Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds pretty great! Thanks.

You are welcome. Just hold out for the next model with the motor upgrade and be sure to get the bigger battery option.

Now, how to replace batts when it is needed after a thousand charges, so it isn't painful. Every time you use it, throw some change in a coffee can. That's it. come to need replacement, you should have it, or be close enough it isn't a big deal.

Pretty cool to see the insides. But, . . .

***** I have to reiterate my warning about Lithium batteries *****

While most assembled battery packs are 'consumer safe', the internal cells, if damaged, can be dangerous. Part of the reason they restrict them in you airline luggage. I have worked with some companies that assemble Lithium batteries and work is all done in chemical hoods/glove box type type environments. While many common batteries contain acid, that can be harmful, Lithium batteries can be especially hazardous, including fire risks.

I don't encourage anyone to disassemble these battery packs.

Philbert

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lithium_ion_safety_concerns

http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/Files/R...ous materials/rflithiumionbatterieshazard.pdf

http://www.ul.com/global/documents/...ty Issues for Lithium-Ion Batteries_10-12.pdf

Picked up a Ryobi earlier today. Only cut with it for a few minutes......but WOW!!!
This thing rips!! I obviously can't say anything about durability at this point. ...and I'm sure runtime is gonna be short on the small capacity battery that is included in the kit.
....but $200 for everything!, that's just the price of a single stihl battery:)

I think I saw the higher capacity battery on HomeDepot website for $129....i didn't see them in the store. Do you know if the trimmer comes with the higher cap. battery?

I cut a few full slices of a 12" hemlock log. The saw didnt hesitate. I would say the cutting speed in this log is definitely faster than the stihl. I am definitely impressed...more than i expected for sure. But i cut for about 2 minutes total, and the battery meter/lights already said it was down to about 3/4 power. ....but maybe that's not accurate. Only time will tell.

Wow, faster than the MSA200, that's a little amazing. Tell us more when you get a chance! Which battery did it come with, the 1.5 Ah "slim pack"?

I cut a few full slices of a 12" hemlock log. The saw didnt hesitate. I would say the cutting speed in this log is definitely faster than the stihl. I am definitely impressed...more than i expected for sure. But i cut for about 2 minutes total, and the battery meter/lights already said it was down to about 3/4 power. ....but maybe that's not accurate. Only time will tell.

Similar with the oregon, larger diameter really made the batt go down fast. Keep to trim size, 2-4 inch, you get over a hundred cuts.

Wow, faster than the MSA200, that's a little amazing. Tell us more when you get a chance! Which battery did it come with, the 1.5 Ah "slim pack"?
I can't say for absolutely sure it's faster....it may be my imagination because its a bit louder and seems to run at quite a bit higher RPM's. But I'm almost positive it's cutting quicker than the MSA200. I'll have to time some cuts and maybe take some comparison videos. With the holidays here I'm not sure I'll get to immediately, but it'll be pretty soon. I'm really anxious to get some hours on this saw.
And yes, it came with the slim pack.

The LED lights are helpful in a general sense, but I don't think that they are super accurate. I have 'used' anywhere from 1 to 3 LEDs (out of 4) doing the same amount of work, and had 1 LED last for a really long time. I think that you would need laboratory controlled conditions to be sure.

Info from the HD and Ryobi websites show the 'Slim Line' (1.5 Amp hour) 40 volt battery for $99.99 and the 'High-Capacity' (2.4 Amp hours) one for $129.99. The MODEL: #RY40210A string trimmer, with a battery and charger is $149.99 (looks like the larger battery pack on the Ryobi website, but photos can be deceiving. Good thing to check).

Also noted that they have a '40 Volt Chainsaw' and a '40 Volt Brushless Chainsaw'. So people have to make sure they get the right saw and the right batteries!

https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/products/list/category/chain-saws

Philbert

*They even have a 'Jaw-Saw' type device for Zogger!

This is the higher capacity battery on the Home Depot website . . . I'll probably order one up in a few weeks if i determine that the saw is a keeper.

A second battery is very important, in my opinion, for these saws. Since you are typically not running the saw 100% of the time, the 'other' battery can be on the charger while you work. The higher capacity batteries are always more convenient, but good to have any kind for a back-up. Oregon is offering one of their lower capacity batteries free (until the end of the year?) with the purchase of some of their cordless tools - I would not turn it down.

Philbert

This is the higher capacity battery on the Home Depot website
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-40-V..._pip1_rr-6-_-NA-_-203161619-_-N&showPLP=false

I'll probably order one up in a few weeks if i determine that the saw is a keeper.

The ibatteries site I emailed haven't gotten back to me about the cell info, but it might very well be an option. If I hear from them I'll post. http://www.ibatterys.com/40v936whli...r-ryobi-op4026-p-33077.html?cPath=37460_46507 Generally Japanese cells, especially Panasonic, are going to be the best cells.

Pretty cool....so a refurbished pack may be higher quality than the original stock pack!....at a cheaper price. That may be the way to go if I buy a second battery

Picked up a Ryobi earlier today. Only cut with it for a few minutes......but WOW!!!
This thing rips!! I obviously can't say anything about durability at this point. ...and I'm sure runtime is gonna be short on the small capacity battery that is included in the kit.
....but $200 for everything!, that's just the price of a single stihl battery:)

Gee, it doesn't look like there's enough room for the toe of your boot in the rear handle when you jerk the cord to start it. . . oh, wait, never mind.

Back