converting gas motor to electric ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larry l

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a CHAMPION 27 ton log splitter, with 224 cm. gas motor. And I was thinking about taking the gas motor off and replacing it with a 5 hp. electric motor, the gas motor works perfectly fine, but I just want to reduce the noise level. Does this make any sense and will it work ? I will need to run about 100 feet of cord to a pug . THANKS I split about 12 cord a year.

A true 5hp motor will draw 23-30 amps and for that long of run 10ga wire may not be enough. It's going to cost around $200 for a role of 8-3 cord, $50 for a couple plugs, and $300 plus for a true 5hp motor. Probably spend another $50-100 on miscellaneous parts to make it all work.
The cheaper electric motors,you often see on eBay and such are not true 5hp, look at the amps, if it is not over 20 amp draw it is,not really 5hp.
Is is really worth it to you just to reduce the noise? Those Champion motors seem to be some of the quieter ones out there, so I can't imagine it's too bad.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

And if you don't have a 220 volt plug to hook into, figure in the cost of wiring that or paying an electrician to install one.

For 12 cords it is not worth your effort to make changes. I put an auto muffler on mine and it did help. You could make a shroud with insulating panels pretty cheap. To run a true 5 HP motor it would perform about the same as a 7.5 HP gas. The work involved to go electric will not be super easy, but doable. Thanks

A true 5hp motor will draw 23-30 amps and for that long of run 10ga wire may not be enough. It's going to cost around $200 for a role of 8-3 cord, $50 for a couple plugs, and $300 plus for a true 5hp motor. Probably spend another $50-100 on miscellaneous parts to make it all work.
The cheaper electric motors,you often see on eBay and such are not true 5hp, look at the amps, if it is not over 20 amp draw it is,not really 5hp.
Is is really worth it to you just to reduce the noise? Those Champion motors seem to be some of the quieter ones out there, so I can't imagine it's too bad.

Yes, the full load current will be around that, but it'll be rare to get to that point on a wood splitter for much length of time.

100ft cord, 10 gauge, with a 30 amp load is only about a 2.5% voltage drop, which is perfectly acceptable. Could make that cord 200ft and still be under 5%

For 12 cords it is not worth your effort to make changes. I put an auto muffler on mine and it did help. You could make a shroud with insulating panels pretty cheap. To run a true 5 HP motor it would perform about the same as a 7.5 HP gas. The work involved to go electric will not be super easy, but doable. Thanks

I've had neighbors before that had super sonic hearing and felt the world should revolve around them so I can totally understand if it's an effort to keep the peace.

The being said, the Honda and cheap Honda clones are fairly quiet. The first splitter I bought had a 6.5hp Honda clone. It was quiet enough I could easily talk to someone without having to yell. The 11hp Briggs on my current splitter, it's almost painful to run without hearing protection. Have to yell over it for sure!

You might try to find out what the cost of electricity vs gas. How many Kw hours will that 5+ HP electric motor draw vs. gas millage. Also what would be the DB difference between an electric motor vs gas.
They make small electric splitters that you could use on the smaller stuff and use the gas splitter to bust down the big pieces to a size that a small electric one will handle.
Mine has a Kolher motor that is not very loud, but If I wanted it quieter I would put a better muffler on it.

I've had neighbors before that had super sonic hearing and felt the world should revolve around them so I can totally understand if it's an effort to keep the peace.

The being said, the Honda and cheap Honda clones are fairly quiet. The first splitter I bought had a 6.5hp Honda clone. It was quiet enough I could easily talk to someone without having to yell. The 11hp Briggs on my current splitter, it's almost painful to run without hearing protection. Have to yell over it for sure!
The OP has a Champion splitter that has a 6.5hp honda clone. Champion makes their own engines, and in my experience, they are about the best quality clones going, and are quite quiet.

I wish my Honda 160gx had a pipe fitting for exhaust outlet like Briggs has. Then I could “plumb” it into a car muffler a little more easy. I set my engine/pump lay out so the exhaust faces away from the operator but it’s louder then I want to listen to with out hearing protection. Of course I’m the guy that runs a push mower with ear plugs in.

could be done with hydraulic power unit such as the ones used trash compaction, or hydraulic shears and bailers

check your pump rated RPM. Electric motors will be either 3450/3600 or 1800/1750. If your pump can take 3600 check your pump flow. Line sizes etc. If your motor is 1800 you may get just the touch above half the flow and a half speed

Back