Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might Have to Change the Name of This Thread

"Have you registered for the GIE+EXPO yet? We'll be at booth #3182 showcasing our newest 120V Battery Series. The series is quiet, gas-free and engineered for true commercial-grade power." (Oregon Products FaceBook page)
Screen shot 2017-10-11 at 3.06.08 PM.png

I have no info, but it looks like a backpack blower and a backpack battery powered tool in the photo.

Philbert

I've used my Stihl several times over the past few months and am still very happy with it. I had a LOT of limbs come down via Irma plus a huge 69"+ circumference poplar and have been using the Stihl where it's applicable.

Kind of how I test stuff in my backyard. Except, I don't wear the white lab coats: grass stains are hard to get out, and it might freak out the neighbors (more).

Seriously, I was hoping to see dynamometers, test fixtures, instrumentation, etc. in this video.

Philbert

Would love to hear some more performance and battery life reports for the rear handle Husky 536. Thx.
About 1.5 square feet per minute in oak and 2.0 square feet a minute in pine. Cross cut in large section or cant. I think I was able to drain the battery in 800 seconds even that was not as continuous as one could go on purpose. 4.2ah battery BL150 or something like that. I kind of doubt the energy in the battery equates to 2 fluid ounces of gasoline's capacity burned in a two cycle engine. I think I did a report, from memory something like 60% would be the gas saw time. That is with the same chain. It actually went fastest with Stihl Ps and Stihl 1/4 Rm13 not the thin (.043) picco 3/8lp at least in cant type testing. Can not force it like gas saw it trips a breaker and have to let go and depress again.

Battery Reminder

Li-Ion batteries hold a charge for a long time, but if you are not going to use your battery O*P*E over the winter, and don't use the batteries for other tools, it would be a good time to give them a top off charge now.

Also, the instruction manuals that come with some batteries advise against charging frozen batteries, so let them warm up if they have been stored outside in freezing temps.

Philbert

Kobalt, Greenworks, Snapper Chainsaw Recall:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/C...zard-Distributed-by-Hongkong-Sun-Rise-Trading

"The chain brake guard in the cordless electric chainsaw can fail and allow the chainsaw to continue operating, posing an injury hazard to users.

This recall involves Greenworks, Kobalt and Snapper brands of cordless electric chainsaws. The recalled chainsaws have a 16 or 18-inch saw and an 80 or 82-volt lithium ion battery. “GreenworksPro,” “Greenworks Commercial,” “Kobalt,” or “Snapper” is printed on the saw blade. The model number and item number (if applicable) are printed at the top of the warning label underneath the chainsaw
switch"

Philbert

Linking a new thread posted by @TreesFall on a new ECHO DCS-1600 cordless saw:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-dcs-1600.318696/

Screen shot 2018-03-02 at 10.23.02 PM.png

ECHO news Release:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-dcs-1600.318696/

50V.

Not sure if this will be sold in the US. The Current ECHO cordless O*P*E are essentially a Home Depot exclusive, and listed as 58V. Not sure if the batteries are compatible, as sometimes they are listed differently in different countries (e.g. Oregon is listed as 40V in US and 36V in Europe).

Philbert

That's a problem with corded electric chainsaws too - they don't run out of fuel to remind you to check the bar oil!

Can only speak to the Greenworks 40V but it has a translucent window clearly showing oil level. From experience 2 battery charges and the oil tank needs a refill. Also, the sprocket cover needs removing for the massive accumulation of oily chips.

EEEAAF0_C_B858_4_B02_8_E61_7_EF792766_CDB.jpg

Just got this Milwaukee cordless saw today. I saw a few very positive reviews on it and thought I’d give it a try. I don’t understand it, but this 18v saw has more power than any 36v, 40v or50v saw I’ve owned...and I’ve had a lot of them. I only had a chance to make a few cuts but it seems promising.

No. Seems to have both lots of torque and speed. I made a few cuts thrown go some very dry hard 12” walnut logs, and it zipped right through. I had to pick one up. I saw a guy review it that also has the Dewalt 40v...and he said it had more power than the Dewalt. I also had 2 Dewalt 40v saws at different times. ..I loved them, tons of power and runtime. But the oilers failed on both of them after about 5 hours of use. I’m hoping this Milwaukee is durable.

Yes. In Europe the Oregon products are marketed as 36 Volts.

Philbert
Black and Decker plays that same game but not crossing country lines.....40 volts, 36 volts...all the same. The 40 volt tool seems to have "36" in it's model number.

Black and Decker plays that same game but not crossing country lines.....40 volts, 36 volts...all the same. The 40 volt tool seems to have "36" in it's model number.
I just measured the voltage of my Stihl batt and it has 39.4. It's been at least a month since it was charged and probably has 10 mins of use on small stuff up to maybe 2" dia. Still showing 4 bars on the charge indicator.

ETA, the next time I charge it I will check it at full discharge and just off the charger.

I've used my Stihl several times over the past few months and am still very happy with it. I had a LOT of limbs come down via Irma plus a huge 69"+ circumference poplar and have been using the Stihl where it's applicable.

Where do you consider it inappropriate?
Does it replace a gas saw?

Back