Conveyor belt????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FerrisDiesel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I got my splitter all done up the way I want it, and it works awesome! It's missing one thing though..........a conveyor belt. Here's what I was thinking, and please interject as much as you want, that's why I posted this......

I was thinking of getting some old concrete chutes, like 3 or 4 lengths..bolting them together, but leaving it so you can break them down to make it trasportable. The concrete chutes would be used for the "trough" I guess you would call it, that the chain and belt would ride in. Instead of using a belt though, I was thinking of getting a chain, kinda like the one on a hay elevator, and welding some angle iron so many feet apart, to the chain..........Everbody following so far?
Trough, chain running inside trough to top, then down the bottom of it, with welded angle iron on chain.....

Then, this is another part I'm not sure of....My motor on my splitter is a 20 hp kohler, and it runs a 22 gpm haldex pump. I have my valve for my pusher cylinder, and another valve for my log lifter and one more valve which is doing nothing right now hooked up. could I take and run the conveyor off of that third valve? or do I need to make it seperate?
I was thinking that if I hook this all up I could just get a hydraulic motor, hook it up to the chain on the conveyor and run some quick connects to the third valve and away I go...

The thing is I don't know if the pump could supply a lifter, a pusher and a conveyor all at once????

If you guys could maybe give me some insight on if you think the concrete chutes will work that would be awesome! I figure I already have them it would be cheaper than buying or going to the scrap yard and getting steel to build a sub frame.

Thanks, and please feel free to interject.........alot..........I can't sleep at night cause I think WAY too much about my splitter!!! hahaha:cry:

weave, I don't know that "breaking it down" would be something you'd want to do? Sounds like a lot of work. Heavy too, the chutes, belting, chain - I think you'd do better to make one up as a stand-alone unit, put an axle under it, drawbar pin it to the back of the splitter, and go. I think I'd put it's own little power pack on it too, 4 or 5 hp engine, small tank & 4 gpm pump. Take the unused valve off the splitter & use it on the elevator. I used to have an old single chain corn elevator, pipe frame, it had it's own axle, and a winch on it with a bunch of pullies & sheaves, you could set the height anything you wanted. Your concrete chutes could work as a frame, if you don't go too long, reinforce the joints, and put the shafting in you'll need for the belt to ride on.

heres what I was thinking

See I kinda wanted the conveyor to "break down" smaller, kinda like the one on the back of a Wood Beaver. I was going to use the same kind of rig it has, with the winch/ratchet strap to lower it, and the hasp clap to secure the 2 chutes. I just think it would make it more managable than having a whole nother frame, axle, engine pump etc.

So I got my splitter all done up the way I want it, and it works awesome! It's missing one thing though..........a conveyor belt. Here's what I was thinking, and please interject as much as you want, that's why I posted this......

I was thinking of getting some old concrete chutes, like 3 or 4 lengths..bolting them together, but leaving it so you can break them down to make it trasportable. The concrete chutes would be used for the "trough" I guess you would call it, that the chain and belt would ride in. Instead of using a belt though, I was thinking of getting a chain, kinda like the one on a hay elevator, and welding some angle iron so many feet apart, to the chain..........Everbody following so far?
Trough, chain running inside trough to top, then down the bottom of it, with welded angle iron on chain.....

Then, this is another part I'm not sure of....My motor on my splitter is a 20 hp kohler, and it runs a 22 gpm haldex pump. I have my valve for my pusher cylinder, and another valve for my log lifter and one more valve which is doing nothing right now hooked up. could I take and run the conveyor off of that third valve? or do I need to make it seperate?
I was thinking that if I hook this all up I could just get a hydraulic motor, hook it up to the chain on the conveyor and run some quick connects to the third valve and away I go...

The thing is I don't know if the pump could supply a lifter, a pusher and a conveyor all at once????

If you guys could maybe give me some insight on if you think the concrete chutes will work that would be awesome! I figure I already have them it would be cheaper than buying or going to the scrap yard and getting steel to build a sub frame.

Thanks, and please feel free to interject.........alot..........I can't sleep at night cause I think WAY too much about my splitter!!! hahaha:cry:
I built may with the the belt on the bottom of the conveyor and the chain on top with angle so the wood will not silp down the conveyor.

Attachments

• saw 006.JPG
    saw 006.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 16
Back