Corrosion on Magnesium

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what causes magnesium saw parts to corrode. I have a few 012 recoil covers, and one has blistered paint and a bit of corrosion in spots, while the other is free of this. Is there a chemical in the resin or sap of some woods, like perhaps eucalyptus, that attacks the molecular structure of the magnesium? Pics follow.

Here is the cover in question:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Magnesium corrosion looks like wet drywall dust. You have some gold old fashioned steel corrosion showing on the corner in the last pic, probably from a steel fastener. I would agree with damp conditions being the culprit. Leaving a saw sit on concrete for long periods of time does not help. AS member manual posted a thread on magnesium corrosion in aircraft that would also apply to saws.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=71834&highlight=magnesium+corrosion

(Mike, hope you and your family are well. :cheers:)

chainsawlady

I was told by a Homelite rep. several years ago, that magnesium aluminum is derived from sea water and when it is exposed to moisture over a period of time it goes back to its original state. I have believed this for a long time, but don't know it that is true.
chainsawlady

I agree with rupedoggy and urbicide that water is the culprit. I have seen it before in saws and it can get quite ugly if left unchecked.

Talk to Ekka if you want to know about Magnesium corrosion. The acid in palm trees destorys a saw in about 1 year. This one he sent me to salvage some parts from.

117202383_cbwCv-M.jpg

117202394_r66Cz-M.jpg

Fire is kind of hard on Magnesium as well:)
117632927_EejUz-M.jpg

117632937_zXuYx-M.jpg

Bare Mag corrodes. Just a simple fact. Keep it clean and dry, and as Brad pointed out, palms (and bananas) corrode mag like there's no tomorrow.

The mag transaxle cases one of my old race cars used to use had a type of anodising to prevent corrosion.

Back