Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted already.

Try to figure out the German, and click on the videos on the right hand side.
Looks pretty cool for trimming. Note the auxiliary belt pack for longer cutting (still could run out of bar oil while up in the tree).

Die neue STIHL Akku-Motorsäge MSA 160 C-BQ | STIHL

Philbert

attachment.php

Who is gonna be the first to mod this one?

What are you going to do - mount a capacitor on it for bursts of cutting power? Get some alligator clips and hook it up to line voltage when doing utility clearance?

OK - I was lazy - looks like they sell it in English also in the UK!

MSA 160 C-BQ - Innovative new cordless chain saw

Edit: The UK site does not have the cool videos that the German site does.

Philbert

Last edited:
What are you going to do - mount a capacitor on it for bursts of cutting power? Get some alligator clips and hook it up to line voltage when doing utility clearance?

OK - I was lazy - looks like they sell it in English also in the UK!

MSA 160 C-BQ - Innovative new cordless chain saw

Edit: The UK site does not have the cool videos that the German site does.

Philbert

You know. Dual batteries. Extra long power cord. Maybe nuke fuel cells. Who knows.:msp_rolleyes:

My good friend in Mississippi who owns a stihl dealership, tried one out when he was on a German Stihl trip last winter. He was pretty impressed with it and he thinks he is going to end up buying one for himself.

You know. Dual batteries. Extra long power cord.

Well . . . you could take 3 motorcycle batteries into the woods with you, or if you own a Toyota Prius . . . .
The ham radio guys are always doing creative things with power supplies and they might have fun with this.

Seriously, it would be interesting to hear if any tree guys find this useful as a climbing saw for light trimming. Quieter, no rope to pull, not a top handle, uses 1/4" chain, 4.9 kg (10.8#) with larger battery. I'll bet the ice carvers will love it.

$500 - $960 (converted to $US) depending upon the battery and charger - not inexpensive.

Philbert

Well . . . you could take 3 motorcycle batteries into the woods with you, or if you own a Toyota Prius . . . .
The ham radio guys are always doing creative things with power supplies and they might have fun with this.

Seriously, it would be interesting to hear if any tree guys find this useful as a climbing saw for light trimming. Quieter, no rope to pull, not a top handle, uses 1/4" chain, 4.9 kg (10.8#) with larger battery. I'll bet the ice carvers will love it.

$500 - $960 (converted to $US) depending upon the battery and charger - not inexpensive.

Philbert

500-960?? Ouch. That hurts.

The saw is part of a family of new tools, hedge trimmer and leaf blower. I had a look at the hedge trimmer and it was a substantial peice of gear. There is even a battery powered lawnmower !

The saw is part of a family of new tools, hedge trimmer and leaf blower. I had a look at the hedge trimmer and it was a substantial peice of gear. There is even a battery powered lawnmower !

yea but i like the 2cycle engine noise hehehe:msp_thumbsup:

I wonder about it's sideways balance and if they'll come out with a gear drive version. Seriously though, noise can be an issue in town and battery technology is improving.

Back