Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed wandering around Makita has a 7 1/4 inch circular that uses two of these batteries. Two that add up to 36 volts if they are in series. I am kind of committed to Milwaukee and Husqvarna at this point.
Same as the chainsaw (about 6 posts up, and in an earlier top handled chainsaw). The battery platform is so critical to contractors who are heavily invested in these common, interchangeable batteries and chargers. Not so much for someone specifically investing in a cordless O*P*E line (e.g. their chainsaw batteries do not have to be compatible with their cordless drill, but should also run their string trimmer, pole saw, etc.).

Still, the future seems to be leading to higher voltage (80V, 120V, etc.) and higher capacity (6Ah+) batteries.

Very interesting as a consumer / observer.

Philbert

I see in the catalog for that Makita circular saw speed 0-4800rpm that would be a first for me a variable speed circular saw. Not all these things are brushless. The electric brake feature generally makes a pretty big spark inside the tool, guess that is for corded as well. I see 36 volts in the title and 18 volts in the specs. Find it yourself. I get all kinds of advertising from links posted on these forums.

One thing I read in a german forum from a german Stihl dealer is that Stihl certifies their chainsaw for "rain use", while other manufacturers are supposed not to.

Could not easily find Amp-hour ratings for the AI and AK series batteries

AI series:
BGA 45: 18 Volt, 5 cell, 2.5 amp, 45 Wh
FSA 45: 18 Volt, 5 cell, 2 amp, 36 Wh
HSA 45: 18 Volt, 5 cell, 2 amp, 36 Wh

AK series:
BGA 56: 36 Volt & 2.8 amp, 100 Wh with AK 20 battery
FSA 56: 36 Volt & 1.4 amp, 50Wh with AK 10 battery
HSA 56: 36 Volt & 1.4 amp, 50 Wh, AK 10 battery
MSA 120 C: 36 Volt & 2.8 amp, 100 Wh with AK 20 battery

Batteries:
AK 10: 36 Volt, 1.4 amp hr., 50 Wh
AK 20: 36 Volt, 2.8 amp hr., 100 Wh

What's the verdict on the echo 58v saw? Home Depot has refurbished ones on sale for 200 bucks with a battery which looks pretty tempting. I did see it getting poor reviews when it first came out though which is why I'm asking y'all.

Not Sure if This Counts . . . .

(it IS battery powered O*P*E!!)
IMG_6187.jpg
Ryobi RM480e 38 in. Battery Electric Riding Lawn Mower

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-RM480e-38-in-Battery-Electric-Riding-Lawn-Mower-RY48110/300246266

"Powered by 75Ah Batteries and with 2 hours of run time this mower is a green alternative to traditional gas riding mowers. The Ryobi 48-Volt Riding Mower comes equipped with 38 in. 2-Blade Deck and 12 Position Manual Deck Adjustment to get a clean, level cut on your lawn . . . LED Headlights, USB Phone Charger and Cruise Control features making mowing as efficient and convenient as possible. . . .Charges through standard 120-Volt outlet"

Philbert

Looking at all the choices where that battery riding mower might fit it seems that this site is configured in a way to minimize lawn mower discussion. It certainly isn't a chainsaw. I looked at the pictures and watched the little video and could not tell if it has a hole to pull the trailers that go with that size riding mower. A good portion of folks on here probably put firewood in a trailer like that. Quite minimal ground impact, at least on the wider tired trailers. It takes a 42 inch deck to make it through a 4 foot chain link fence gate so it is not much smaller than that.

Sumthin' I Saw While Picking Up A Free Tape Measure . . .

HF 40V Saw.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/40v-lithium-14-in-cordless-chain-saw-63287.html

"The 14 in. electric chain saw is better than gas for most yardwork and landscaping uses. The powerful brushless motor runs quiet and starts instantly. No more mixing gas and oil, this powerhouse runs on the exclusive Lynxx 40V lithium-ion battery system. Ideal for pruning, limbing, and cutting fallen branches this high power cordless saw has an oversize comfort grip and low-kickback design for safety.
  • Quiet-running, instant power
  • Automatic chain oiler
  • Cut branches up to 14 in. diameter
  • Perfect for limbing and pruning
  • Low kickback design"
  • 2.5 Ah battery
  • 60 minute quick charger
  • Oregon bar and chain
Part of a whole new family of 40V O*P*E at Harbor Freight

Philbert

And the beat goes on . . .

Husqvarna 120.jpg
Looks like Husqvarna launched a homeowner line of cordless O*P*E. Saw this at Lowe's (minus battery and charger).

I like that these use the same batteries as their 'Pro' cordless tools - keeps things simpler than having 3 different, non-compatible options (as STIHL has done with their different lines).

For more info: http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/battery/

Philbert

Also . . .

Looks like Oregon is releasing their LM300, 40V lawn mower this year in the US - it was listed on some European websites last year.

http://oregoncordless.com/product/lawnmower-lm300/

Interesting that they show options for buying it as a 'bare tool' (no battery), or with their 4.0Ah battery pack, but not with their new 6.0Ah battery pack. Guess that they don't want you to have too much fun?

Philbert

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-RM480e-38-in-Battery-Electric-Riding-Lawn-Mower-RY48110/300246266

"Powered by 75Ah Batteries and with 2 hours of run time this mower is a green alternative to traditional gas riding mowers. The Ryobi 48-Volt Riding Mower comes equipped with 38 in. 2-Blade Deck and 12 Position Manual Deck Adjustment to get a clean, level cut on your lawn . . . LED Headlights, USB Phone Charger and Cruise Control features making mowing as efficient and convenient as possible. . . .Charges through standard 120-Volt outlet"
Philbert

That's interesting, I wonder how the drive mechanism works? It looks like there's a rear axle/differential that must be hooked directly to an electric motor. Or it might be a belt-driven hydrostatic transmission instead? I'm going to see if I can find a parts list anywhere online.

So I found a good pic of the drive train on this Ryobi mower. It's very similar to a golf cart - no hydraulics involved. Should be very reliable as long as the batteries hold out, and you don't overwork it (really tall grass, pulling heavy leads, etc.) It probably has a lot of control circuitry in the motor controller to prevent damage in case someone tries to hook up a plow or mow through a corn field. It uses four lead-acid batteries (no lithium). I hope they catch on, so I can pick up a used one in a couple years to play with.
ryobi-electric-riding-lawnmower-motors-1024x548.png

I'm looking for a cordless saw to limb and top some tall trees in my yard so I can rope and drop the trunks myself. I would use a climbing tree stand and safety harness or 2. I like the idea of not having to crank a small gas saw and the instant on/off. The most dia. would be about 12" or so and most cuts less than that. Any recommendations besides not using the tree stand?

Latest posts

Back