Correcting abused chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBJR

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently started working at a company that the previous workers had no clue about chain sharpening. Never took down the depth gauge and seemed to have sharpened with 3/8 pico files for full 3/8 chains. Was told they just put new chains on once they quit cutting. Have about 30 25" loops to sharpen. Just ordered the Oregon 410/120 grinder cause it took me an hour to correct just one loop with a hand file. Never used a grinder so am seeking tips to correct all the damage done. Guessing i need to start a bit like a stump grinder and correct along the link then "get the gullet" then the hook of the tooth. Thats how i did it hand filing but again never used a grinder. Any tips or link to a good instructional video would be greatly appreciated.

How's the new grinder working out? I ordered a 410 but it arrived with a bent motor shaft so I sent it back. I spent another $150 for a super Jolly which is an Oregon 620 (Made by the same company, Tecomec). They make the 410 as well.

I'm not a grinding guru (yet). Id say to start don't take too much off the tooth and over heat it besides looking up the angles for the chain and grinding it to spec. You tube seems to have a lot of good instructional videos

One thought in my head is say if you hit something and really trash just a few teeth is it really worth grinding down the rest of the teeth on the chain so they are all the same size as the ones that got wrecked? I get it if the chain is full of different sized teeth it won't cut right but the thought is to try to get the maximum amount of mileage out of my chains now that I'm the guy behind the grinding disk.

I'll still touch up with a file in between grindings.

The first thing is to remember that the abused chain needs good support and has to understand what happened wasnt there fault and that they can, with your help, get through this

Its so sad that in modern life that so often abused chains can be out there being glossed over or ignored although all the bad signs are out there, they can

-Have started getting into damaging habits, uptake of things such as smoking are a desperate call for help

-They can go from following a straight path to to habitually veering off at every chance

-In severe cases, if left unchecked, it not only effects them but can damage those who are trying to guide them through the straight and narrow

Physical abuse is a terrible thing and the appropriate authorities should be contacted as its very very important that those that physically abuse chains should be brought to justice

Break the chain of abuse to chains of abuse

#chainsarepeopleto

Buy a raker gauge, then sharpen each cutter till it's sharp. Match each raker to it's cutter. Not till each cutter is the same length since that's a waste of time/chain. If a tooth is in real bad shape slowly grind away at it, little by little. You want to create the least amount of heat possible. If the cutter turns blue/black you went too fast with the grinder.

So how do you propose ending this circle of abuse? I fear that the abused chain will continue to revolve in this unhealthy enviroment until its life comes to an end.

Well never got started with the grinder as it was broken when I opened the box. The cast aluminum that holds the chain stop was snapped. Have been using the Husqvarna roller file guide and works great. Like it better than the pfred 2 in 1.

There's a current co-worker that insists on sharpening the teeth top plate perpendicular to the bar. These are round ground chains. Got pissy with me for bringing it back to the same as witness marks. Is he on to something or am I right to follow the advice of chain manufactures? He says he uses square ground on his personal saws but from what I've read it's a much different process than fileing round ground.

There's a current co-worker that insists on sharpening the teeth top plate perpendicular to the bar. These are round ground chains. Got pissy with me for bringing it back to the same as witness marks. Is he on to something or am I right to follow the advice of chain manufactures? He says he uses square ground on his personal saws but from what I've read it's a much different process than fileing round ground.
Pretty sure if you get them filed correctly it will be easy to show rather than just tell him he's doing it wrong.

With the amount of rehab needed, might be worth considering a diamond wheel (or the like) for the grinder - can remove more without overheating the chain. Might save you some time.

Go figure yet another Oregon 410 Grinder found dead on arrival after it was shipped to you.

Check out the pics of the environmentally friendly packing material my Oregon 410 Grinder with the bent motor shaft was shipped in. You can see the wear on unit where it has been rubbing on the smashed cardboard.

The motor lays right on the bottom of the box with nothing to protect it from abuse. Got lots of worthless biodegradable packing in there though. Sure would be nice to have some of that nasty non politically correct styrofoam for protection. Hey wait a second, then we couldn't wave our company flag telling the world how great our concern for environmental stewardship is. Was the cost to the environment for manufacturing a product that can't be used made less by the biodegradable container we shipped it in?

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_151543.jpg
    IMG_20200318_151543.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200318_151531.jpg
    IMG_20200318_151531.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200318_152609.jpg
    IMG_20200318_152609.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 9
With the amount of rehab needed, might be worth considering a diamond wheel (or the like) for the grinder - can remove more without overheating the chain. Might save you some time.
Not a diamond wheel, a Carbon Nitride Grinding (CBN) wheel for bench grinders. They leave a perfect edge, never wear, don't emit dust, and don't burn the chain. You'll trash your stone wheels.

Attachments

• cbn grinding wheel.png
    cbn grinding wheel.png
    298.9 KB · Views: 8
Not a diamond wheel, a Carbon Nitride Grinding (CBN) wheel for bench grinders. They leave a perfect edge, never wear, don't emit dust, and don't burn the chain. You'll trash your stone wheels.
I wonder, has anyone here used the ABN wheels from dinasaw?

Back