Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a chance to look at some newer STIHL battery stuff today at a dealer's open house.

IMG_3171.JPG IMG_3172.JPG

Some battery packs that hang on the belt (or in a backpack) that connect AP batteries with a cable and an adapter to their PRO line products, and directly to some heavier duty products: string trimmers and their KM multi-tool accessory line.

This stuff just keeps getting better!

Philbert

'Inside' look at an Oregon 120V Battery Pack
Equals 33 (?) 3.6V battery cells?
Screen shot 2019-05-17 at 12.59.44 PM.png

Also, big discount available for commercial landscapers, non-profits, schools, etc. in S. California (see PDF)

Philbert

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-17_13-4-42.png
    upload_2019-5-17_13-4-42.png
    422.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 120v-scaqmd-programflyer (1).pdf
    249.4 KB · Views: 3
Battery Life Expectancy

This came up in another forum, so I raised this question with an Oregon representative, and this was his reply (edited for length and clarity):

'Our Lithium Ion batteries have a life expectancy of up to 1,000 recharges, which is likely more than 10 years for homeowner use.

You can get the best life expectancy if you store the batteries in optimal condition (ambient temperature, 20°C / 68°F). Leaving the batteries for long periods in too cold or too hot temperatures will degrade the cells and shorten their life.

Using the batteries with more powerful tools at their full power (e.g in 'turbo mode') will shorten the number of recharge cycles. Assuming that you use your batteries with a variety of tools, it’s fair to say up to 1,000 recharges.

Life expectancy depends as well of the type of cells you put in the batteries. If you put cheap cells, you may get half, or even fewer, recharge cycles. For our Oregon batteries, we only source cells from the top tier manufacturers (Sony, LG, Samsung, Panasonic).'

Philbert

I used my Stihl MSA120c today to trim the top out of a large hedge plant. I had used it earlier in the week on some 2 to 3" limbs hanging over my drive. This is my favorite saw for anything up to 6 or maybe at a stretch, 8" dia. The guy across the street used this saw for some limbing and really liked it. Then he went out and bought the Makita 18+18 saw because it came with a grinder. It's not nearly the saw the Stihl is and he is regretting the purchase.

I used my Stihl MSA120c today to trim the top out of a large hedge plant. I had used it earlier in the week on some 2 to 3" limbs hanging over my drive. This is my favorite saw for anything up to 6 or maybe at a stretch, 8" dia. The guy across the street used this saw for some limbing and really liked it. Then he went out and bought the Makita 18+18 saw because it came with a grinder. It's not nearly the saw the Stihl is and he is regretting the purchase.
Wow, I say that because I like my 18 + 18 volt Makita.

Preferences are often personal.

I appreciate folks sharing their honest opinions in these forums, even if they don't agree, or even if I disagree with them.

That's why there are 2 kinds of peanut butter, 2 kinds of music, etc.

Philbert

The thing with cordless tools is that they’re not really a mature technology yet. The tools of today are significantly better than those of just 5 years ago. My Stihl 066 isn’t really that much different than an MS661. Even older 70’s and 80’s era gas saws were still pretty decent. Cordless tools on the other hand are destined for obsolescence much sooner. I’ve got a nice 18v nicad DeWalt drill that’s probably only worth about $25. Back in the day it was $200+.

To some extent they’re the kind of tools you want to buy cheap, work hard and wear out.

I'm staying with makita because they seem committed to the same battery format across the line. The same two packs run my drill, driver, circ saw, chainsaw, grinder blower and weed eater. I like some of the other brands individual tools better, but it's not worth the cost of new batteries and chargers for me.

I'm staying with makita because they seem committed to the same battery format across the line. The same two packs run my drill, driver, circ saw, chainsaw, grinder blower and weed eater. I like some of the other brands individual tools better, but it's not worth the cost of new batteries and chargers for me.
Same here.

t. Cordless tools on the other hand are destined for obsolescence much sooner. I’ve got a nice 18v nicad DeWalt drill that’s probably only worth about $25. Back in the day it was $200+.

To some extent they’re the kind of tools you want to buy cheap, work hard and wear out.

I bought the Milwaukee 18V chainsaw when it was on a $299 'special purchase' deal that included an extra 12AH battery. Then I lucked into a one of the 1/2" drill & 6mm hex impact packages in well used condition with no batt or charger for $20!! $10 each ! 5 miles from the house ! They are beat up but work perfect. I may eventually buy more M18 yard tools when I see them cheap but the thing against them is they are HEAVY ! Heavy is bad when your neck , shoulders and back have seen better days. What's ironic is that I have used the Milwaukee chainsaw to cut down and clean up one tree but I have used the drill and impact quite a lot .

I have B&D 18V nicad tools of every description. I have a B&D 20v lithium 'cordless broom' blower that is very light and does ok for me. I have B&D 20v sanders. The cool thing I have is Ebay adaptors that let me use the B&D 20v batts in the 18v tools. I also made some adaptors that allow me to use the B&D 20v batts in other brands. This is the key to maximum usage.
You just have to monitor the batt condition yourself and STOP using the batt the second the rpm drops below full boogie.

I have a Milwaukee 12v NiCad 3/8" square drive impact from the 90s when I was doing dirt bike and ATV repair. You can buy batts off Ebay cheap and I made my own adaptor to use the B&D 20v.

I have a Milwaukee M12 lithium 3/8" square drive ratchet.

I have a Ryobi 18v One+ 1/2" square drive impact. Very stout on setting 3 , strong on setting 2 and equal to the somewhat weak 12v NiCad impact mentioned above. This tool has been the surprise of the whole lot. More power than my 120V late 70s American made 1/2" impact that it replaced. The other 2 settings make this tool usable in a lot more situations without worry of breaking things off.

So yes I hear you about only having one batt family to keep up with but you will be making a lot of compromises [ that you may not even be aware of :) ]. I like having the ideal tool for the job. Keeping up with multiple batts and chargers isn't that big a deal to me. There have been times during fab projects that I have had 5 or 6 or more drills, impacts, saws, etc spread around the work area. No changing bits or sockets :)

I have a Milwaukee m18 chainsaw that I bought to notch poles building pole barns. I have around three dozen batteries 6 of which are 12aph and a ton of m18 fuel tools so I figured why not. Well iv had it about a year and my wife uses it more around the house than I do at work. It works awesome I just can’t not use my 200t

I have a Milwaukee m18 chainsaw that I bought to notch poles building pole barns. I have around three dozen batteries 6 of which are 12aph and a ton of m18 fuel tools so I figured why not. Well iv had it about a year and my wife uses it more around the house than I do at work. It works awesome I just can’t not use my 200t
I’ve got M18 stuff too and really depend on it for work.
That said... There is very little satisfaction using a cordless chainsaw!
The m18 offering works great but... chainsaws were never corded.
Getting rid of a cord that was never there ?? Well, what else can you say.

I still can appreciate these saws for situational use.
The new gen. batteries and brushless motors have opened “it” up that for sure.

There is very little satisfaction using a cordless chainsaw!

The convenience factor is hard to beat. Try one out: buy it at a place like The Home Depot where you can return it if you don't like it.

The m18 offering works great but... chainsaws were never corded.
Getting rid of a cord that was never there ?? Well, what else can you say.

Actually, the first STIHL chainsaws were corded electric !

Philbert

The convenience factor is hard to beat. Try one out: buy it at a place like The Home Depot where you can return it if you don't like it.

Actually, the first STIHL chainsaws were corded electric !

Philbert

I’ve have used and Agree... very handy.
The m18 polesaw I own and the 16” chainsaw I’ve used to fall and buck a few alders.
The polesaw is a primary tool around here and has been a strong contributor.
Super impressive but still somehow does not match the feeling of the power of a well tuned motorsaw!

Latest posts

Back