber and selling that.

Anyway I'll call around to some other mills and see what they pay.
Maybe I should log some oak. I don't know how I would get that on the truck.

Does anyone know of a website that that has a printable chart like the one that is on the back of the stick?

Thanks,
Doug

Back