Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConservationNation

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been using a Husqvarna roller sharpener, and my chain doesn't look right to me. I feel like I'm cutting too high and not leaving enough "lip" on the front part of the tooth. Is this true, and how can I correct it? Thanks.IMG_20170407_203257705.jpg IMG_20170407_203238522.jpg IMG_20170407_203226175.jpg IMG_20170407_203209393.jpg

Those roller sharpeners are designed to be used with specific chains. It should say on the front side of the roller which pitch it fits. If your chain doesn't match, you're going to take off the "lip" because the roller guide isn't going to seat on the chain properly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That should be the size for a 3/8 chain....what size is yours? Looks 3/8 to me, unless you have tiny hands.

I have one of those buy I only use it for depth gauge filing.

That said, I think your gullet is not deep enough. You have darn near a 90 degree angle on the cutting edge - the tooth can't cut, only scrape. I'd freehand a few trying to get the file deeper and developing more hook.

I can't imagine that the guide caused this...but don't know for sure. Are you certain the file diameter is correct??

That should be the size for a 3/8 chain....what size is yours? Looks 3/8 to me, unless you have tiny hands.

That said, I think your gullet is not deep enough. You have darn near a 90 degree angle on the cutting edge - the tooth can't cut, only scrape. I'd freehand a few trying to get the file deeper and developing more hook.

I can't imagine that the guide caused this...but don't know for sure. Are you certain the file diameter is correct??
He has Trump sized hands!!!

Chain is 3/8, file is 7/32. Stihl yellow. I seat the guide firmly on the chain, and try to make contact with both rollers when I make my stroke.

I'd guess one of these three...(1) Guide is sitting too high for some reason, (2) You're not staying on top of the rollers, or (3) The file is too big.
The file being too big wouldn't surprise me. I guess I didn't think about it, as my dealer recommend that roller/file combo. Is 7/32 fine for Oregon 3/8 chain?

My Echo CS-400's use S62 Oregon chain, a low kickback 3/8, .050 chain. They take a 5/32" file.

Always hard to judge from a distance. Couple of thoughts from your photos:

- The Husqvarna roller guides are designed for Husqvarna chain. They work with a lot of Oregon chains (since they used to make all Husky chains), but may not seat exactly right on what appears to be STIHL (?) chain.

- Different file guides basically do the same thing, but they don't all do it exactly the same. If you are just switching over to a new file guide, or if this was factory new chain, it may take a few extra strokes to 'seat' the file in the new positions, and create the tooth profile.

- It looks like the file is sharpening the top plate cutting edge, and the upper portion of the side plate cutting edge - these are the 'business' parts of the cutter. You may have to go back and clean out / reshape the gullet free hand to get the finished hook profile you see on new chain. like in @HarleyT 's photo.

Philbert

If you are using a Husky guide on a Stihl chain make sure the guide sits to the end of the slot on the chain I have had Stihl std 3/8chains that the side plates etc were to thick for the tool to fit fully down a couple of swipes in the slot with a thin flat file cured the problem

Latest posts

Back