Cords

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SlowP, and Northman what are you calling a “PNW Log Truck”?

Is it a Standard 5 axle (Steer, Tandem Drive, Tandem Trailer) with a reach trailer?

While I have never driven a LOG truck, I have been a truck driver for almost 32 years

The 70’s era trucks Northman mentioned, I remember as a standard 5 axle set up, yeah 90,000# gross would be easily doable but will take a toll on the equipment, especially on logging roads. If evenly distributed, that is only a touch over 550# per tire

150,000 gross on a5 axle, all kinds of things are going to be Breaking, and often, I don’t know how long the tires would handle that abuse, but add operating on logging roads, and truck and tires aren’t going to stand up to that Gross Abuse for long

I would enjoy watching a log driver kicking off a log or two, can’t imagine how they do it

I was hauling restaurant supplies from 1988-2002, and There was what we used to call the “produce stand” about MP 60, West Bound I-84, about 6 miles East of the Wyeth Scale, bulk produce trucks would use the pull out to run off some produce when they were overweight

We have gotten plenty of Apples, Potatoes, Watermelons, Onions (Walla Walla Sweets, great for Onion Rings) and Carrots

Doug

Yes I bought 3 1/2 acres from an Italian farmer growing Walla Walla Sweets. I remember the Onions in the summer as they stunk to high heavens.To this day I can smell a Walla Walla sweet a mile away and will not touch them. Thanks

As I remember the roads near Dale Oregon they were gentle. I can think back how loggers could get away with heavy loads because there were few hills and the dirt gravel roads were well maintained being not bumpy. I do not think that any one ever suggested any speed limit, but seeing truck putting around at no more than 10 or 15miles an hour was common. The short haul to the mills was an easy one. Near the 80's the only projects being offered were high lead work and few were interested in that because they were often lose lose projects. As I remember about 79 and 80 work was very skimpy which is when I moved to California. Thanks

3 rivers cutting, don't know them personally but I know where they park...

loading the trailer at Hampton/Summit timber Darrington wa

hard to say for sure, but looks like North Mountain road, maybe crossing over to crevice creek? Learned to drive a manual trans on this road...

the sky shot with the mountain that looks like Pres Lincoln laying down, you can see my parents house from there...

6:56 that would be White Horse Mountian... and ya thats my parents house at the bottom right... used to climb about 1/3 of that mountain for funnsies... though never been to the top.. the falls are way more fun

Note the size of that load around 11:30, dude mentions they are at 100000 pounds.... 70k of which is logs... now where the hell would you put 50k more?

pretty short turn around hampton to landing and back, N mountain road isn't exactly long, unless you cross over to Crevice creek... but looked like they where stayin on the south side, so like a 10-15 mile trip...

DNR has built a series of Mt bike trails up there in the last year or 2, its getting excellent reviews from the crazies that like that sort of thing

View attachment 811678
This. From a forester standpoint, this style of truck is better in the woods than the semi types used in the Midwest. The empty trucks piggyback the trailer and can turn around in tight spaces, back up, and the loader grabs the trailer lifts it off, truck pulls ahead, trailer is lowered and hooked up. Landings can be small. All that is required for a landing is swing room for the log, and enough space to keep folks safe. There is less land affected. This was on a downhill yarding setting. These guys were pretty good to work with and were familiar with what we wanted the end product to be.

They use the same type of setup here, they're up and down highway 168 April/May to November.

Except a couple years ago I saw a set of doubles (regular cargo flat beds) with home made log holders extending up the sides. When we came along he was trying to re couple the second trailer, he uncoupled because he couldn’t make a curve in the road. A local was helping him, and another local said he had already been there an hour. Doh! Logging trucks are the way they are for a reason, the roads they come out of are too narrow and with sharp turns. He was an immigrant, and probably taking any work he could get.

Doug have you seen the Marston trucks with 9 axles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeans, I “Kinda” saw one of those today on my way to work.

I was just West of Sandy,OR WB on US26, as I came up on a Log Truck it looked a bit strange, as I passed it, it turned out to be a 5 axle truck pulling a standard 2 axle bunk trailer

I was paying more attention to the axle arrangement, but it looked like Marston on the door, it was Black and I forgot to look at the make of the truck

I don’t recall seeing them in the Mt. Hood area before. That 5 axle truck with just a tandem trailer sure looked goofy ,I couldn’t help but think, that’s what Skeans was talking about, Sort of,

Doug

Skeans, I “Kinda” saw one of those today on my way to work.

I was just West of Sandy,OR WB on US26, as I came up on a Log Truck it looked a bit strange, as I passed it, it turned out to be a 5 axle truck pulling a standard 2 axle bunk trailer

I was paying more attention to the axle arrangement, but it looked like Marston on the door, it was Black and I forgot to look at the make of the truck

I don’t recall seeing them in the Mt. Hood area before. That 5 axle truck with just a tandem trailer sure looked goofy ,I couldn’t help but think, that’s what Skeans was talking about, Sort of,

Doug

That’s close and pretty common to see it allows the bunk to be closer to center on the drivers vs a single drop axle where it’s pushed forward. Marston isn’t too far from that area they’re out of Oregon City area from memory.

I have been seeing a Canadian style truck here abouts lately, older truck, but has those flip top stakes and the extra strange middle set of axles, the ones that are part of the trailer but float between the rear tandems and the trucks drivers, doesn't seem to have any more or less wood then any one else though

I have been seeing a Canadian style truck here abouts lately, older truck, but has those flip top stakes and the extra strange middle set of axles, the ones that are part of the trailer but float between the rear tandems and the trucks drivers, doesn't seem to have any more or less wood then any one else though

It’d depend on the bridge and how heavy the setup is from day one, we can haul more net then some of the guys with drop axles can because of our tare weight is so much lighter.

It’d depend on the bridge and how heavy the setup is from day one, we can haul more net then some of the guys with drop axles can because of our tare weight is so much lighter.

the straight truck I ran was only 26k with trailer, no drops

seen a couple trucks peeking well over 30k with loads of axles, but with bridge weights around here... I fail to see what it gains them in the end, unless they haul nothing but 40's it would be nearly pointless, just a whole lot more rubber and brakes to replace.

the single drop on my self loader pretty much makes up for the loader, but the loader is fairly light for what it is... so the truck gets a fair whack of logs compared to others

the straight truck I ran was only 26k with trailer, no drops

seen a couple trucks peeking well over 30k with loads of axles, but with bridge weights around here... I fail to see what it gains them in the end, unless they haul nothing but 40's it would be nearly pointless, just a whole lot more rubber and brakes to replace.

the single drop on my self loader pretty much makes up for the loader, but the loader is fairly light for what it is... so the truck gets a fair whack of logs compared to others

We’re running about 27 tons per load without the rack 25 tons with it. I’m not about up there but everywhere I send to requires a 34’ average minimum per load which you can bunk with a single drop or even with all the other axles too.

We’re running about 27 tons per load without the rack 25 tons with it. I’m not about up there but everywhere I send to requires a 34’ average minimum per load which you can bunk with a single drop or even with all the other axles too.

only a couple of the mills have that minimum average thing, even then its more of a guide line it seems, lots more short logs being hauled these days, whole lot of new mule trains running around.

only a couple of the mills have that minimum average thing, even then its more of a guide line it seems, lots more short logs being hauled these days, whole lot of new mule trains running around.

The SW Washington NW Oregon they will not accept a load if there’s too many short logs, up in the northern part of Washington the mills seem more relaxed about it. A few of the guys we know up there running CTL gear have said they’re starting to see the short log thing starting to tighten up. Some of those new mule trains are set up to have 26’s on the truck and 36’s on the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This pic is in Maine? Or internet picture?

Pic I found online. One of the Pelletier trucks on the Golden Rd (private road)

I don't have any pics myself, grew up in the 80s-90s before cell phone cameras, wide spread internet, etc and it was just a normal everyday thing so wasn't really something to take out the 110 camera for. Photos cost $$ to take@

Most of the exploring we did was on Irving land. They normally ran "road" trailers, so 10ft? wide, though still were loaded to the gills.

Irving at the time was SUPER restrictive about the public using their lands. Now keep in mind they owned hundreds of thousands of acres, so was tough to tell sometimes whose land it actually was.

I recall getting a few ass chewings by an Irving company men for being on their land on mtn bike.
These days, they relaxed those rules, partly due to pressure from the .Gov and they generally only restrict being in active logging areas, primarily for safety.

Back