Correct bar for 090/070?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I went into my local Stihl dealer today and grabbed a 30" bar for the 070 I brought last weekend. They made all the standard 'that's old etc.' statements but looked it up in the book and then selected the bar that was recommended. The bar is a 3002 000 9741 and it doesn't fit. The slot is correct but that's about it. It'll fit up to the adjuster if the chain's off (91DL) but I'd be lucky if it'd give me 5mm of adjustment plus the oiler doesn't match up.

What should I ask for when I return it?

The bad news is those bars are NLA from stihl. Baileys has access to bars for the 070 / 090 mount but they won't be cheap. I believe the only supplier still making that mount pattern is Cannon. I feel your pain. I've been trying to find a couple 41" and bigger bars for mine but haven't had much luck

There are plenty of 3002 bars available new. There's a 41" on Ebay right now. But yes you do often have to re-drill oil & adjuster holes. That is a common practice as is lengthening the stud slot. Stihl, Cannon, and GB have a wide variety of bars for 070/090's.

STIHL changed the 3002 mount pattern. That 41" you're referring to will fit an 880 / 084 but not an 090/070

Actually the 070 and 090 have their own bar mount and are labelled as such. While the 3002 mount will fit the slot, everything else needs to be modified as stated above. Some aftermarket bars have both sets of holes in them so will fit all the larger Stihls. Also, 3002 mount bars fit to older saws will sometimes require a different dl count to fit. (ie, the bar will fit but the dl count listed on the bar won't be a long enough chain.)

I have a 070 and need a bar. Is Cannon and the other bar any good? Any brands to avoid. Stihl bar 36' 3003 000 7353 didn't fit

As far as long bars go, Cannon is the best new bar for that saw, followed by an old Cannon, General, or Old 3 rivit or rollernose Oregon. The Total/Tsumura are too big of $$$ for my liking. The GB's have a pencil profile and tend to be whippy, though priced affordably. The 59" Stihl IS just plain whippy hard rails or not.

I recently bought a Stihl rollomatic bar large mount and that is all any one need to know. With measuring and drilling should take a half an hour. I have several other bars could have used for a template, but I wanted to optimize the maximum amount of adjustment. I measured and then used a center punch. Thanks

I recently bought a Stihl rollomatic bar large mount and that is all any one need to know. With measuring and drilling should take a half an hour. I have several other bars could have used for a template, but I wanted to optimize the maximum amount of adjustment. I measured and then used a center punch. Thanks
thanks

Latest posts

Back