Copper Sulphate to kill roots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the support. It's nice to know that one of the "Engineer-types" came in supporting me on this mental exercise.

I was pretty proud of my "Mega-Zapper 7000" concept. I can see it now, equipped with huge cable spools for killing roots in the distance. It would need a monster transformer for fitting control to different primary lines and a 35' aerial device with BIG jumper cables for direct clamping onto those pesky primaries.

I had fun thinking about root pruning problem. I probably wasted too much time on it though.

control of elm tree suckers over front yard

I'm looking for a remedy to control Elm tree suckers that have propagated under suburban fence and are spreading a thick matt over the front yard.
Resi has asked for works to be done out side of home property and this makes root barrier tricky unless I pull up 15 m of footpath with associated costs.

I have tried MCPA herbicide last year twas good but not 100% result as vigourus growth kicks back up each spring. So looking for a offset trencher that can squeeze in a 6 inch gap beside fence and footpath to install plastic barrier or add drenching chemical (copper sulphate) that suppresses root growth with out translocating back to tree. Paraquat works but I am not about to go that far yet.

Its all because they laid front yard with old carpet cover some 8 years ago (don't ask) and so sub surface roots have spread thickly under this and as carpet rots away the sucker arise.

anyhoo ideas please

I've used Garlon 4 ultra with utility companies and it definatly killls small woody plants or prevents stumps from suckering back, but I don't know if it makes it's way through the grafted roots and kills other shoots that are not directly sprayed. To keep new seedlings from emerging you'd pretty much have to sterilize the ground. Any chance of the homeowner just letting you fill in the 6"x45' area with concrete? Good luck.

thanks your reply in the mean time I found another product and i"ll give it a go and use a air knife/spade to cut narrow trench along fence line this I will back fill with plastic barrier and concrete

Basta® Non-Selective Herbicide - Product Details - Bayer CropScience

It is not significantly translocated as an active herbicide throughout the plant, and therefore will only kill the part of a green plant that is contacted by spray. The active ingredient glufosinate-ammonium was originally isolated from soil-dwelling bacteria

What's your point flushcut? Did you not like either the Garlon or concrete idea? If you don't, just say so, and then add your suggestions. Like the original post...it's just an idea. A jug of Garlon cost a few hundred dollars. Granted he won't use very much of the bottle, but he's already talking about digging up the whole area, and thus putting labor dollars into it, so my thinking is that since you are already digging up the area lay down a 1/2 yard of concrete over it and be done with it.

Your popcorn thing is like Blueridge mark statement up there...it doesnt add to the subject. Not saying you don't know about the subject but like him you are not contributing. He didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about and yet he tried to stir up drama. If he knew anything about the subject, he would know that cities already use a rover/robot to explore the pipelines everyday. The rovors already have cameras, misc attachements, and drag along a power source/retrieving cable....so I was just thinking about adding a electrical device to zap the roots. It's not building a brand new robot. The only thing he knows is asplundh work. Not taking away from that...but he was hardly qaulified to comment on this subject. And apparantly he never figured out why powerlines are high volt/low amp or he would of grasped what I was saying in regards towards high amp/low volt attachement.

Sometimes you guys have some great insight and then sometimes you guys don't know jack about a subject and yet still add your little snide comments which is why I've been off this website for the last couple years. I come back on for one seemingly little insignificant comment and here comes the smartass icons and statements. I guess I'll leave again for a few more years because frankly, while I've learned a few things on this site, I've learned a lot more just be doing my own thing and doing other aspects of tree work aside from residential and utitlity.

What's your point flushcut? Did you not like either the Garlon or concrete idea? If you don't, just say so, and then add your suggestions. Like the original post...it's just an idea. A jug of Garlon cost a few hundred dollars. Granted he won't use very much of the bottle, but he's already talking about digging up the whole area, and thus putting labor dollars into it, so my thinking is that since you are already digging up the area lay down a 1/2 yard of concrete over it and be done with it.

Your popcorn thing is like Blueridge mark statement up there...it doesnt add to the subject. Not saying you don't know about the subject but like him you are not contributing. He didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about and yet he tried to stir up drama. If he knew anything about the subject, he would know that cities already use a rover/robot to explore the pipelines everyday. The rovors already have cameras, misc attachements, and drag along a power source/retrieving cable....so I was just thinking about adding a electrical device to zap the roots. It's not building a brand new robot. The only thing he knows is asplundh work. Not taking away from that...but he was hardly qaulified to comment on this subject. And apparantly he never figured out why powerlines are high volt/low amp or he would of grasped what I was saying in regards towards high amp/low volt attachement.

Sometimes you guys have some great insight and then sometimes you guys don't know jack about a subject and yet still add your little snide comments which is why I've been off this website for the last couple years. I come back on for one seemingly little insignificant comment and here comes the smartass icons and statements. I guess I'll leave again for a few more years because frankly, while I've learned a few things on this site, I've learned a lot more just be doing my own thing and doing other aspects of tree work aside from residential and utitlity.

WOW! Me using the popcorn guy is that I am watching this thread. But then again you know it all, cool guy.

Anybody have any experience with using copper sulphate to kill roots growing in a sewer line?

If so,
How much did you use per application?
How many applications did you apply?
Was there any long lasting negative impact on the surrounding trees?

Thanks.
The best source of information on how to apply copper sulfate correctly is at coppersulfatecrystals.com

Latest posts

Back