converting tracked ATV to hydro drive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original transmission with 2 fowards and a reverse, is it an apex? I have a old coot atv with an apex transmission. They are hard to find.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 73
The original transmission with 2 fowards and a reverse, is it an apex? I have a old coot atv with an apex transmission. They are hard to find.

I do not know what brand the original transmission is/was.

I kept the old drive system in case this hydro setup fails catastrophically.

I took her out for her maiden voyage last night and delivered 200 pounds of deer carrots to the staging area in the dark, about 1.5 miles round trip through the swamp over the river and down a very narrow, technical, twisty trail.

No problems to report.

I bought a passepartout tracked vehicle and have removed the engine and transmission. I want to add the hydraulic motors, put a new engine in the rear. What hydraulic motors did you use, and what pump size? I am turning my tracked vehicle into a mini paintball tank.

I bought a passepartout tracked vehicle and have removed the engine and transmission. I want to add the hydraulic motors, put a new engine in the rear. What hydraulic motors did you use, and what pump size? I am turning my tracked vehicle into a mini paintball tank.

I do not know the size of the pumps/motors. They came from a zero turn commercial walk behind mower.

While these have plenty of power for snow, the hydros are much less happy on grass and other non skid surfaces.

I think the hydro setup from a commercial rider would be more appropriate for a non-snow machine.

I think the hydro setup is perfect for my needs: a go anywhere machine that is capable of hauling lots of firewood.

For paintball, you may want something faster. The original Drive system for the ppt appears ready made for a snowmobile engine. A 100hp rotax engine would really make that thing fly!

We have plenty of snow! There are drifts 2 feet or more. Today i decided to move a little firewood. I started the honeybadger, moved her out of the garage, and let her idle for a few minutes. She floated on top of the snow until i tried to turn around. The tracks began to dig into the snow drift i was on top of, and pretty soon she was pretty much drowning in snow, then, disaster!

The right side simply stopped driving. No matter if i pulled or pushed on the lever, the right side was completely dead!

I thought perhaps i destroyed the pump since the ambient temperature is below zero. Perhaps the oil wasn't sufficiently warm?

My mind began to think about how awesome this machine would be with a 100 hp rotax engine from a skidoo.......

a little investigation and i found that the hrdro line from the tank to the right side pump had come loose. This was letting air into the pump. After tightening the nut on this hydro line, everything is fine!

Glad it was an easy fix. I'd also love more video of the little beast in action.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back