converting a 350 to a 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got a running, but wornout 350 and I have the case with crank, but not gas tank, off a 346. I also have a decent 346xp, 44.3 bore cyl, but no piston. It is my thinking that the 350 could benefit from just a new ring, simple easy fix. For not much more work plus a new piston, I can use the 350parts, to just build a 346xp. I think the gas tank, carb and all the covers will direct bolt to a 346 case. I have a 346 case gasket and even have a new 346xp decal for the starter cover. Or I could just put the 346 cyl on the 350. What would you do.

Best answer is collect parts to build both! But if you're only gonna do one...

No question, build out the 346. All of the parts except the cases will interchange. Check out my thread on the 2147, same saw in red. It has some 350 parts in it.

I have zero in the 350 and zero in the 346 case. I dont have the need for the 350 so I could put in a ring and just sell it. Or, I can spend $35 on a meteor piston and ring and have a 346 to sell. I think the 346 will bring the most cash/profit and building the 346 is the direction I am leaning. I need to start selling a few saws. I have built several saws from scrap, using all oem parts, and cant run them all. Wanting one of the 550xp mk2 that are coming on the market. I like my 50cc saws.

I have zero in the 350 and zero in the 346 case. I dont have the need for the 350 so I could put in a ring and just sell it. Or, I can spend $35 on a meteor piston and ring and have a 346 to sell. I think the 346 will bring the most cash/profit and building the 346 is the direction I am leaning. I need to start selling a few saws. I have built several saws from scrap, using all oem parts, and cant run them all. Wanting one of the 550xp mk2 that are coming on the market. I like my 50cc saws.
One thing I forgot; the top covers don't interchange. So, you'll need a clip on top cover for the 346 case.

If you truly love 50cc saws, and you haven't tried a 44.3mm 346, you may find it difficult to let go. They won't have quite the torque of those 55s you did but in most cases they'll be a lot faster.

One thing I forgot; the top covers don't interchange. So, you'll need a clip on top cover for the 346 case.

If you truly love 50cc saws, and you haven't tried a 44.3mm 346, you may find it difficult to let go. They won't have quite the torque of those 55s you did but in most cases they'll be a lot faster.
I build my oe 346xp using the 44.3 top and no base gasket. I was noodleing some large red oak using my 266xp with 24in bar and the 346 using a 18in bar and new .325 chain. I swear I believe the 346 was at least equal to the 266. My other 346xp is a ne with new 44.3 top. I put a 18in 325 chain on it yesterday, but havent tried it out. There is no comparison between the 346 and the 55s, the 346 wins using .325 bar/chain and 3/8 20in b/c on the 55s. I am sure using longer bars and 3/8 chain on the 346 or going to the smaller sizes on the 55 would probably make them more equal. My goal is light weight saws with power and the 346xp seems to be filling that order. Right now I am planning on selling at least 3 of my 55s and probably the 266xp and thinning the herd. that would leave me 2-55s, 2-346xps, a 272xp with 24in bar. I might put a 20in bar on the 266 and keep it , havent made up my mind. I also have a oe 346 with the 42mm bore I gave to my son to use. I never liked that saw, but it does run good.

I see you had to grind a little clearance in the 350 case to get the 346top to fit. Or is that something else. I also see those shiny ports. That piston does look like a popup, where did you get it.

I see you had to grind a little clearance in the 350 case to get the 346top to fit. Or is that something else. I also see those shiny ports. That piston does look like a popup, where did you get it.
All enquires to Del @deaves61 . He built the saw .

I can say that it's just as fast or faster than any ported 346xp I have owned over the years.

Latest posts

Back