Cord Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
palmersfirewood

Yup!

You can buy them books and send them to school, but there still going masticate the bindings !

It's been warm for a spell here, but a reasent cold snap and again a ton of calls for firewood,,,,,,,, 190 a cord , 100 half and 75 a face and 60 for a quarter cord in the Denver area.
Kevin

TreeCo said:
By the cord or by the pound here in Georgia.

Everyone is pointing out the cord as the legal measurement for sale like you can't sell less than a cord.

It's legal and ethical to sell fractions of a cord too like 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, etc.

Yep. Just like it's ethical and legal to sell by a half gallon, half pound, or any other legal unit of measure. The reason is that the definition of "half" or "1/4" is not exactly a matter of opinion. It's not subject to regional differences, and it's not open to discussion. It's not "Well, that's what my grandpappy called a half." and it's not "I've been selling it this way for 20 years!"

A face cord is not any legally valid unit of measure. A half cord or a third cord is.

If someone says, "Well, a face cord is 1/3 of a cord.", the answer is, "Sometimes. Sometimes not."

Im in Rochester NY and everyone sells it by facecords,going rate is bewteen $65 and $80 per face cord, and usually you can get a $5 per face dicount if you buy 4 or more at a time

Wood Monger said:
Ray,
Thats about 150.00 / cord. Seems to be the going price in WI. Nobody's going to get rich at these prices. I cut firewood just so I can run my chain saws.
We sold out of our wood here in Milwaukee at $90 for a face (1/3) cord, $135 for a half cord, and $235 for a full cord with delivery. Outside of the area, we tack on more for travel time, something most customers readily accept. If they had their thinking caps on, though, they should find someone in the woods to buy the cord for less and still come out ahead after travel.

Looking around, I've found people who would be willing to drive truckloads of their firewood down here for less than our cost of storing and splitting, something the garden centers around here have been doing for years. As a tree company, though, there's a significant benefit in not having to pay for the disposal of the wood.

I'm in Downeast Maine and our prices are similar (for processed) too what you posted in Milwaukee, Nick. I will say that before this year, full cords could be had in the $150 range, but we took a good hike this winter. $180-$200+ was more the going rate. People who like too process can buy 8's or tree length for $95-$90 a cord (3 min).

Zee

my partner bought a wood splitter for his own needs. Then he started to get asked " Are you selling firewood?". He then started what he thought was a fair price for it. He would deliver, but not stack, a tandem axle dump truck load and it was stacked in the bed not thrown. He was asking for 450.00. Some people thought that was too much cause Earl down the street was selling a T-plate dump load thrown in for 60.00. The bed was 18'x8'x4' sides.

Zodiac45 said:
I'm in Downeast Maine and our prices are similar (for processed) too what you posted in Milwaukee, Nick.
It's prolly cuz we're both in more populated areas but not far from the woods!

cord

i sell a cord of wood in the central interior of b.c. for $120-$150 pine/fir just rounds unsplit. When i'm done my day of falling it takes me about 1 hr to cut and load a cord sometimes a little longer then i take it to the customers house , it's a nice little bonus at the end of the day, I don't split it because i'm usually to tired and it's dark. nobody complains i put alot on if anything probably more than a cord.

Here is a bit from the Georgia Department of Agraculture:

by law, terms such as face cord, rack, pile, truckload, etc., cannot be used to advertise firewood. Advertisers must use the standard unit of measure, the cord, when specifying the amount of firewood for sale.

The face cord, rick, etc mean whatever the seller wants them to mean.

Hal

Hal, any idea how much money the Aggies burn up every year with their bonfire?

Are they still doing it since they squished some students back a few years?

Back