copper beech

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The "beech7" pic shows a cavity; I would poke around in there to get an idea of strength loss. remove loose rotted stuff and shove a yardstick in and compute total cavity dimensions.

Then on the outside of the tree pull loose bark and decayed wood off and measure total circumference dead.

Then like Mike said post some pics of the crown. Looks like you have a growing risk that may need mitigation.

our tree surgeon is removing the leader involved. all branches coming off of the leader seem dead. the root system off of that leader seems to be in trouble. for now, the rest of the tree seems ok but if there is a root problem, i fear it will spread. thoughts?

david t

i had been communicating with some of you about the copper beech we have that is slowly dying on our backyard. an arborist recently determined that the tree suffers from ustulina deusta and is a butt rot disease that is fatal and untreatable. does anyone have any ideas on this subejct?

From Sinclair/Lyon Disease book p. 206--'progress is relatively slow". p 207 has pics of Fagus sylvatica with sporulation. I do not know of a cure, but I do know that paclobutrazol has fungistatic properties and that phosphite (Agri-Fos) is known to work on other persistent pathogens.

The diagnosis should not be a death sentence; check the root system for decay and look at cabling options if this tree has high value to you. I've managed a lot of trees with Ustulina cankers and it does move slowly and I think it can be stopped in some trees.

Ax-man said:
When I first saw this, the first thing that came to my mind was the Beech was in the first stages of Hypoxylon canker.
Larry

That was what my first thought was too.

The other thing that I have been seeing is pathogens introduced by ambrosia beetle into beech, causing a lot of bleeding cankers. I belive one of the primary psthogens is fusarium species that the beetles feed on.

Back