converting Stihl MS250 to EZ start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone convert a Stihl MS250 to EZ start. I am curious if you just need the outer cover and flywheel. I have a friend with a bad shoulder.

Ok Thank you. I wonder what the difference is in the cases. I have the EZ start on a 211. It's amusing to pull the cord and nothing happens then a couple seconds later it starts.

I have also done the EZ to Regular pull start but not the other way. The EZ system doesn't seem quite as strong but they do have their purpose.

Hi! This is my first post here. I notice that this is an old thread, but relevant.. I got an MS250C EZ start with a broken crankcase. I notice that this crankcase is different from the regular version. The placement of the ignition coil screws is different, so a regular ignition coil won`t fit. Not sure if there are other differences as well. But the previous owner got a new crankcase off eBay, but he got the standard version. So the EZ-start ignition coil won`t fit. But would the saw work as the standard version if I just get a new ignition coil? I could ofcourse get a replacement EZ-start crankcase, but they are not that easy to find, at least not at a reasonable price.

You definitely need the flywheel, the dogs in it are different. You can change them over with just the starter side cover and the flywheel.
To be correct, the correct response for cyberkul is that he needs a new starter and flywheel!
If someone else with an EZ Start wants to convert his saw to a regular start type, he would need to replace the
coil, crankcase, flywheel and starter!!! Which no one would do!!!!

Thanks! Bad news I guess. The damage to the crankcase is that the fuel tank is cracked all the way around the filler cap. I have the part that is broken off. Maybe it is possible to glue it back in? Some plastics is possible to "weld".

To be correct, the correct response for cyberkul is that he needs a new starter and flywheel!
If someone else with an EZ Start wants to convert his saw to a regular start type, he would need to replace the
coil, crankcase, flywheel and starter!!! Which no one would do!!!!
Maybe I've got an earlier or later model but I changed my MS250c over to a regular starter and also changed the easy adjust chain thing over to the regular kind and did not change the case or the coil.Stihl MS250(3) 001.JPG I used an aftermarket flywheel and starter if that makes any difference and the case is definitely the same.

Not sure about the different versions. I found one that seems to fit on eBay, about $100 shipped from US to Norway. I cleaned the broken crankcase today, and made a repair with my soldering iron. Seems pretty solid, but I`m not sure yet if there are leaks. I added some plastics from the other crankcase in the crack20150714_153510_resize.jpg 20150714_210416_resize.jpg as I moved along with the soldering iron. Not pretty..

Latest posts

Back