Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Videos that I've seen show the pro model Husqvarna as capable but by the time the battery and charger get added to the saw invoice a bank loan is needed to buy one. Can they possibly be selling many?

Couple of things:

Yeah, some quality tools can be expensive, compared to others. But at a Pro level, costs must be balanced against benefits.

Additional cost gets spread across many jobs, and gets written off as a business expense.

And. in some places, especially Europe, there are incentives to use electric and battery powered equipment. Including noise laws.

Philbert

The convenience factor is hard to beat. Try one out: buy it at a place like The Home Depot where you can return it if you don't like it.

One can get virtually any Makita product via the Home Depot website, hardly any Makita stuff in the brick and mortar places. Not sure how that relates to returning if not pleased. BTW there are at least two 18+18 Makita chainsaws, the one in the grinder package is not the rear handle direct drive model.

One can get virtually any Makita product via the Home Depot website, hardly any Makita stuff in the brick and mortar places. Not sure how that relates to returning if not pleased. BTW there are at least two 18+18 Makita chainsaws, the one in the grinder package is not the rear handle direct drive model.
My neighbor bought the grinder package so his must be the other one.

My neighbor bought the grinder package so his must be the other one.
My apologies, Since I posted that I have seen the rear handle direct drive xcu03 in a grinder package. I would search for a four battery package. not a two tool and two battery. The xcu02 is the dual battery top handle which is pretty awkward to use in my opinion. Not sure what all I posted in this thread. The rear handle direct drive one I like but eventually the turning itself off will likely lead to taping the operator present lever in. After a while of having it shut off after a few seconds I ended up keeping the operator present lever held in which isn't too safe. I figured taping it was better. It still times out pretty much like the Husqvarna one just the husky starts the clock from the last time the chain moved not when the operator present lever was released. When it gets to gloves turning it on many times a minute gets tired.

A friend and his uncle bought a top of the line Stihl cordless saw. Hella expensive, but it works very well and they have used it so much already it would probably have paid for itself by now if an arborist was using it.
So, you can justify the cost if it fits you're needs and you feel like you would get your use out of it.

I use my chainsaw infrequently enough for the carb to give me a headache, when I do need it.

My next saw will be from the same battery family (Kobalt 80v) as my mower and blower. Worth the reduction in maintenance issues, for my use.

I have that Kobalt 80v saw, easily my most used saw. Does 99% of the cutting around the property and a surprising amount of the firewood cutting. Bought it because I'm well invested in that battery and charger line already, and it took the same 3/8 low pro chain I already had a bunch of loops of. Very happy with it.

One of the biggest advantages for pro arborists is the fact that you can start much earlier in the morning on a removal than with a petrol saw. I see plenty of them in use in Urban areas and community type setups where a guy running a 200T at 7am may not be made to feel welcome.
Did anyone think that when the first cordless makita drills came out that they would make most corded drills obsolete eventually?
They were just seen as a novelty and a small handy drill that could be used on the space shuttle..

One of the biggest advantages for pro arborists is the fact that you can start much earlier in the morning on a removal than with a petrol saw. I see plenty of them in use in Urban areas and community type setups where a guy running a 200T at 7am may not be made to feel welcome.
Did anyone think that when the first cordless makita drills came out that they would make most corded drills obsolete eventually?
They were just seen as a novelty and a small handy drill that could be used on the space shuttle..
I had a Makita 7.2v drill in the early 80's

I had a Makita 7.2v drill in the early 80's
Some of those are still running!

I tried a Sears battery drill in the '80's and was not impressed; limited power and short run time. Cordless drills today are a different story. I have spoken to contractors who tell me that they don't even carry extension cords in their trucks any more. And when I go to tool / contractor shows, I am blown away to see table saws, air compressors, etc. run off of batteries. Of course, so are Teslas and Harley-Davidsons.

Makita has some small, battery powered chainsaws in the '80's and '90's, suitable for trimming work. The advent of the Lithium-ion batteries, brushless motors, and 36 Volt (+) platforms really changed things. I use battery powered lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, string trimmers, blowers, etc., along with chainsaws and pole saws. Have not tried the snow blowers yet. But the range of tools available is why I tell people to take the time and look at the whole battery platform (all the tools that accept the same batteries) before buying their first battery tool. The battery and charger can easily be over half the cost of the tool. Once you have a couple of compatible batteries, you can buy 'bare tools' at around half the cost, as well as share the batteries among the different tools.

Philbert

I have seen stuff on YouTube of commercial forestry operators here using the Husqvarna Battery saws for thinning work, they were very impressed with the run time.
Not alone that a very big benefit was the lack of fumes in very restricted areas with little or no air movement.
Under big palm tree canopies is another place where they are very good for the operator again because of no fumes.
Philbert is right, look at the battery platform and then go from there, if you work in residential areas there is a whole slew of battery 0PE available from trimmers to brushcutters and chainsaws.
Choosing the right platform might mean you are able to start and finish a lot earlier than you used to be able to do because of the silence.

I picked up the Kobalt 80v in July, and last week started using it. Very nice.

It comes with an 18” Oregon bar & chain, but I put a 14” on it for use in the tree, since I already had it.

The noise factor is definitely an advantage, and it’s nice to not need muffs to run it. Also nice to not have to fiddle with starting a saw in the tree.

Back