Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TORO

Hard to keep up - their world headquarters is 11 miles from my house, but I 'tripped' over this on HomeDepot.com. They had been mentioning this for a few years, as part of their large lawn and garden equipment offerings;
https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/yard-tools/40v-14inch-chainsaw-51880

Screen shot 2017-06-10 at 11.02.30 AM.png
Has a feature that I have secretly wanted for some time: ability to charge my cell phone!!!

Screen shot 2017-06-10 at 11.04.05 AM.png

Philbert

TORO

Hard to keep up - their world headquarters is 11 miles from my house, but I 'tripped' over this on HomeDepot.com. ....................

Philbert

I followed your link and actually found the parts sheet with clickable items. Was curious how much a sprocket cost, the sprocket and all other parts say this

"This item is not available for sale online. Please contact your local participating Toro Dealer."

"This item is not available for sale online. Please contact your local participating Toro Dealer."
Toro generally supports a strong dealer network. They do sell some products through stores like Home Depot, and allow on-line sales of some products. I see lots of Toro OEM parts sold on-line, so I assume that this is also allowed, but they do not sell consumer products or parts direct as far as I know.

I also assume that if you have a genuine Toro part number, you could contact any local or on-line Toro dealer and they could look it up for you. Since these saws are so new, I doubt that they would have any in stock, and you may have to 'educate' them a bit!

Philbert

I read at least the portion pertaining to lithium ion cells from the link above. Got to wondering if the 40 volt devices are really 36 volt devices just a bit different way of representing the same thing as voltages according to that go down as they discharge.

I took my Husky battery cover off and got my meter which seems to have a few dead spots. I could not get any readings past 12 or so, perhaps for a fraction of a second before it held steady and that was rare. I did manage to get a high reading and actually photograph it with the tool running full speed. Never got quite 40 and the picture I did get after darkening it a bit shows 39.9.

This battery sure appears to have 16 cells. Kind of amazing how clean it was inside as the chainsaw (unlike the pole pruner and string trimmer) blows air through it if the chain is moving. How many cells are in your 40 volt Oregon stuff? The article states 3.7 volts per cell and this does not make a lot of sense to me at the moment.hq.battery.hooked.up.to.meter.JPG 11.1volts.JPG 39.4volts.JPG

Those little pellets are gypsy moth caterpillar turds and the tailgate was put down about dusk yesterday evening, it is not noon yet.

I would guess that is a 12 gauge wire heading to the main connection of the tool.

What is missing from that link is how the cells degrade with cycles or time or storage at various temperatures.

I took my Husky battery cover . . . This battery sure appears to have 16 cells. . .
*I don't take my batteries apart, and don't encourage others to do this, since Lithium has this nasty habit . . .*

I know that there are several YouTube videos of folks dissecting various battery packs that you can watch.

10 * 3.6 = 36 volts, so I assume that a 36v battery has 10 cells (might reach 40v nominal); a 58v battery has 15 cells; an '80v' (really 72v?) has 20 cells; 120V has 30+/- . . . ?

Philbert

I have not wandered around all the sections of that website you linked to but my Husky battery certainly has four cells in a row on each end and sure looks like four shall we call them columns. You can see the connecters I figure there is a set of connecters under insulating tape at the springs. You may have figured it out though just one cell in the central two columns. And the void is packed full of chips filtering the air explaining why it is so clean inside. :laugh:

I took the cover off I did not take the battery apart.

I saw a Snapper cordless chainsaw at Wally the other day. Pretty flimsy looking. Did I say that I am SOOOO happy with my Stihl ??

I ran my MSA120 all the way down to the low V warning today. About 3/4 way through the morning I remembered I hadn't checked the bar oil and it looked dry so I stopped and filled the reservoir and dribbled some lube on the chain/bar rubbing surfaces and spread it around. I also sharpened the chain for the first time. I use a Dremel tool and Dremel's chainsaw sharpening kit. The smallest stone they make is a tiny bit too large in dia but worked just fine especially since the one that was mounted in my tool was a bit worn.

Haven't read the last few pages so excuse me if this has been noted, but the Green Works 80v is on sale at Walmart for just under $180 ($115 discount at in store checkout) and on Amazon for just over $180 (for Prime members).

Not seeing those prices over here - but I am not a Prime member. Their 40V saws are heavily discounted though.

Good deals for the right users!

A sign of new or updated products out soon?

Philbert

Not a chainsaw, and only 20 volts, but this looks like a handy item, assuming that it is well made:

Screen shot 2017-07-01 at 2.46.49 PM.png

Could be useful when you don't have a (pressurized) garden hose, or access to a full sized pressure washer. About $120. Lots more info on YouTube.

Philbert

Oregon 40V Multi-Attachment System

Available in Europe. I like the angled hedge trimmer and extendable pole saw. Also, that it uses the same system batteries.

Philbert

It uses a powerhead and attachments presumably with a drive shaft. Having the electric motor on the end and the battery on the other end has a different balance which may or may not be desirable. There are similar devices with a gasoline powerhead and different attachments not sure their advertising in the sound track is really appropriate about not having to have multiple gasoline engines. Having a reverse choice on the string trimmer like the top of the line Husky one is something gasoline options do not have at least at this time.

Update: Oregon says that this 'PS600' system is now available in the US, even though it is not shown on the US website yet.

Having the electric motor on the end and the battery on the other end has a different balance which may or may not be desirable.
Tool balance is important: something that the tool designers have to 'balance', with the weight of the battery, battery port, motor, shaft, and cutting tool / head.

On a purpose built tool, they can choose to adjust the balance based on the intended use. Professionals may prefer purpose built tools for that reason, as well as letting multiple employees work at the same time.

Individuals and casual users usually like the cost savings of a multi-tool, as well as being easier to store and transport than several full sized tools.

I have not seen these in person, but they do appear to have a shaft drive from the video. I think that the blade for the brush cutter is reversible, to provide more cutting edges before sharpening or replacement, not the motor. If the motor was reversible, then the pole saw could also run backwards (an interesting idea!).

The video also mentions a 1/4 pitch chain on this pole saw; the Oregon PS250 uses narrow kerf, low profile chain (Type 90).

Key thing is that this new system integrates with their family of 40V batteries, chargers, and other tools that folks have bought into, and suggests that it will be supported for some time.

Philbert

Excerpt from a larger Oregon Cordless publication (below) that shows an edger attachment instead of the brush cutter. Not sure if this is a difference with the European offerings, a change, or maybe both will be offered? Anyway, it gives some idea on pricing (system pricing with batteries and chargers in larger PDF file).

Screen shot 2017-08-10 at 10.55.33 PM.png
Screen shot 2017-08-10 at 10.54.55 PM.png

Philbert

https://oregoncordless.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/CTS-Brochure_NA_2017.pdf

Latest posts

Back