convert bar from 066 to 090- possible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is involved in modding a bar from an 066 to fit an 090?

Have the chance to get a good deal on a long bar from an 066 and want to mod it to fit on my 090.

Anyone done this?
I am sure I have seen a thread on this, but looked and couldn't find it. May have been on another site.

Thanks for any help on this :)

Is the bar mount pattern different?

I don't know much about Stihls, just that they are the next best Saws After Husqvarna ;):)

With Husqvarna the equivalent saws, the 395XP and 3120XP, use the same bar mount, but the 395 comes stock with a 3/8 pitch chain, and the 3120 comes with a .404 pitch stock, so if it is a sprocket tip bar, you would need to match the drive sprocket to the nose sprocket.

Maybe just as easy with Stihl? IDK

Doug :cheers:

The proper "engineering " way to do this is to get the 660 bar slot milled out to suit the 090 bar bolts.

Another way is to get new bar bolts turned up that suit the 090 holes in the saw and the 066 bar slot.

There have several hacks reported using an angel grinder to open up the slot that seemed to work.

Don't know about the oil holes though - you will have to see if the mate up otherwise new ones will need to be drilled in the 660 bar.

The proper "engineering " way to do this is to get the 660 bar slot milled out to suit the 090 bar bolts.

Another way is to get new bar bolts turned up that suit the 090 holes in the saw and the 066 bar slot.

There have several hacks reported using an angel grinder to open up the slot that seemed to work.

Don't know about the oil holes though - you will have to see if the mate up otherwise new ones will need to be drilled in the 660 bar.

Well, I guess that answers my question, there is more different than just the pitch, Bummer:(

Doug :cheers:

What is involved in modding a bar from an 066 to fit an 090?

Have the chance to get a good deal on a long bar from an 066 and want to mod it to fit on my 090.

Anyone done this?
I am sure I have seen a thread on this, but looked and couldn't find it. May have been on another site.

Thanks for any help on this :)
I have read that modding the bar mount studs can get what you're looking for. The same studs are used for each bar size. Turn the studs 90 out and machine a flat that allows the 12 mm opening to bottom the bar. I've used diamond bits in my dremel to work on the oil openings in my bars to open or angle the flow. Lineing up the openings by modding the bar as needed will get r done.
When using standard bar the studs are turned in and no muss no fuss.

The 090 bars are wider you need to push the 66 joint bar up towards the oil hole to fit on an 880 so if day its the same on the 090. I’ve opened several bars with a angle grinder taking my time. It’s a crude tool that has .1-.5mm of slop in that area depending on bar manufacturer already.

I have read that modding the bar mount studs can get what you're looking for. The same studs are used for each bar size. Turn the studs 90 out and machine a flat that allows the 12 mm opening to bottom the bar. I've used diamond bits in my dremel to work on the oil openings in my bars to open or angle the flow. Lineing up the openings by modding the bar as needed will get r done.
When using standard bar the studs are turned in and no muss no fuss.

"Turn the studs 90 out" I am uncertain what this describes. Do you have any pictures?

"Turn the studs 90 out" I am uncertain what this describes. Do you have any pictures?
Turn a quarter turn out from bottomed to keep as much thread engagement. The diameter reduced by grinding/filing a flat on the low side of the studs to allow the smaller width on the ms 660 series bar to seat and bring the oil hole as close to the feed from the 880 to minimize dremel adjustment on the bar to get good b&c oiling. Leaves the studs useable for either mounting, and the bars ready to mount on either saw. Turn the studs back into bottom to use the full diameter for the 880 mount bars.

Back