Cords

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do think there were mills in Pendleton. There is, as far as I know one in Hermiston, or Umatilla as the last year I worked, I filled in on the eastside and they were hauling logs to a mill in one of those places that are in wheat country. As for weight? I dunno. I do know that one logger in the Randle area could put a heck of a lot of bd ft (according to the scale tickets) on his trucks. That was old growth DF from a creek bottom where the punkins grew, and his regular trucks were most likely overheight. We were amazed at the scale of some of his loads, and that was on tickets from "The Bureau". The Brainiac sale administrator who was seldom wrong, called the bureau to make sure there wasn't a mistake.

Once a year, the state weigh cops would come out and weigh trucks. There were no secret codes. The first few trucks to get stopped and ticketed would radio out in plain language and there were discussions starting out with, "How much did they get you for?" We would find logs kicked off in the woods on those days, and the ends sawn off so the brands would be gone. Most of us in sale admin could tell where the logs were from, we kind of had a feel for it, without the brands showing. I don't know how they got the logs off without injury, but they did.

On one weigh day, there were many trucks belonging to Fred Moe strung out between Randle and over Baby Shoe pass onto the Trout Lake district. They were parked, and waiting for the weigh cops to go away. The weigh cops were trying to wait them out. They finally went into the woods to weigh the trucks. They had a state patrol trooper along and they issued a lot of tickets that day..

The old logger always seemed to have been tipped off and he would not haul on the annual weigh day.

I was on a fire on the Umatilla. All I recall of Dale is that there were a few houses there. We were camped in Desolation Meadow ?? and in and out of the wilderness for two weeks doing some running away from that fire. It was in bug infested lodgepole and didn't know to obey fire behavior. It made a daily blowup around noon and would run downhill. As is the case, a heavy rain finally got it under control. Our FMO at home was steaming mad when they made him send crews out. The Randle area was dry and he'd fume about how our timber was worth a heck of a lot more than the eastside peckerpoles and he needed his folks at home just in case. We were never antsy to go away on fires, either. We made as much money on our own district making overtime burning and patrolling.

CB's with extra chanels?

wifes and girl friends roaming the highways like gypsies on the lookout for the fuzz...
Plenty of stretching going on there from what I hear too.
As far as the quote above;
Yes, not uncommon at all to have uppers and lowers on a CB, then you jump into a fullout ham radio and you add a lot more channels.

I've seen some of this too, pretty crazy the risks these guys take, and they screw everything up for everyone.
I've hauled a lot of steel(heavy loads 160 GVW on a normal day, I'm in MI), these guys where putting those kind of weights on a standard 80k setup, when you get paid by the load that can mess up a guys paycheck in a hurry and then no-one wants a load out of there. Sooner or later they get busted, unfortunately if they only get fined they would go right back at it as they had already weighed the cost and it wasn't bad enough to stop in the end :confused:.

so here's the deal, taking an 80k truck up to 90k is doable, easily too, and that puts almost another 1k bf on the truck. but its hard on the truck especially if it isn't specced out for it.

in fact over loading like a little is still common practice. though 10k over is extreme...

but 150k is literally 2 loads on one truck, and ****ing stupid,

the ticket is $1 per pound over weight with a minimum $110 fine.

being 70000# over and getting caught would ruin your business with just one ticket, simply not worth the risk

so here's the deal, taking an 80k truck up to 90k is doable, easily too, and that puts almost another 1k bf on the truck. but its hard on the truck especially if it isn't specced out for it.

in fact over loading like a little is still common practice. though 10k over is extreme...

being 70000# over and getting caught would ruin your business with just one ticket, simply not worth the risk
Fines are different here.
My last overweight ticket was $425, I was 18k over. It was a permit load and I was off the permit route(they changed it because of a new bridge, it was the same for 20yrs :rare2:. The worse thing about it is that the coil was only 48k, it easily could have been hauled on a standard 9' spread axle or even a tandem if someone was good at loading, I was pulling an 8 axle trailer and my net was 50k, so it put me 18k over my gross since I was out of route.

Must be the reason that after years of exile, I returned and all the log trucks looked......legal. No more over height loads. I noticed more weighing going on also upon my return. Fewer trucks, smaller logs, but more weighing by the cops. No more logs kicked off along the roads either.

so here's the deal, taking an 80k truck up to 90k is doable, easily too, and that puts almost another 1k bf on the truck. but its hard on the truck especially if it isn't specced out for it. in fact over loading like a little is still common practice. though 10k over is extreme... but 150k is literally 2 loads on one truck, and ****ing stupid, the ticket is $1 per pound over weight with a minimum $110 fine. being 70000# over and getting caught would ruin your business with just one ticket, simply not worth the risk

North your argument sounds reasonable and makes plenty of sense. However during the seventies the Umatilla area was booming with the logging industry. I lived in the middle of it at least for awhile and am glad I am not still there. Very few LE people were around and virtually no one had portable scales. The people were very close knit and looked out for each other. The largest mill that I am and was aware of is between Dale and Pendleton right on the 395. Yes it is still there just looking empty. I remember One time I was working with a guy who was contracting for San Bernardino County when I had only had my CDL for a few years. So I show up with my truck and he starts loading it and loading it and loading it. I am waving at him to stop and yelling stop. I tell him I am way over loaded and he says go for it. The CHP office is in route to where I have to go. I was very anxious about the whole thing knowing I was at least 10,000 to 15,000 lbs over weight. I did not get stopped and he made it a point to over load me every time. After a while I stopped being so worried about being over weight. However I quit hauling his logs made me feel a little easier. Thanks

SlowP, and Northman what are you calling a “PNW Log Truck”?

Is it a Standard 5 axle (Steer, Tandem Drive, Tandem Trailer) with a reach trailer?

While I have never driven a LOG truck, I have been a truck driver for almost 32 years

The 70’s era trucks Northman mentioned, I remember as a standard 5 axle set up, yeah 90,000# gross would be easily doable but will take a toll on the equipment, especially on logging roads. If evenly distributed, that is only a touch over 550# per tire

150,000 gross on a5 axle, all kinds of things are going to be Breaking, and often, I don’t know how long the tires would handle that abuse, but add operating on logging roads, and truck and tires aren’t going to stand up to that Gross Abuse for long

I would enjoy watching a log driver kicking off a log or two, can’t imagine how they do it

I was hauling restaurant supplies from 1988-2002, and There was what we used to call the “produce stand” about MP 60, West Bound I-84, about 6 miles East of the Wyeth Scale, bulk produce trucks would use the pull out to run off some produce when they were overweight

We have gotten plenty of Apples, Potatoes, Watermelons, Onions (Walla Walla Sweets, great for Onion Rings) and Carrots

Doug

SlowP, and Northman what are you calling a “PNW Log Truck”?

Is it a Standard 5 axle (Steer, Tandem Drive, Tandem Trailer) with a reach trailer?

While I have never driven a LOG truck, I have been a truck driver for almost 32 years

The 70’s era trucks Northman mentioned, I remember as a standard 5 axle set up, yeah 90,000# gross would be easily doable but will take a toll on the equipment, especially on logging roads. If evenly distributed, that is only a touch over 550# per tire

150,000 gross on a5 axle, all kinds of things are going to be Breaking, and often, I don’t know how long the tires would handle that abuse, but add operating on logging roads, and truck and tires aren’t going to stand up to that Gross Abuse for long

I would enjoy watching a log driver kicking off a log or two, can’t imagine how they do it

I was hauling restaurant supplies from 1988-2002, and There was what we used to call the “produce stand” about MP 60, West Bound I-84, about 6 miles East of the Wyeth Scale, bulk produce trucks would use the pull out to run off some produce when they were overweight

We have gotten plenty of Apples, Potatoes, Watermelons, Onions (Walla Walla Sweets, great for Onion Rings) and Carrots

Doug
standard 5 axle set up, drop axles didnt start getting popular until the 80's.

the other thing to keep in mind, the trucks may not be fully extended, so there more then likely would be way more weight on one end or the other.

a good cheater bar could easily roll a log or two off the top of a load, as long as the stakes are not in the way.

I think OR has the rule now were in ya can't load above the stakes at all, but in WA you can still mound em up

Loading Truck.jpg
This. From a forester standpoint, this style of truck is better in the woods than the semi types used in the Midwest. The empty trucks piggyback the trailer and can turn around in tight spaces, back up, and the loader grabs the trailer lifts it off, truck pulls ahead, trailer is lowered and hooked up. Landings can be small. All that is required for a landing is swing room for the log, and enough space to keep folks safe. There is less land affected. This was on a downhill yarding setting. These guys were pretty good to work with and were familiar with what we wanted the end product to be.

Thanks SlowP and Northman, a truck with a bunk, and a reach trailer is what I suspected you meant, I didn’t know if axle count or configuration factored into it. I have seen PNW Log Trucks up to 8 axles

I don’t see too many loaded above the stakes, so mounded above would be easier to roll a log or two off with a Peavey or cant hook. Getting up on the load and doing it isn’t something that I would care to do, Great way get Hurt, it ain’t just driving around a car that logs get a mind of their own

Doug

150k on a west coast truck?

that some ******** right there.

many of those 70's trucks are still operating out here, and I've driven them, getting up to 90k is a balancing act, anything over that risks being over height.

105500# is current legal limit, and that generally means truck and pup, or super trains as they are referred too

105500 you can do with a 5 axle truck and 3 axle trailer if it’s stretched enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

standard 5 axle set up, drop axles didnt start getting popular until the 80's.

the other thing to keep in mind, the trucks may not be fully extended, so there more then likely would be way more weight on one end or the other.

a good cheater bar could easily roll a log or two off the top of a load, as long as the stakes are not in the way.

I think OR has the rule now were in ya can't load above the stakes at all, but in WA you can still mound em up

We can still load above the stakes in Oregon, now to your weight issue there use to be a lot of mainlines that you would never touch a paved road that’s where you would see 150k on a standard truck. Last time we worked off of one we were sending in 145k truck and trailer loads of pulp to the sorting yard.

Thanks SlowP and Northman, a truck with a bunk, and a reach trailer is what I suspected you meant, I didn’t know if axle count or configuration factored into it. I have seen PNW Log Trucks up to 8 axles

I don’t see too many loaded above the stakes, so mounded above would be easier to roll a log or two off with a Peavey or cant hook. Getting up on the load and doing it isn’t something that I would care to do, Great way get Hurt, it ain’t just driving around a car that logs get a mind of their own

Doug

Doug have you seen the Marston trucks with 9 axles?

We can still load above the stakes in Oregon, now to your weight issue there use to be a lot of mainlines that you would never touch a paved road that’s where you would see 150k on a standard truck. Last time we worked off of one we were sending in 145k truck and trailer loads of pulp to the sorting yard.

straight truck, no drop axles, no pup trailers, not offroad trucks, highway trucks I find that hard to believe.

Besides dude is claiming they sent these over the highway

105500 you can do with a 5 axle truck and 3 axle trailer if it’s stretched enough.

True, but we're talking 70's tech, not many 5 axle trucks and 3 axle trailers in the 70's, a very very few 4 axle trucks, but I don't think I saw a 3 axle trailer until the 90's

True, but we're talking 70's tech, not many 5 axle trucks and 3 axle trailers in the 70's, a very very few 4 axle trucks, but I don't think I saw a 3 axle trailer until the 90's

We use to see them down here Van Ryden made a ton of them and still does.

Doug have you seen the Marston trucks with 9 axles?

I’m pretty sure that I have, but wasn’t Positive, so I wasn’t going to mention 9 axles, but I have seen plenty of 8 axle set ups

The 9 axle Marston trucks have a self steering drop axle in the middle of the trailer, IIRC

Doug

I’m pretty sure that I have, but wasn’t Positive, so I wasn’t going to mention 9 axles, but I have seen plenty of 8 axle set ups

The 9 axle Marston trucks have a self steering drop axle in the middle of the trailer, IIRC

Doug

Some of those trailers are from the early 70’s Van Ryden and the newer ones are Lincoln trailers, some of the Lincoln 3 axle ones the rear axle lifts for backing up.

Latest posts

Back