ArboristSite.com Sponsors

cordless pole pruner?

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by rmihalek, Nov 3, 2018.

1. rmihalek

rmihalek Where's the wood at?

I'd like to get a cordless pole pruner that can cut up to 1.5" fruit tree limbs, maybe 20V litihium ion or 36V i don't really care. The biggest thing is the reach. Ideally 8 foot reach. Anyone know who sells a tool like this?

2. ericm979

ericm979 ArboristSite Operative

3. Sebago Guide

Sebago Guide ArboristSite Lurker

I just bought the Oregon 40v electric pole pruner. Pretty powerful. Long reach. Still getting used to it. I think there are a few different battery ah choices. I’m not real jazzed about the length of time between charges on the one I got, and I have managed to spin the chain a few times. Cuts quite nice when I have it going.

4. RookieClimber

RookieClimber New Member

I have an Oregon also. $400 compared to the $900-1000 for a stihl or husky. That's with battery and charger for those.
    Charge lasts surprisingly long. I bought the bigger battery as it wasn't much more for a 4 instead of the 2.4... or they something close to that. Pruned for a couple hours and had half life yet. Great investment. Bought at husky dealer in sask. Canada

5. Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington ArboristSite Operative

I saw a 40v (I think) Ryobi at a pawn shop for a really good price. And for your use I would have bought it.
    It was nice and light, and sturdy enough. Extendable pole. Not sure how long but was at least 8 feet.
    It was $50, I think.

But I needed the longest reach possible and the ability to cut 6 or 8 or 10 inch limbs. So I got a 2-stroke with extra 4 foot extension.

I used a fiberglass manual operated pole saw with rope lopper for years and they work pretty well for smaller stuff. The lopper is particularly handy, and fast.

6. Treebark19

Treebark19 New Member

I've used the Oregon , pretty decent pruner.

7. rayjay257

rayjay257 ArboristSite Operative

Milwaukee is going to have two different M18 pole saws. One will be strictly a pole saw and the other will be part of a multi tool assortment. I have their M18 chainsaw and am happy with it so far.

8. Colt Marlington

Colt Marlington ArboristSite Operative

I didn't realize until this past weekend that my 58v 4ah Echo weedeater has a split shaft and will accept all the Echo PAS attachments, including the extension and pruner.
    And apparently you can use other brands of attachments on it if you sand them down to a slightly smaller diameter where they connect.
    But for some reason it's only UL listed for the string trimmer and the edger attachments.